XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 1997 clicking gear knob

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 1997 clicking gear knob

Hello all, I am new to this forum having just bought my first ever Jaaaaaaaaaaag... It’s an XK8 1997 convertible, bit of a risky ebay purchase but so far all is pretty good. A few things I need to mend but nothing too major luckily. (First thing discovered was that it had no locking wheel removing key! Big hammer and socket rammed onto it sorted that one!)

I do have a question that some forum members may be able to help me with.

I know that when I press the brake pedal when it is in Park it triggers a solenoid which allows the gear lever to move out of park. The trouble is, every time I press the brake pedal when driving the solenoid keeps on clicking away. I think it is an issue with one of the two micro switches than run along side the shift lever so the car doesn’t know it is out of Park and keeps on firing up the solenoid each time I press the brake.

So, removed the gear lever surround ok and discovered that the small micro switch nearest the dashboard (there are two micro switches) both its wires had been severed by something, so the switch simply wasn’t connected to anything. SImple solder job undertaken and back to normal? Er no. Now when I start the car, press the brake, turn the key, the dashboard lights come on but the engine doesn’t turn at all! bizarre. Disconnect the micro switch and it starts as normal. Any clues you Jag experts out there?? I haven’t yet tried replacing either of the two micro switches. It just seems odd that with the micro switch resoldered the car just refuses to turn over!

many thanks for any advice..

regards.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Moldy99,

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to XK8/XKR forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Moldy99
So, removed the gear lever surround ok and discovered that the small micro switch nearest the dashboard (there are two micro switches) both its wires had been severed by something...Er no
Now you know why someone cut the wires! At this point, check the switches, they are probably broken, or the metal blade they come with is somehow missing. Likely, the car "thinks" it is not in park so it does not let you start the engine. Have you tried starting in Neutral instead?

Old 03-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I did try starting in neutral but can’t be sure. I’ve left it disconnected for now to get it back to how it was. I’m going to wait for a better day weather wise so I can spend some real time on it.

many thanks for your reply.....

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

As the wires have been cut, it's possible that the circuit has also been deliberately shorted elsewhere to bypass the interlock.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XK8 1997 clicking gear knob-interlock.jpg  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

I agree that the most likely cause of the problem are bad micro-switches. In my car, the micro-switches seemed to work, but a blade was missing. Rather than replace the micro-switch (which is still on my list of things to do), I wired the solenoid between the brake wire - which goes to ground and a power source. I don't recommend you do this because there were unintended side effects (though the car starts properly), but near as I could tell from the service records, the shift solenoid hadn't worked for nine years. So I fixed it. Sort of.

By the way, there is a several year old thread a fellow wrote about getting the shift interlock to work. It goes on for pages and pages and finally the fellow (apparently) gave up...which kind of inspired me to hot wire my circuit.

I guess I shouldn't have told you that, being as you are a new owner. If I were you (or me) I would look into replacing those micro-switches.

By the way, here's a tip I discovered about working with the Jaguar multiplexed electrical system...Most electrical systems are triggered by a connection to ground, through a module. That is, the switch is not on the power side. Connection to ground triggers something in the module, which triggers a relay, which activates the circuit. The tip then is, very often in these cars an electrical fault is caused by a bad ground.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new ride !

The following users liked this post:
Moldy99 (03-09-2018)