XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ8 primary vs secondary tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 primary vs secondary tensioners

I have a 1998 XJ8 and intend to buy a 2001 XK8 with 30,000 miles. I have not replaced the tensioners on my older car, now at 110,000 miles. I know I am pushing it, but I was told it would cost $2500 at my local Jag shop. I assume that this was for both primary and secondary tensioners, but at the time did not know enough to ask the right questions.
I took it to a Ford dealer, and they told me they could do it for $1600. Still not sure what "it" consisted of. They called back and said they could not get the pulley off the cam shaft, and would have to break it. They had the right tool and consulted with Jaguar on this. The extra cost would be $600.
I plan on keeping the next car, the 2001 XK8, for many years.
Should I request the selling dealership (Lincoln, Nissan) do the repairs on the new car before I buy? The asking price is $18,000 and the car is immaculate.
VIN # SAJDA42C41NA11217 Seems there is negotiation room...
What are the likely consequences of not replacing the primary tensioners? Or is this a case of being penny wise and pound foolish? Thank you. Thank you.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Dealerships have to stand behind their repairs, and they're quoting complete chain, tensioner, guide replacement due to the car having 110K miles. The parts purchased outside a dealership would run approx. $700-800, and it's an 8 hr. job. The price quoted at the Ford dealership is more in line, however I question their abilities if they break $600 camshaft to complete the job. A good independent mechanic could just replace the secondary tensioners for around $800--a good option. There are dozens of pristine examples of this fine car on the retail market for less than $18K--see Autotrader.com and EBay Motors. As far as the 2001 XK8, how do they know the tensioners have not been replaced--without pulling the valve covers for inspection? The cost of replacing the tensioners has to be a consideration in the purchase price of the car--and a dealer should want the car to be right if they plan to stand behind the car.

The following users liked this post:
xandrew46 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Default XJ8 primary vs secondary tensioners

Thank you Bamaman, I'm from Dothan, now living up north in Virginia.
I read that failure of the primary tensioners is not catastrophic. What does this really mean? Semi-catastrophic?

If I only do the secondary tensioners on my 110,000 mile KJ8, does this involve removing the pulley that is stuck on the cam shaft?

As far as the 2001 30,000 mile XK8, the dealer has all the repair records, so it will be easy to find out if any tensioners have been replaced. If the secondaries have, when should I think about the primaries?

Should I go ahead and get a new water pump now, or wait until it fails, as the one on my 1998 KJB just did last month.

Thanks again for your input and advice.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile

I don't understand the Ford dealer saying they need to break something. You can replace the secondary tensioner by unbolting the exhaust cam and lifting it up about an inch and replace the tensioner and then replace it. what they are probably talking about is the secondary chain. With that many miles on it they will have to cut or break that chain to replace it and the tensioner together. And then put in a split chain with a link coupler like on a bicycle. But this is the case only if you do not replace the primary chain Because the primary chain blocks the secondary chain. Somewhere in this forum there is a complete set of instructions on the entire chain system. Maybe some one knows where it is.

EZ

The following users liked this post:
xandrew46 (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

"I took it to a Ford dealer, and they told me they could do it for $1600. Still not sure what "it" consisted of. They called back and said they could not get the pulley off the cam shaft, and would have to break it. They had the right tool and consulted with Jaguar on this. The extra cost would be $600".

I think they were referring to the Crankshaft Pulley. A normal 3 Fingered Puller will not work. Jaguar has a special puller that threads into the Pulley/Harmonic Balancer.

Ford Thunderbirds used a version of the Jaguar Engine, however, it may not have used the same Pulley/Balancer.

The Crankshaft Pulley does Not have to be removed to change the Secondary Tensioners.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

XAndrew: If you're also going to be keeping the 98 XK8, you have some difficult decisions. Catastrophic engine failure could result from losing either primary or secondary tensioners. Today, I ran up on excellent chain and tensioner instructions (with complete pictures) on this forum. Believe me, this is a tough job even for a professional Jag mechanic. At 110K miles, you'd probably want to replace the spark plugs, serpentine belts, belt tensioner, and pulleys--all wear items. You should consider switching to the new design water pump and metal thermostat housing--if they've not been already changed. A full transmission service may be warranted--new fluids and filter. Sometimes preventive maintenance can be like opening a very expensive can of worms. The alternative might be to just change the secondary tensioners and spark plugs--and accelerate future oil change frequencies. It's often cheaper and easier to re-engine an XK8 than rebuilding the front end of the engines. I'm very thankful that there are so many salvage XK8's within 250 miles of me--and that engines are often available on E-Bay Motors (Parts.)

Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks, Paul P. That is a sweet looking XKR. I plan to give my XJ8 L to my brother and get an XK8 convertible.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Paul, What is the likely outcome of primary tensioners in a XJ8 with 110,000 miles? Will they give a warning before going? Thanks. I have found a sweet XK8 with low mileage.
After 2004 models in the XK series, is the water pump an issue? Any other things to be concerned about other than normal maintenance?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by xandrew46
Paul, What is the likely outcome of primary tensioners in a XJ8 with 110,000 miles? Will they give a warning before going? Thanks. I have found a sweet XK8 with low mileage.
After 2004 models in the XK series, is the water pump an issue? Any other things to be concerned about other than normal maintenance?
I don't know about the Primary Tensioners. It has been reported that the Chain Guides have Cracked, but apparently with no catastrophic failures as a result.

Water Pump problems were Not reported to any degree after about 2000, to my knowledge.

2003 and newer XKs are considered to be Very Reliable.