XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xk8 2004 alpine sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xk8 2004 alpine sound system

Hi new to the XK8 previous Jag was an XJR I have just picked up this XK8 and it seems the front speakers are not working the rear are working fine and so is the sub, I have had the whole interior out as it requires welding in the floor I have tested the amp and the front out puts are working. I have checked the plug under the center console and the sound is getting to there ! Moved on to the plugs by the doors and they are also getting a signal, I have taken the door speaker out and tested it and is working as well, I’m completely at a loss as to why there is no sound at the front any ideas .

Old 07-26-2021, 04:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you getting sound to any of the other front speakers, e.g. dash or door 'sail'? Have you set the front /rear fade?

Old 07-26-2021, 05:01 AM

Hi Robin I'm not getting any sound to the front at all which is strange as I have checked the cables and plug another speaker in and it gets sound ! I have taken the door speaker cover off and checked the speaker it works fine but no sound from its connection I have checked the radio fade and even if I put is all to the front no Sound I even checked the factory setting just is case and it is set to fade the only thing I haven't done is taken the door cables off to check the but find it odd that both sides have gone and that the others connected on the same lines have stopped working as well.

So unless both doors have cable damage inside the plug which I find highly unlikely I'm not sure where else to look ?

It has me totally baffled

Old 07-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Greetings,

I was trolling around YouTube looking for stereo upgrades for my X KR, just for fun. I came across this:

This is video one of the four-part series of an installation, maybe this will be helpful, wishing you the best.

Robert

Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So, you get signal at the connector the door harness connects to on the door pillar but not at the wires that connect to the speaker? The only other things I can suggest are continuity or check the wire colours against a circuit diagram. I currently have a short in my drivers door harness which means that if I connect the speaker the windows go haywire!

Old 07-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,296 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1969
Hi Robin I'm not getting any sound to the front at all which is strange as I have checked the cables and plug another speaker in and it gets sound
Hi - where are you connecting the test speaker?

Here's some detail from the 2003 Electrical guide:

LHS

RHS

ICI is a yellow 20-way Multilock under the centre console

AC14 is a grey 14-way Multilock located 'FASCIA BOTTOM CONNECTOR MOUNTING BRACKET / RIGHT HAND SIDE' (location description taken from guide, so it's somewhere in that area)

DD1 and DP1 are the 23-way LH and RH side door connectors

DD18 and DP18 are 2-way black LH and RH tweeter connectors under the triangular 'sail'

I hope this helps you trace through to find the source of the trouble. It does seem odd that all the front speakers would go out together, but don't discount that the OP may have already been in there.
NB I think the note on the second image should read "The female pins of connector DP1 are located on the vehicle LH RH side for both LHD and RHD vehicles."

You can get the full electrical guide from member Gus' site of everything here:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2003.pdf

Last edited by michaelh; 07-26-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: correct connector reference
Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 AM

Hi Michaelh

A big thank you for the above I was able to identify the plug in the driver side foot well which helped me no end I then worked on from there to the Door plugs DD1 - DP1 I removed the rubber cover on the driver side and found the white wire pin had some how come out hence no sound on that side I was able to remove it enough to get at it and push the cable back in & spray some contact spay in while I had it apart & the speaker came back to life, I then checked the other side for the same fault but that side was ok turns out it was a blown speaker !

Thank you all for your advice Got there in the end Now its just the Rust in the floor and Sills to contend with

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (07-28-2021)