XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Issue 3, PS Hose replaced with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Winter Issue 3, PS Hose replaced with pics

Resolved my winter issue 3 today. Replaced the pressure hose from the pump to rack.

Steering DIY came in handy but I grabbed a few pics that might be helpful in future.

First is the tools, 10mm socket to remove the hose connection bolt to the rack but when it comes the pump side you'll want a 5/8" claw foot with a long extension. The JTIS said to remove from top but I have no idea what tool they were using or how much they removed to get to it.

2nd pic is the view of the pump pressure connection from under the car.

3rd is the new hose installed. The routing differs from the old hose in that in no longer goes around the rotary valve body. Instead you have to slide the hose on the right side of the valve as you look at the rack. A bit of maneuvering will get it through along with a long screw driver to guide the pump connection end. Leave to covers on the ends of the hose until your ready to connect.

Last trick I used was to put a piece of electrical tape on the small pipe between the pump nut and hose. This kept the nut spaced away from the hose so you can get the claw foot in to grab the nut. Since you're working vertically it would slide back against the hose and you couldn't get the wrench on it. Just use the extension and claw foot to get the thread started then insert the socket to tighten it up.

Hope this helps future members.

Attached Thumbnails Winter Issue 3, PS Hose replaced with pics-toolsreqd.jpg   Winter Issue 3, PS Hose replaced with pics-pumpconn.jpg   Winter Issue 3, PS Hose replaced with pics-newhoseroute.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by DpezXK8:
cjd777 (05-22-2014), MRomanik (03-28-2014), preuss2 (05-22-2014), shanxk8 (05-22-2014), The Coupe (03-28-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi DpezXK8,

I think i might have the exact same problem as you've posted about. From my investigating, i seem to have a leak from the same connection to the PS pump as you have in pic #2.

My question for you is about the pressure hose, where did you source that part from?

Any tips (or basic procedure) to replacing it beyond what you've already posted? Or is it a pretty straightforward disconnect both ends, and replace. Are there any other parts that are useful to remove to simplify the repair?

Funny thing also, is that my problem appeared after bringing my car out of winter "storage". I wonder if the cold caused the leak somehow for both of us (we had a rather brutal winter).

Thanks in advance,
David (in Canada)

Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi David,

Pic 2 was showing the connection to the bottom side of the PS Pump, just dirty, happens after 200K miles. My leak was actually at the universal joint by the rack connection.

I bought mine through parts geek online for $110.00 but jaguarparts.com has it for $108.00. Either way it is an original jaguar item. May want to check with the forum sponsor who is a dealer, if he's still our sponsor. I believe they give discounts to forum members. It's the P/S pressure hose and is different that the original that came in ours.

Definitely need the crows foot for the job.

My recommended process for replacing:

1. Place a tray to catch the steering fluid by the rack connection.
2. Disconnect the rack side and drain
3. Disconnect the pump side.
4. Cut old hose in rubber area between steel ends to aid in removal otherwise impossible to get out, I couldn't get it, that's why I cut it.
5. Replace with new hose and run it through the frame from the rack side shown in pic 3. Old hose went to the left side of the steering connection but new hose will feed through on right side. Nothing came with the new hose to explain this so it took a little bit to figure out how to route the hose.
6. Reconnect at both ends and don't forget that little piece of tape on the pump side with the crows foot.
7. Add fluid which I believe is dexron III. Actually transmission fluid not PS fluid which I have seen in Fords.
8. Follow procedure for bleeding air out of system. I think it's on the forum if you do a search. You have to out fluid in and move steering from stop to stop with car in ACC not Running a few times to get air out. It's on the forum somewhere or in the JTIS.

Good Luck and I hope that is all it is.

Dan

Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info. My leak appears to be coming from the pump side of that pressure hose. I am wondering if it is just a o-ring, but given that the part is 18 years old now, probably best to just replace the whole hose.

I'm hoping to get the job done over the weekend so will be searching locally (& suspect i need to go to the dealer). I hope i can find it in stock in the city.

Thanks again & have a great long weekend down there,
David

Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM

Thank you again for the advice. Upon taking it all apart, i removed the steering pump and determined it was leaking & not the pressure pipe.

Replacement is on order & hopefully it goes back together more quickly than it all came apart.