XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH....no oil discussions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default WTH....no oil discussions?

I used the search function to find discussions about oil preferences and experience. Not ONE entry would come up under multiple search attempts. Is the search function just plain stupid, or is it possible we haven't discussed oil choices?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

This topic has been discussed ad-nauseam on most other car forums...it is discouraged here.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Oooookaaaaaay....

Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
I used the search function to find discussions about oil preferences and experience. Not ONE entry would come up under multiple search attempts. Is the search function just plain stupid, or is it possible we haven't discussed oil choices?
Don't know why it's programmed this way, but the forum search function ignores any word of three characters or less. So if you search for "oil," you will not have any results. You CAN, however, put the word "oil" in a phrase, in quotes, and get results. For instance, search for "oil filter" and you'll come up with plenty.

That being said, WhiteXKR has a point. None of us learn much from the same regurgitation of opinions on oil. Now if someone has something really NEW to say, then...

Old 11-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Makes sense. I was just contemplating changing my oil from Mobil One HM to another since it is now 10-40 and I think I really should be using the 5-30. I also have 5 Qts of M1 EP 5-30 on hand that I could use, but with the low miles I put on the car (< 3K/yr) it doesn't make much sense to me. I also have a remaining 3 Qts in a jug of Penzoil Platinum 5-30 that i could easily grab another jug of. I guess there's really not much difference for the gentle/occasional driving I do. I just like good protection while cruising at 75 or more when heading up through Nevada.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Bob the oil guy is always happy to chat about oil,
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Old 11-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Bob the oil guy is always happy to chat about oil,
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Yeah, I'm a regular visitor there, but it has become a serious hodgepodge of opinions by self-proclaimed "experts" who spend half their lives analyzing their oil ever few thousand miles and trying to sell the Amsoil products.

I tried to get some info on the M1 "Truck & SUV" 5w-30 to see if it was acceptable for our Jags but the search function wouldn't separate it from all the other M1 stuff and thousands of posts about everything from M1 to Castrol to PP to Amsoil....etc. IMO the T&SUV M1 is probably for heavy duty, but low RPM use. But what the heck do I know.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, I'm a regular visitor there, but it has become a serious hodgepodge of opinions by self-proclaimed "experts" who spend half their lives analyzing their oil every few thousand miles and trying to sell the Amsoil products.
I hear ya. That's precisely why we don't need to replicate all of those discussions over here on THIS forum.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

If you really want to review it all....you can search "*oil*"

Put me down as being strongly in favor of oil...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
This topic has been discussed ad-nauseam on most other car forums...it is discouraged here.
The place is littered with the carcasses of dead horses waiting for another beating by the armchair quarterbacks.

Oil is okay stuff though. Add coolant, sparkplugs and atf to the list too.

Last edited by plums; 11-07-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Octane? Anybody for an octane thrash?

Of more importance why does this bunny have a pancake on his head?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The Jaguar XK manuals from 1996-2006 just state to use 5w-30 motor oil if I recall correctly. Use of fossil or synthetic is not mentioned.

Use whatever brand makes you feel happy inside. Enjoy your fake peace of mind.

As long as you perform routine maintenance at regular intervals it doesn't matter what you use.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
The Jaguar XK manuals from 1996-2006 just state to use 5w-30 motor oil if I recall correctly. Use of fossil or synthetic is not mentioned.

Use whatever brand makes you feel happy inside. Enjoy your fake peace of mind.

As long as you perform routine maintenance at regular intervals it doesn't matter what you use.
Not sure what you mean by "fake peace of mind", but when Jag recommended only changing the oil once a year or 10,000 miles long before we had extended life synthetics I have to question their sanity and reasoning (especially during the nikasil years). The only way I'd do that in mine would be to use EP oil and change the filter at least once in the duration.

Time is more my "enemy" than miles these days.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Not sure what you mean by "fake peace of mind", but when Jag recommended only changing the oil once a year or 10,000 miles long before we had extended life synthetics I have to question their sanity and reasoning (especially during the nikasil years). The only way I'd do that in mine would be to use EP oil and change the filter at least once in the duration.

There's no evidence that a 10K interval is inappropriate either on dino or synthetic oil, so maybe their reasoning wasn't so far off.............

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, you sound a bit confused... What does pre or post-Nikasil have anything to do with oil change intervals?

By 'fake piece of mind', I'm saying that whatever oil and whatever interval you feel comfortable with, as opposed to doing whatever anyone else tells you. If you aren't comfortable driving 5k miles after an oil change before servicing it again, drop it down to 3k miles. Or if you're comfortable going longer.... whatever. Same goes with synthetic. If you think it'll help your car run better, you'll feel better regardless if it's a fact or not. Mostly unsubstantiated placebo effect.

BTW, if you have an engine with Nikasil coated liners right now that's running fine, you're actually better off than someone with the newer engines without the lining.

You seemed to have missed this part. I'll repost to emphasize my point:

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Because, no matter what oil you use, if you're changing it on a regular interval, you'll be changing it long before it breaks down and can cause any harm.

Last edited by xenophobe; 11-08-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Part of my dillema is being caused by the fact that when I bought the car it had about 106K on it, and the oil was a beautiful golden color and very clean. I thought the P.O. had just changed it, but as I got into further maintenance I came to doubt that. Still, the oil remained clean looking for quite a few miles...until I finally changed it at 111,500K. Even then it still looked pretty good, but this was now 14 months later.

I went with the Mobil 1 HM 10-40 because I live in a hot climate. The only filter I could get at the time was a Fram PH5618 -- not even one of their premium filters. While that filter cost about double the others they market, I have my doubts about it's real quality. As you know, the choice of high quality filters for our cars is somewhat limited.

Anyway, I'm going with the Bosch 72-whatever, and I've already replaced the Fram with it regardless of whether or not I change the rest of the oil. So, now I need to decide whether to get another Qt. or two of the M1-HM and just keep using it for another 1500-2500 miles.........or, just dump it all and start over with a 5-30 of high quality (M1, PP, Edge, or some other).

If the M1 in my crankcase looked as clean as the oil that was in it when I bought it there would be no question about continuing longer (especially with the filter change). But I am puzzled a little by the darkening of the M1 and its appearance of being "dirty".

So, there I am.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I think your 'dilemma' is partially self induced by using oil colour as a meaningful reference or indicator.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

I've realized the problem. You read far too much marketing literature from oil companies and far too much hyperbole on the internet.

Get the cheapest oil you can find and change it every 3-5k miles. You, nor the car, will notice any difference whatsoever.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Mikey
Octane? Anybody for an octane thrash?

Of more importance why does this bunny have a pancake on his head?
Mikey - I literally LOL I swear I did.......

To the OP - Please discuss "oil" as much as you wish, you may get some takers here, you may not as its kinda been done to death...lol

Personally, for my point of view....I love the stuff and always keep some in my car

Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Yer both proberly right.

Quick Reply: WTH....no oil discussions?