Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't go in gear, stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Won't go in gear, stuck in park

Hi Guys

I drove to work this morning, all OK no issues with the XK8. I have just jumped in it, car started OK but the gear selector won't fully engage in reverse ( although it will reverse if held there ) and I can't move the gear stick past reverse into Neutral or Drive. There are no warnings on the instrument pack.

Any idea what might cause this and is there a way around it. It feels like there is something stopping the gear stick from moving. The car is stuck on te carpark at work now.

cheers

Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Can you hear a click in the gear selector when you put your foot on the brake? If not, it could be the inhibitor (or whatever it is called) which prevents you from engaging drive without the footbrake on.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Smile

No click heard with brake on but the brake light works. I also checked the brake switches with an ohm meter and they work OK, so I'm thinking there may be a bad connection between the brake switch and the ECU/Transmission controller.

I looked on JTIS and it suggested removing the Torque screw by the gear lever and overiding the gearshift lockout solenoid. that worked, so I am on teh move again temporarily. It's a good job I have a sense of humour and another car or I would be in tears right now.

Thanks for you quick reply

Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

On late model XJs and XKs there is a shift lever bracket on the left side of the transmission. This device is prone to losing a mounting bolt and jamming the shift lever. Very easy to find and fix if that is your problem.

I'm not positive your car is set up this way but I suspect it is. Check it out.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Un do the the plastic Torx screw on the J gate and put a small screw driver down there this will release the mechanism manually, take the screw driver out as soon as it moves

This is another typical brake switch problem

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 AM

I followed jtis voltage checks on the brake switch, all seems ok so there may be a bad connection elsewhere. I have removed the lockout solenoid altogether now, problem gone.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Last year I had a screw come loose from my sun visor, I screwed it back in, and pinched the wire to the vanity mirror and blew a fuse, I did not know it and I couldn't get to shift also. I don't have access to my JTIS to look a the wiring schematics but I believe one of the J-gate sensors is on the same circuit, I'll try to look it up when I get the chance. I believe it was in the drivers side fuse block on the dash

The following users liked this post:
piju1945 (10-18-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by renaultvation
Can you hear a click in the gear selector when you put your foot on the brake? If not, it could be the inhibitor (or whatever it is called) which prevents you from engaging drive without the footbrake on.
Im having the same problem , But i do Hear a clicking noise on when i hit the breaks. What does this mean?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem with vidor, stuck in park

Originally Posted by RCSign
Last year I had a screw come loose from my sun visor, I screwed it back in, and pinched the wire to the vanity mirror and blew a fuse, I did not know it and I couldn't get to shift also. I don't have access to my JTIS to look a the wiring schematics but I believe one of the J-gate sensors is on the same circuit, I'll try to look it up when I get the chance. I believe it was in the drivers side fuse block on the dash
Hi I have had this same issue on more than one occassion. Screw loose, move visor to side...stuck in park. Took to mechanic, from forcing jgate in n out of park using the emergency unlock left of park, disengaging from p, something in jgate broke. Had fixed. Everything good...Until, I had husband replace my visor last night.screwed in..now... stuck in park, each time at start...have to manually disengaged with screw driver.. removed visor screws and can hear electrical working again. Did you find what fuse located on drivers dash where? Fuse or relay? Please help. Thnx