Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow us with your XK8/R photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Wow us with your XK8/R photos-photo.jpg
Kind of shows color although it looks more brown in person!

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
HZWRTHY (07-26-2023), XCrossWindsX (04-10-2015)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Phil,

I'm checking for stone chips.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
HZWRTHY (07-26-2023), XCrossWindsX (04-10-2015)
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Phil,

I'm checking for stone chips.

Graham

NEVER! Looks like one on the bonnet edge but its just a reflection, But there is a darn leaf in the grille I just noticed!! ARGH! It's back in the body shop getting wet sanded and final polish. Then I an finally put its badging on the rear. I'm still flip flopping on the interior veneer. I really want a full piano black or stained black but my budget is tapped out for a while and the quote was 1200 to refinish actual panels. I've ordered the gloss black wrap to try.
I'm still working towards new seats with some special detail. I really like the diamond quilting on suede inserts and on the doors too.

Last edited by philhef; 11-21-2013 at 07:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cgaechief (04-30-2021)
Old 11-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This car is exceptional...

Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Hey Phil,
I just came home from the L.A. Auto Show and it would seem that quilted inserts are the latest rage. There was a new XKR with diamond quilted inserts, a Mercedes SL550, and half a dozen other high end cars including the Maserati Gran Tourisimo. It may now be a little too commonplace for you. The XKR's was the charcoal (black) seats with the diamond stitching in red, very hot!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum dhferry,

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
G,
Done, thanks for the info.
Dean

HZWRTHY (07-26-2023)
Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts
Default Today is the day!

Kitty Paws is coming home! Just got the call from Papi and he is doing a final wax n wipe down before delivery.

Just a reminder of what he started with...

Attached Thumbnails Wow us with your XK8/R photos-img_3079_zpsb51272b5.jpg   Wow us with your XK8/R photos-img_3080_zps27d23db8.jpg   Wow us with your XK8/R photos-img_3083_zpseee99a71.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Bad Cattitude:
HZWRTHY (07-26-2023), Zach01 (02-29-2024)
Old 11-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Hey Phil,
I just came home from the L.A. Auto Show and it would seem that quilted inserts are the latest rage. There was a new XKR with diamond quilted inserts, a Mercedes SL550, and half a dozen other high end cars including the Maserati Gran Tourisimo. It may now be a little too commonplace for you. The XKR's was the charcoal (black) seats with the diamond stitching in red, very hot!
I've thought about that for a while! They actually offered the last year Xtype in UK with diamond quilted interior!!
Never here in USA
Always thought it was a nice way to send the little X out on a high note!! Wow us with your XK8/R photos-image.jpg
My new obsession is the new crocodile vinyl wrap for my fascia. It's a slightly metallic textured gloss wrap and I swear it looks like the real thing!! I'm sure I'll get LOTS of opinions when I get it in!!

Last edited by philhef; 11-30-2013 at 03:28 PM.
User 070620 (01-15-2014)
Old 11-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
Kitty Paws is coming home! Just got the call from Papi and he is doing a final wax n wipe down before delivery.

Just a reminder of what he started with...

With or without leaper!?!?!

HZWRTHY (07-26-2023)
Old 11-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Kitty Paws is back home! =^_^= I LOVE how the color turned out. This few pictures don't do it justice because it was cloudy but the times the sun would hit some spots the pearl would sparkle very pretty. My Dad (Papi) isn't too happy with the final paint job (he had not painted in many years)... there's three small spots that he needs to retouch and there's a mysterious scratch on the hood that would not buff out. Oh, and he switched the emblems on the rear from side to side... LOL... those will have to get switched back in the near future. But overall I think it looks really nice! We'll be doing some detailing tomorrow and hopefully we'll have better pictures after that.

Attached Thumbnails Wow us with your XK8/R photos-1458437_10153560542260646_1747623875_n.jpg   Wow us with your XK8/R photos-1425642_10153560542220646_845454825_n.jpg   Wow us with your XK8/R photos-1457659_10153560542230646_418555011_n.jpg  

Last edited by Kitty Paws; 11-30-2013 at 08:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kitty Paws:
Abby's Guy (11-27-2020), HZWRTHY (07-26-2023), XCrossWindsX (04-10-2015)
Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Kittypaws,
Now that's what I call a beautiful color! Couldn't of picked it better myself.

Attached Thumbnails Wow us with your XK8/R photos-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
HZWRTHY (07-26-2023), Kitty Paws (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Very nice! Good choice, the color really works well with the car.

Brace yourself for the leaper comments, 'cause there might be some.

Kitty Paws (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

new color looks great!!!

Kitty Paws (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kitty Paws
Kitty Paws is back home! =^_^= I LOVE how the color turned out. This few pictures don't do it justice because it was cloudy but the times the sun would hit some spots the pearl would sparkle very pretty. My Dad (Papi) isn't too happy with the final paint job (he had not painted in many years)... there's three small spots that he needs to retouch and there's a mysterious scratch on the hood that would not buff out. Oh, and he switched the emblems on the rear from side to side... LOL... those will have to get switched back in the near future. But overall I think it looks really nice! We'll be doing some detailing tomorrow and hopefully we'll have better pictures after that.

First, WOW!! Looks amazing!! Usually not a red fan but that looks like a cranberry metallic!! Spot on!!

Second, I like the leaper!!

Third, like the side markers.

Fourth, any luck finding a fourth red wheel center?

Fifth you should order the small chrome badge plinth for your growler from Adamesh. Then cut two notches to slide it over the chrome bar and have the badge centered on it. Very E type!! I hade one I did when I first bought my car but sold it.

I know your sooooo happy with the car!! Looks amazing!!

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
cgaechief (04-30-2021), Kitty Paws (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Kitty paws, did they repaint the wheels too? They look new!!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Very nice! Good choice, the color really works well with the car.

Brace yourself for the leaper comments, 'cause there might be some.
I know, and it's okay... ^_^; I know 99% don't like the leaper on this model but I wanted one. What I'm hating is the dark color on the lower section of the car. The entire car was burgundy last last time I went to see it at the shop... I don't know why my Dad decided to go over the paint there with "black". I'll have to ask him today and ask to have it repainted. I don't like it! >_<;;;;;

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by philhef
First, WOW!! Looks amazing!! Usually not a red fan but that looks like a cranberry metallic!! Spot on!!

Second, I like the leaper!!

Third, like the side markers.

Fourth, any luck finding a fourth red wheel center?

Fifth you should order the small chrome badge plinth for your growler from Adamesh. Then cut two notches to slide it over the chrome bar and have the badge centered on it. Very E type!! I hade one I did when I first bought my car but sold it.

I know your sooooo happy with the car!! Looks amazing!!
Thank you so much for your feedback Phil!
The color looks great on the sun and is exactly the burgundy I wanted so I'm happy with the color, thanks...
The side markers we got from you and they do look good with this color, thanks again.
Tommy had matching centers made for the new wheels. He got some Italian crome wheels he'll be replacing these with.

Not sure if you noticed the lower section painted dark. My Dad had painted the entire car the same color last time I saw it at the shop... don't know why he decided to paint over this area with "black". The more I look at it the more I hate it so I'm going to ask him to repaint those sections when he can.
My Dad is a retired heavy collision auto body man. He used to own his own shop at the peak of his career and he was very good but stopped painting many years ago. He suffers from very bad arthritis, especially on his legs, so I know how hard it was for him to finish this job and he did it out of love for me. So I'm going to hate telling him I don't like the "black" areas and asking if he can repaint them when he gets a chance again. Tommy and I were thinking of trying to do it ourselves with the left over paint. The color is on the bottom so it might not have to look perfect. We'll see.

Oh, and my husband already took the badge on the front grill off. He didn't like it there. I'm sure he'll read your comment about it... good idea! Thanks again!

Last edited by Kitty Paws; 12-01-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

.................. Not sure if you noticed the lower section painted dark. My Dad had painted the entire car the same color last time I saw it at the shop... don't know why he decided to paint over this area with "black". The more I look at it the more I hate it so I'm going to ask him to repaint those sections when he can. ....................
That's the first thing that caught my eye and the only one that mars the result.

Other than that, great colour and a superb transformation.

Graham

Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for your feedback Phil!
The color looks great on the sun and is exactly the burgundy I wanted so I'm happy with the color, thanks...
The side markers we got from you and they do look good with this color, thanks again.
Tommy had matching centers made for the new wheels. He got some Italian crome wheels he'll be replacing these with.

Not sure if you noticed the lower section painted dark. My Dad had painted the entire car the same color last time I saw it at the shop... don't know why he decided to paint over this area with "black". The more I look at it the more I hate it so I'm going to ask him to repaint those sections when he can.
My Dad is a retired heavy collision auto body man. He used to own his own shop at the peak of his career and he was very good but stopped painting many years ago. He suffers from very bad arthritis, especially on his legs, so I know how hard it was for him to finish this job and he did it out of love for me. So I'm going to hate telling him I don't like the "black" areas and asking if he can repaint them when he gets a chance again. Tommy and I were thinking of trying to do it ourselves with the left over paint. The color is on the bottom so it might not have to look perfect. We'll see.

Oh, and my husband already took the badge on the front grill off. He didn't like it there. I'm sure he'll read your comment about it... good idea! Thanks again!
I just noticed the black!! Yikes! I bet he's an old school painter and thought the textured should be black to minimize the texture! My painters dad works with him and he wanted to paint my lower part, before the kit, flat black to hide that bumpy texture.
Hey, check out Mina Gallery and look at the side skirts (flat). They really look good, easy to put on and he could paint them and cover the black. They're the same as on a 2005-6 factory XK8. And not too expensive! They can be installed with auto 3m double stick tape and two screws in the wheel wells. That way your dad can paint them on stands, and you can install without having to have him try to get down to paint! They really improve the stance and you don't have to tell him you hate it!! Win win!!
Still looks amazing!!
Also, you can pop out the red centers from the chrome and maybe use on the new wheel centers.

Last edited by philhef; 12-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

When Papi arrived yesterday it was late afternoon and overcast. As we were standing outside admiring and inspecting the work, the sun decided to peek through the clouds. I don't know if we were in the "golden hour" right before sunset, but the car actually glowed in the sunshine!

The textured rocker panel got done in black when he was cleaning up the overspray under the car and inside the wheel wells, etc. I think he just thought it would look ok but Mari has said no.

I will look into centering the growler on the horizontal grille bar sometime soon. We also might borrow the heat gun and try to fix the rear badges as well.

Overall a dramatic change from the orphan I picked up from a fellow forum member who offered it up for what the scrapper was willing to pay for it!

Quick Reply: Wow us with your XK8/R photos