XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage Rodent Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Winter Storage Rodent Protection

I am getting ready to cover up the Jag, pump up the tires and hook up the battery tender. I noticed mouse activity inside my air filter box last spring. The air intake tube runs into the passenger side wheelwell, but I can't see where it ends. I want to block it off so mice don't come in again. Does anyone have a diagram showing where the fresh air tube ends. Thanks,

Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

You also need to worry about the hood liner. My Expedition hood liner got chewed up by mice a while back. I left a bag of grass seed in the garage one winter and the mice discovered it and had a 3 month buffet. They were apparently using the hood liner for bedding material. I recommend putting those little green mouse bait/poison cubes in tight corners of your garage and other locations where mice can find them but pets can't

Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Also, you could always just take off the air filter/intake assembly and stuff something down the hole from the inside.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

This cat should help protect your rodents LOL.

+ ^, also 'disturb' the car regularly.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

You could open up the air box and stuff steel wool into the tube from the inside. But as Reverend Sam alluded to, if you are having that much rodent activity there are other things to worry about.

My wife's car had a check engine light and after some diagnostic work it was determined something chewed through a wiring harness near the fuel tank. Apparently wiring makes good nesting material too. Our exterminator said to put glue traps around the perimeter of the garage. but in your case I'd put them near around the tires too.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I've also heard that you can put a few of those fabric softener sheets under the hood (bonnet). Apparently they don't like the fresh, clean smell. A couple years ago the little buggers got into my boat and chewed through the speedo line. It is pitot pressure tube and I couldn't figure out why I was getting water in the boat.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

OMG!!! No glue traps! I'm not a member of PETA or a tree hugger. I'll kill mice with a shovel and not give it a second thought. But glue traps are just cruel! I was doing work at a big grocery chain warehouse a while back and I saw a rat stuck in a glue trap. It was still alive, and I could see it struggling to get free. It couldn't move at all, even it's head was stuck to the glue, but I could still see it trying to get unstuck. I wanted to kill it to put it out of it's misery, but I didn't have anything to kill it with. I told the maintenance guy, but he didn't seem to care. It probably struggled in the glue for two days before it finally died. I hate glue traps.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Just an anecdotal report about using Coyote urine to keep the mice away. Available at garden shops. No first hand experience.
Mike

Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry Reverend I certainly don't want to offend anyone. I am actually an animal lover, we have rescue dogs and for arguments sake I have yet to see a mammal caught in one of ours (checked them twice a day) but it seems to be the only way to catch the scorpions and the centipedes here (caught a small snake once too), but it definitely saves the dogs, cats and humans from getting stung. - Those scorpion stings hurt.

Last edited by MarcB; 11-16-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We used to keep the dog's food bowl in the garage. I noticed that we were filling it quite often. Well turns out that the mice were stealing the food, and storing it IN MY JAG! They had it in the trunk area underneath my spare tire, under the hood around the insulation (in front of the fuse boxes), and worst of all in my convertible top liner. I noticed the trunk, and hood area in the winter. I didn't notice the convertible top liner until the warm weather came, and I put the top down for the first time. Dog food was dropping out all over.

Sorry to say Rev, I've used the glue traps. Cruel, but effective. Just to add insult to injury, I used the dog food as bait. I know it sounds mean, but I tried the "no kill" traps and my wife would just set the mice free in the yard. I guess she thought they wouldn't return.... Dah!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the time you could buy moth ***** in the store, but am not sure they are available now. One ball strategically placed will do the trick

Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

We have lived on the edge of 300 acres of woods for over 20 years. Our mouse problem amounts to killing about two to three a night starting in October. We have used poisons, fancy traps, etc... but the best has been the old fashioned designed mouse trap baited with peanut butter(they seem to go nuts over peanut butter). We will kill about two or three a night for two or three nights. Then we'll have two or three days then they'll start again this last for about a month or two then nothing for the rest of the season. I'll usually have two cars stored at the house and have never had a problem.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, that's what I use; old-fashioned mouse traps. I bought some of those newer plastic ones, too, the ones that look kinda like a giant clothes pin. They work well, too. Plus they're easy to set and it's easy to dispose of the mouse.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moth *****

I have used moth ***** quite successfully to keep mice away from cars in winter storage. Spread some underneath the vehicle near the wheels and put a few in bowls in the engine compartment and trunk. I also plug up the exhaust pipe and air intake.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the spin traps. I had a little mouse decide he wanted free room and board in my garage last year. Placing the spin traps in the corner with a little mouse attractant nailed him on the first night after using some other traps for a couple of days without success. Instant death, no mess.

I've also heard mothballs and fabric softener sheets work as well. Mothball smells hang around, which you might not like.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have figured how to block the exhaust pipes and install moth ***** in the air box (where the air filter is). Where is the fresh air intake for the heater/AC located so I can block or install moth *****? I would prefer to block the intake rather that place moth *****.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

How do you trap the moths?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll be out of the country for almost the whole month of December. Both cars will be garaged in my house, no mice/rodent activity signs whatsoever but the garage is not climate-controlled?

Is there anything I need to worry about for leaving them like that for 3 1/2 weeks? My daily driver was fine last year, not sure if there's any precaution need to be done with the Jag.