XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't crank

Forgive me if this question has been answered already, but I couldn't find anything with a search.

2001 XK8, 56k miles. Was away for two weeks; left cat in my garage, warm and dry. All was well. Came home. Inserted key. Steering wheel adjusted. Dash lights came on. Turned key to ignition and...nothing. Not even a groan. I have a charger on the battery now, but what else could the problem be? Other than a weak battery, what would cause the car to go into a coma like this?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I know it is a little scary when something major happens but lets get the battery hot and see what that leaves.

How old is the battery?

After charging, turn lights on and try cranking: engine turn over? lights dim?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:03 AM

I hope you're right that the battery is the problem. Don't know exact age but pretty sure it isn't the original battery. I'm now running a jumper from my other vehicle, but still won't turn over. Message center readings say "TRAC not available, ACS not available, Transmission fault." Does this tell you anything?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

All the messages sounds like an electrical problem. Might want to disconnect the battery for a minute for a complete reboot of all systems.

Also might want to have the battery checked at a local auto parts store if a charge doesn't fix it.

I'm not real fond of charging a battery connected to all the computer systems in these cars anyway.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
I have experienced this same problem 2 or 3 times now and it was an easy temporary fix. All I had to do was turn the key on and run the shifter through the gears a few times. One time I did start it in Neutral also. This same procedure has worked when it wouldn't try to crank, as well as when it cranked but wouldn't fire. Talk about relief when it fired right up after just moving the shifter! I assume that there is a loose connection related to the shift lever, but I have not looked into a permanent repair for it. This has happened over 4-5 years, so it is not a big problem. Hopefully, your solution will be as easy. Good luck and let us know how you fare.
Regards,
Brian

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You do have a switch that will allow you to start the car in Neutral or Park only and if it is broken or out of adjustment it would prevent you from starting the car. With the codes you are getting it may be possible but to date I have not heard of this problem. Is the shifter in “P”? Let us know what you find.

I agree with TestPoint and charge the battery and see what you have.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Default A switch to start the car in neutral or park?

Originally Posted by Gus
You do have a switch that will allow you to start the car in Neutral or Park only and if it is broken or out of adjustment it would prevent you from starting the car. With the codes you are getting it may be possible but to date I have not heard of this problem. Is the shifter in “P”? Let us know what you find.

I agree with TestPoint and charge the battery and see what you have.
Newbie speaks

I haven't noticed such a switch. Would you tell where it is located and how it is used? Thanks.

My 2000 XK8 is having the same problem - no crank & same messages on dashboard. That car sits in the garage most of the time, weeks at a time , and I just assumed the battery was drained, as it often does starting from 3-4 years after the new battery was installed.

BTW, does anyone still have the actual measurements (length x width x height) of the original battery and the location of the vent that came with XK8 2000? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I was unable to find the switch on Alldata to show you what it looks like. I did fond that the “Neutral Switch” is located at the “J” shifter and it cost $510.00 part# LJA6201AD. In talking with my Transmission friend we both agree that you should test it with a volt ohm meter to see if it is not working properly (open and or close contact on Neutral & Park). He told me that the switch could be accessed from inside the car at the J shifter. I will continue to keep looking and see if I can find additional information for you. At least this is a start…

Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Well, this is just plain strange. I tested the battery and found it to be in good order, but charged it anyway. I reinstalled it, hit the ignition and still no crank. In desperation, I suppose, I rocked the car back and forth, then rapidly inserted and withdrew the key several times. I also jiggled the shifter but didn't take it out of park. Lo and behold, the engine roared to life at high revs, almost like it had been flooded or vapor locked (which I know ain't possible.)

So, there may be something to this theory about a switch. Or, my guess is, the cat was PO'ed that I went to Europe for two weeks and didn't bring it a tee-shirt.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am happy for you but just remember that you did not fix it, it just started. Keep that in mind when it does not start again.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Happy that your car is mobile, but I would suggest that you bring your car for a check-up.

My battery is draining while being charged. I'll check out the batteries that could possibly be a good fit for my car and decide on one before I had my battery jump-started. Someone on the forum swore by Interstate MTP-93. Im concerned that it might be a tad too long (0.40 inch) and too short (0.60 inch). More than half-inch shorter means I may need to have my mechanic place a plywood underneath the battery, which may help to sit up the battery from the tray, since the battery is too long for the tray. Do you all think so? But how could anyone on this forum say the MTP-93 fits when the rep from Interstate says it doesn't. The rep recommended MTP-H8 (non-vented). Well...we'll see...

Who has a battery installed in his/her 2000 XK8 recently that fits snugly? Please do tell brand and model # and the actual dimensions of the proper fit battery. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Default It's the battery

No cranks; the car runs fine one day and quits the next; just like what a good battery is supposed to do. Mine got recharged to full suddenly after a few good tries. I took the car out for a drive for nearly two hours, and lets see if it's going to continue to work.

The battery is a Duralast Gold 49-DL from Autozone. Drained many times from sitting idle in the car for weeks to a month or longer. Good battery but too small for the tray. I wonder if their longer shaped 49-DLG with 760CCA is just as reliable a battery as their 49-DL?

What other brands does Johnson Controls make? Is there a chart listing all brands batteries and their makers?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

There is a reason for the vent. A non-vented battery should not be used.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by elandfish
Happy that your car is mobile, but I would suggest that you bring your car for a check-up.

My battery is draining while being charged. I'll check out the batteries that could possibly be a good fit for my car and decide on one before I had my battery jump-started. Someone on the forum swore by Interstate MTP-93. Im concerned that it might be a tad too long (0.40 inch) and too short (0.60 inch). More than half-inch shorter means I may need to have my mechanic place a plywood underneath the battery, which may help to sit up the battery from the tray, since the battery is too long for the tray. Do you all think so? But how could anyone on this forum say the MTP-93 fits when the rep from Interstate says it doesn't. The rep recommended MTP-H8 (non-vented). Well...we'll see...

Who has a battery installed in his/her 2000 XK8 recently that fits snugly? Please do tell brand and model # and the actual dimensions of the proper fit battery. Thanks.
I have a 2000 XK8. I replaced the OEM battery that came with the car that had made in Spain and Jaguar written on it with an Interstate MTP-93 battery. The OEM battery looked like the Interstate MTP-H8 battery.

The MTP-93 is not the exact size as the MTP-H8 but it fits just fine without any movement at all using the standard hardware. The H8 battery has the vent at the end of the battery and the 93 has the vent in the middle of the battery.

The 93 has more juice/power than the H8 that it replaced in my car and I paid $100 dollars less for the MTP-93 and the dealer had the 93 in stock.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As I said, the moving of the Shifter has worked more than once when my XKR had the same problem. It is a great temporary "fix". If you find the actual root and cure of this problem, please share it.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-05-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
I have a 2000 XK8. I replaced the OEM battery that came with the car that had made in Spain and Jaguar written on it with an Interstate MTP-93 battery. The OEM battery looked like the Interstate MTP-H8 battery.

The MTP-93 is not the exact size as the MTP-H8 but it fits just fine without any movement at all using the standard hardware. The H8 battery has the vent at the end of the battery and the 93 has the vent in the middle of the battery.

The 93 has more juice/power than the H8 that it replaced in my car and I paid $100 dollars less for the MTP-93 and the dealer had the 93 in stock.

So you had a good look of the original battery then. Where was the vent in it? I didn't look. I just saw that it was white and rectangular. I think the hose that took the fume out of the car was on the end.

Yes, the 93 has 1000/850 amps. If you didn't have to alter anything to accommodate the 93, I'll really consider it, especially since both dealerships here will replace the OEM with either MT-49 or MTP-93 and the 93 will cost me less than any other brand's .