XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF???? Stupid Headlight Bulbs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default WTF???? Stupid Headlight Bulbs!!!

I swear! I just spent an hour trying to change the high-beams on my XK8. It's impossible! I have the JTIS CD, but it wasn't much help. The little access hole for the high-beam is just too small. I can't grab the little retaining ring to loosen it. So then I tried to remove the entire headlamp assembly. The bottom bolt is completely inaccessible! I could feel it through that hole in the wheel well, but actually getting a torx bit into it and twisting is is impossible, too!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently did this and was also frustrated by access - hope this helps:

For the right-hand side high beam (passenger for you, driver for me!) open the plastic cover as you have and you should be able to see the back of the bulb. It will have a black plastic clip/connector which, if looking at the front of the car, would be at 5 o'clock with the bulb being the centre of the 'clock'. Push down (clockwise) on this with two fingers gently and once it reaches 6 o'clock you can see from the front of the car the bulb is loose.

Carefully pull out the whole bulb/connector assembly with the wires attached and remove bulb - there should be enough slack in the wire to get it out of the hatch. Replace bulb wearing rubber gloves (finger grease costs bulbs) and the unit should lock in with anti-clockwise motion.

For dipped and fog bulbs remember to turn the wheels away from the light you are changing, this makes it much easier.

Changing bulbs on mass produced cars should never involve tools other than a torch - by law (at least in the EU) they need to be roadside-changeable by anyone.

All the best,

Vince

Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Thanks, Spinakerr. My bulbs were very tight and I was worried I was going to break something. Plus, I wasn't sure I was twisting the correct bit. I went back out and tried it after reading your post and I was able to get both bulbs out. I still think it's a ****-poor design, though.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Reverend, there are so many car makes now with stupid headlamp designs requiring double-jointed hands and fingers to replace the bulbs. My previous Rover 75 was just the same.