Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring despair post engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Wiring despair post engine replacement

Hello guys

I have not quite concluded an audacious engine replacement orchestrated by me "almost inept" and an extremely weathered old spanner monkey friend of mine Nissan/Toyota expert, but I won't hold that against him.

I imported a used engine from the UK to my native Jordan, matched by VIN number (mine starts with A24...). I think my car fits as one of the 2002.5 models, updated from 2002 but not 4.2 just yet... I think

Any way, so I opened up the new-used engine and the tensioners were already swapped for the metallic ones, and the whole thing looked in good health. Que a day of arm wrestling the old out of the engine bay, and another aikido-origaming the new in... My hands, shoulders, hamstrings knees and a couple more vital organs are making me pay for years of underuse and hours of over confidence.

Anyway, the twist in the story goes as follows: this isn't the first time the engine was replaced, and the first time this was done, the replacement was from a 1999 model that didn't have VVT. The engine harness apparently came with that non-VVT engine Cause it doesn't show the VVT connectors. That engine ran OK, except for error codes for disconnected camshaft position sensors (p0010 & p0020 I think). The new-used engine does have VVT coming it of the cam covers.

with the harness not designed to accommodate those VVT connectors, I dug out an engine harness on an older model (different looking TB) that did have VVT. I tried to match the wiring and tho there were many fundamental differences, the VVT connectors were one wire from each connector running to the same computer connector pin leading to the first wire on the MAS, with the other two leading to two deleted pins on that connector (the big bulky one in the engine bay, by the way, where is it supposed to hang from?). I checked the other side and the sockets were still there. The plan was to figure out per connector which terminal went to the first MAS wire pin, and which went to the deleted pin, then figure out the deleted pins left from right, although I have already figured that out from the other harness. In all cases, I knew that I should be able to run the car without Connecting them, right?

But I never made it that far. The car went directly into failsafe/restricted performs and shot out TBS (the round connector on the right, circuit A?) and MAS temp Errors. Battery was really low but after using cables managed to get the engine to turn, but not to start. After many failed attempts I remembered that the MAS connectors on the other harness with VVT connectors indicated that that car used a different MAS, which was odd. I thought they all used the same one, no? I re-wired for the alternative wiring order, which affected the other 4 wires, and the engine started, albeit restricted performance. I think I killed the MAS by rewiring it, and I could see that the once intact small black bulb was now badly shattered. TBS error endured and the car revved at a steady 1.2 not responsive to the throttle.

So, I need a new MAS. Did the MAS change? when? and what should I be using? Please guys, I'm running out of patience as well as ideas...

What about the TPS error? The TB is a refurbished one from the states bought a couple of years ago..

In short, out of depth and in need of a lifeline... Help

Old 05-30-2015, 03:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by jafari
......... So, I need a new MAS. Did the MAS change? when? and what should I be using? Please guys, I'm running out of patience as well as ideas...

What about the TPS error? The TB is a refurbished one from the states bought a couple of years ago..........
The core part Number on the Air Flow Sensor has been LNE1620 for many Model Years but the suffix changes with N/A or S/C and VIN. I think this is the right range for the VIN of your engine donor car:

Wiring despair post engine replacement-maf.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The TPS is a regular issue raised on the forum. It wouldn't surprise me if a refurbished TB has got problems again after a couple of years.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
jafari (05-30-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick update;

GGGraham, thanks for the details, very useful...

The engine/mechanics are in rude health, but the electrics are still haunted by evil spirits. Probably due to age and heat, I've found connectors that have come loose, broken off both the MAS and PPS sockets (harness side), and have used my butcher art approach in fixing them both (pics to follow).

The car runs OK on and off, and I think I've solved every electrical problem out there, that is apart from the TPS thing. At least, now I have one problem to tackle and we're in business... hopefully... well, as much business as having an XK8 can bring.

Tomorrow, I'll post a few related pics to this thread as well as start a new thread on my Dr Strangelove approach to tackling the ever present TPS thing... unresolved...