Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would like opinions on this XK

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default any opinions on this XK 4 sale?

Hi,

I'm going to check out this 2006 XK8 tomorrow and would like some opinions. The car has lived in Southern California all of it's life so there shouldn't be any rust issues. I know it'll need a PPI before I can commit but that's if it checks out after a hands on inspection and test drive. Not being a Jag expert, any tips before I take a look will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the ad
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...nk=true&Log=0:

Last edited by SLazz; 03-16-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

Make sure you bring an OBDII code scanner to make sure someone didn't just clear the codes before you got there. Look for oil leaks particularly around the transmission. The 2006 was the last of the series to it has pretty much every update. Be aware there are no map updates for the GPS and what it has will likely be a decade or more old. Raise and lower the top, look at the pump in the trunk and check for leaks there and at the top of the windshield. See if you smell gas on top of he engine (fuel rails have a tendency to develop a leak that is expensive to repair. Look at hoses for cracking will give you an idea of the overall state of the rubber. On the test drive make sure the transmission hits every gear and the sport button actually works. Look for rust in the trunk and under the door sills. Look differences in the metal flake in the paint between body panels and front bumper, may indicate crash damage. Car looks pretty clean from the pictures but you really can't tell from the pictures. Good luck!!

Old 03-16-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll take your shopping list with me. The only item I lack is the OBDII scanner but I think if the car checks out then I'll take to my independent Jag mechanic and have him go over the car in detail. He can hook the car up to a scanner and check for codes. If the dealer won't loan the car out for a PPI then I'll walk. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

on a car this age I would always lift it and look underneath before buying - you also know what you are getting into re bushings, motor and trans mounts, etc may not stop you from buying it but at least you will know going in

Old 03-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts
Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Looks pretty nice from the pics and being a SoCal car is a plus, unless it was by the coast. Ditto on checking the operation of the convertible top.

Doug

Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Better Hurry

Originally Posted by SLazz
Hi,

I'm going to check out this 2006 XK8 tomorrow and would like some opinions. The car has lived in Southern California all of it's life so there shouldn't be any rust issues. I know it'll need a PPI before I can commit but that's if it checks out after a hands on inspection and test drive. Not being a Jag expert, any tips before I take a look will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the ad
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...nk=true&Log=0:
Car looks pretty sweet in the pictures. Prior posts cover the major mechanical concerns. One more thing to look for, the automatic headrest adjusters have an issue which causes them not to adjust properly. When you put seat back forward, the head rest should move (down). Also, one of the buttons on the side of seat should make them go up & down. You cannot move them manually. It is an easy fix at @ $100 per seat (lots of posts in the forum), but who wants to take the car in for repair when you can be blasting the PCH? Defect could be a useful item to bring up when agreeing to price. IMHO the asking price is a bit strong for 2006 XK8 convertible, but just do it. Valets love the car.

I have two XKRs, both with Nav. Nice to see on dash and graphics harken back to the AM in Goldfinger. Bottom line, if you have smart phone, much easier to use for directions. Think of all the used cassettes you can acquire (35 cents each) to build out your period correct music library.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Very informative threads. Thanks! It seems to me the best car to buy will have a strong service history, no rust, no leaks, no major accidents. SMOKE FREE, great paint, very good leather and the list goes on. Actually, this almost sounds like a new car. I do know there are strong examples out there and with a thorough PPI a gem will be found. What's really tough to deal with is the search. These XK100s are so great looking it's hard to hold off but....one day one will show up. Thanks to everyone for the solid advice! Great forum!

Last edited by SLazz; 03-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:46 PM

I'm thinking the asking price is too high even if the car checks out 100%. If all goes well I'll offer around $11,000. If that price works then I can spend the money on suspension upgrades, a stainless steel exhaust and cosmetics. We'll see.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile What a deal and they don'tknow it!

I'm thinking the asking price is too high even if the car checks out 100%. If all goes well I'll offer around $11,000. If that price works then I can spend the money on suspension upgrades, a stainless steel exhaust and cosmetics. We'll see.
SLazz,

This Car is worth every bit of $18,000.00 and they only want $12,999.00....It only has a little over 50,000 Miles and SLazz They apparently don't know that it is a "Victory Edition"! Notice the Front Emblem has a White Ring around it.....The Wheels are 19" Atlas "staggered" New they are worth $1,185.00 each. The dash has an updated wood that only comes in the "Victory's" and the Tail Lights are almost Clear on top and much darker on the bottom than a standard Jag. If you can get it for the asking price you have done very well!
SLazz be there early and don't mention "Victory Edition" to anyone around there! Until you buy it!!!!Then lay it on them..............

Billy Clyde

Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 PM

This car does look like a potential steal but I still have to get a PPI before I can commit. Since the dealer doesn't appear to know what he has I'll still shoot for $11k. I deserve a good deal.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:25 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

SLazz, I agree with Billy Clyde that the price seems a bargain, if everything checks out, at such low mileage. Other things to check for is all seat movements on both seats, floppy vanity mirror on passenger side, non-op center brake lamp. Look closely at the leather on the seats as this is a convertible in sunny So Cal. Make sure there are no signs of any leaks in the soft-top mechanism and that all the hoses are fresh. You don't want the dreaded green shower. Drive it over some bad sections of freeway, somewhere, and see how smoothly it tracks, as a sign of suspension wear.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the edges of our seats!

Old 03-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
SLazz,

This Car is worth every bit of $18,000.00 and they only want $12,999.00....It only has a little over 50,000 Miles and SLazz They apparently don't know that it is a "Victory Edition"! Notice the Front Emblem has a White Ring around it.....The Wheels are 19" Atlas "staggered" New they are worth $1,185.00 each. The dash has an updated wood that only comes in the "Victory's" and the Tail Lights are almost Clear on top and much darker on the bottom than a standard Jag. If you can get it for the asking price you have done very well!
SLazz be there early and don't mention "Victory Edition" to anyone around there! Until you buy it!!!!Then lay it on them..............

Billy Clyde
:

+1, but sometimes greed feeds brain

Old 03-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

A few things to check, even a good mechanic misses these.

Check the drivers headrest. Does it move up and down? The internals easily go.

When you put a seat forward, as if someone is getting in the back of the car, does the head rest motor run bringing the headrests down to the lower position?

Sit in car. Key in ignition. Turn to the last stop before starting. Foot on brake. Put car into reverse. Foot off brake. On the drivers door window/mirror controls tip the mirror switch (shaped like a small bar) towards the passengers side. Dip the mirror all the way down so you can see the floor. Take the car out of reverse and the mirror should return to its original position all by itself.

Do the automatic rain sensors work on the wipers?

There are a few more things like that you can try. If you need to know more just ask.

However in my opinion the best advice I can give to any potential buyer is to ask someone who already owns one to come with you. You see these cars with 'I want one!' eyes and you can easily miss stuff. An owner can take a more objective approach. I notice there are no photos of engine bay. The Sat Nav is pretty much useless, a lot of owners go over to the 'Three Dials' System.

Last edited by frankc; 03-17-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Question toaster.....What?

Originally Posted by toaster
:

+1, but sometimes greed feeds brain

We're pretty dumb down here in Texas, Toaster.....I'm not sure which way to go with this!

Did you approve or do you think I'm Greedy? I'm always Happy to get the best of a "Used Car Salesman"! It would take me years to make-up all the Money they've taken me for over the last 60 years!

Good Luck to you!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
We're pretty dumb down here in Texas, Toaster.....I'm not sure which way to go with this!

Did you approve or do you think I'm Greedy? I'm always Happy to get the best of a "Used Car Salesman"! It would take me years to make-up all the Money they've taken me for over the last 60 years!

Good Luck to you!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Sorry Billy Clyde for misunderstanding, that was not against you,
why should i think you are greedy??????

Everything you wrote is correct, cheap and a Victory....
But for some people it is never cheap enough!!!!

Last edited by toaster; 03-18-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: My bad english
Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Well, I checked this car out and it didn't pass the inspection. The engine bay was dirty, some wheel rash, faded paint in a few areas and the undercarriage was very dirty. Looks can be deceiving and that applies to this one. The car drove o.k. but needs an alignment. In other words, the car needs some TLC. That said, you'd think a seller, and especially a dealer, would take care of this stuff prior to putting a car up for sale. Anyways, thanks to all for the pre-purchase info. It will come in handy when I examine the next candidate. And so, the search continues........

Old 03-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Well, I checked this car out and it didn't pass the inspection. The engine bay was dirty, some wheel rash, faded paint in a few areas and the undercarriage was very dirty. Looks can be deceiving and that applies to this one. The car drove o.k. but needs an alignment. In other words, the car needs some TLC. That said, you'd think a seller, and especially a dealer, would take care of this stuff prior to putting a car up for sale. Anyways, thanks to all for the pre-purchase info. It will come in handy when I examine the next candidate. And so, the search continues........
Sorry sometimes i am slightly indignant.
Could it be that you are too discriminating?
The engine bay was dirty, that is real awful!!!!
And the undercarriage was dirty too, hell on earth!!!!!
This car for this price, in Europe such cars, if you find them,
costs likely 24.000,-- € and more, and they are dirty too.
Hope you ever find "your" car.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...1-f251fff6c0e3

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...a-ce5c2fa00d63

Last edited by toaster; 03-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Toaster, your OK!

Toaster,

Thank you for your explanation! I appreciate it!

After reading the last message from the "Buyer", I see how observant you really are! I can't believe this Guy passed on the "Victory" deal....."Engine bay was dirty" - "Needed an alignment".......

SLazz, the car is 12 years old with over 50,000 miles for $12,999.00, what are you looking for......? Well, they don't make "deals" much better than that!

Good Luck to you! I'm checking out of this Thread......Now!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 03-18-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, I did pass on this XK for additional reasons not mentioned. (The car needed much more than a bath.) And yes, I do have another XK in my sights. It's a black 2005 XKR with 25,000 miles. The asking price is a bit high but the car is a one owner, serviced at a Jag dealer pristine condition beauty. I have no problem stepping up in price provided I am buying a pristine sample. I'm willing to wait for the right car and perhaps, this is the one. If everything works out I'll post more info otherwise, thanks to all for the pre-purchase advice.

Last edited by SLazz; 03-18-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: would like opinions on this XK