XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter battery charging - keep connected or disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:19 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Winter battery charging - keep connected or disconnect?

I take my XKR "off the road" for the 6 months from October to April.
I always hook the battery up to a CETEK chargery on winter setting.

Question - is it best to disconnect the battery over the winter while charging or leave it connected to keep those circuits that need it powered up?

Steve

Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Leave it connected - it's one of the main benefits of having a CTEK.

If you do choose to disconnect over the Winter, you'll lose all the adaptive settings although that's more a nuisance than a problem.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
worrasf (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I leave mine connected as well and she's always ready for the spring (and so am I)

Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm in the same boat, I leave mine connected. I was hoping global warming would eliminate the need to put our jags away for winter.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by worrasf
I take my XKR "off the road" for the 6 months from October to April.
I always hook the battery up to a CETEK chargery on winter setting.

Question - is it best to disconnect the battery over the winter while charging or leave it connected to keep those circuits that need it powered up?

Steve
Yep...i do exactly the same and the same time period, CETEK connected to the battery, car connected to the battery and turn on the ignition 1 X per month to let the fuel pump know that it needs to "wake up" after a long sleep!!

I also.....Lift the blades off the screen, 1/4 tank of fuel only, wheels parked in tyre savers (like they have for caravans) prevents the flat spots, paintwork is waxed but not rubbed off, double locked so the Security Module is the only module that's awake (saves power drain), a few empty cardboard boxes inside the car (i read somewhere it pulls the damp out of the air), moth ***** under the car & tennis ***** in the tail pipes to stop the mice moving in and setting up home, soft cover over the top and then full dust cover to wrap her up warm. Before start up in March / April replace the eng oil & filter & 10lts of fresh fuel put in the tank.
I've done this for the last 3 years and no hiccups so for me it works !!
TS

worrasf (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by smithtrevor
wheels parked in tyre savers (like they have for caravans) prevents the flat spots:
Good tip - not thought of that. Are the "standard" width tyre savers sufficient for the rear wheels or do you use a pair of savers for each tyre?

Steve

Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Connected and tenderizing...

Originally Posted by Fulton
I'm in the same boat, I leave mine connected. I was hoping global warming would eliminate the need to put our jags away for winter.
Nope, it's getting colder, if this summer is any indication. I'm buying tire chains for my truck this week. Ice down here is serious.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I leave the batteries in and connected to the CTEKs on both cars through the winter.

...1/4 tank of fuel only...
Interesting. I've read elsewhere that the car should be stored with a full tank to prevent moisture from accumulating in the tank while stored. Also, do you (or does anyone) use Sta-bil anymore? I haven't used it with the XK8 and have had no problems, but thought I'd pose the question..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Ice down here is serious.

Is the ice really that serious in Dallas? Just curious

Old 08-19-2014, 02:18 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

to leave it connected is surely not a bad advice.

despite i have a better feeling if its disconnected because of the fact that there is given various charging power to the battery and our cars are a bit sensitive regarding electronic issues.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by worrasf
Good tip - not thought of that. Are the "standard" width tyre savers sufficient for the rear wheels or do you use a pair of savers for each tyre?

Steve
Each wheel is on a pair (one isn't wide enough) to stop the flat spots, also fill the tyres with a little more air during storage. I also read that filling the tank prevents condensation but then again petrol goes stale after 6 months, so the thought of starting her up on a tank full of #### didn't appeal to me. TS

Last edited by smithtrevor; 08-19-2014 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Typo
worrasf (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

IMHO, I'm more comfortable disconnecting the battery. You just never know what could happen to allow weird voltage whacking the electronics. Full/half fuel tanks not as much of a concern these days with evaporative systems blocking off ambient air when the engine is off (however, the oil in the engine and transmission are also hygroscopic and have constant, open ventilation - are you equally concerned about them? An automatic transmission is very susceptible to damage from moisture, the friction materials inside use a water-based adhesive... just sayin') StaBil still a worthy idea. Not too keen on not wiping off excess wax, just something that could collect/hold moisture and hold it against the finish. Plus most waxes are cleaner/wax which means 'abrasives/solvents included'. Cardboard and other paper products are heaven for insects. Maybe use silica gel packets?

Last edited by Beav; 08-19-2014 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beav:
01Silverstone (08-19-2014), Dennis07 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great tips. Never thought of some of the issues.My solution was move to Florida.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I just purchased a CTEK7002. I am going to leave it connected when the weather starts to turn and the XKR is in the garage for the winter.

I have an '05 Audi A6 as my daily driver, so the XKR can sit comfortably in the heated garage.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default where do you connect the charger

After replacing my 3th battery in 6 years I just bought an Ctek MSX 5.

Where should I connect it to? directly to the battery so leaving the trunk open. Or using the connection points under the bonnet.
Do you leave it always on when parked longer than a few days?

Regards,
Luc

Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Winter storage of the battery,

Yep...i do exactly the same and the same time period, CETEK connected to the battery, car connected to the battery and turn on the ignition 1 X per month to let the fuel pump know that it needs to "wake up" after a long sleep!!

I also.....Lift the blades off the screen, 1/4 tank of fuel only, wheels parked in tyre savers (like they have for caravans) prevents the flat spots, paintwork is waxed but not rubbed off, double locked so the Security Module is the only module that's awake (saves power drain), ...............
I've done this for the last 3 years and no hiccups so for me it works !!
I agree, HOWEVER I am not clear on what you mean by" double locking "the vehical. Can you then open the car in the normal manner or ..?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
(however, the oil in the engine and transmission are also hygroscopic and have constant, open ventilation - are you equally concerned about them?
Oil and transmission fluid are not hygroscopic.

It's easy to get carried away with winter storage ideas, most do no harm but very few are actually required or of benefit. The single biggest thing to do, other than battery concerns, is keep the car in an environment with as little temperature and moisture fluctuation as possible.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I keep it connected, remove the injectors fuse and crank it over just a bit every 2 months,,,

Keep the wheels off the ground, tank full; Petrol does not go stale that quickly

Change the oil prior to hibernating, think less alkalic is better in storage. Put her to sleep under a sheet with the top closed, and windows opened. Garage is never colder than 10 degrees Celcius, and has some ventilation.

Someone write a book on what really is the best way...

Old 08-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by keestanis
crank it over just a bit every 2 months,,,
There is no benefit in doing so. Cold cranking is when most engine wear occurs anyway.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Well up here in Cincy we drive ours some, not a lot, try not when it snows and until the salt is washed off the roads. If I do drive it and it gets salty, take it to the car wash and hit the bottom real good. I bought it to drive, not sit for 6 months.

zray (11-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Winter battery charging - keep connected or disconnect?