XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XK8 Alpine PKG Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 XK8 Alpine PKG Door Speakers

I just purchased a 2000 XK8 convertible with Alpine package and the door speakers are completely inoperable The dash and A-pillar speakers (tweeters) are working just fine but there is no midrange and I understand this would be from the lower door speakers.
Can anyone help me with where to start on rectifying this problem? I've checked fuses and they all seem to be in order.
I don't know what else to do besides taking it to a professional. I'd like to check connections at the amp but I don't know where it is besides the trunk.
Any help out there for this rookie?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

The amp is indeed located In the trunk, in the spare tire storage compartment- it's not the easiest to access. The rear "subs" are commonly found to have stopped working, but I think the mid range ones in the doors are less common. My guess is that the connection to the amp will be fine, but it's worth checking. Are you sure there's no sound coming from either speaker? Also, since the rear speakers provide mids/lows as well, make sure to isolate which speakers aren't working using balance/fade.

Unfortunately, you may need to take a look at the actual speaker(s) and see if it's (they're) blown. The good news is that these are relative straightforward to replace if need be. I believe there's an infinity model that fits the front and a kicker model that fits the rears (also a JL that requires some modification). Search the forum. There's quite a few threads detailing replacing all/parts of the audio system. Hope this helps some

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 03-10-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. The lower door speakers are definitely NOT working, I played with all the fade and L/R controls to ry to isolate the sound and I find it strange that neither is producing any sound at all. I've never had a car that had the same pair go like that, and just not making any sound (they normally in my expeience just soud horrble and typically one at a time.
I'm going to check connections on the amp.

If I do need a new on do you have a suggestion on a replacement. I don't know the wattage or channels, and my go to, crutchfield.com, doesn't help w amp compatibility for specific vehicle.

Thanks all in advance.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Check out these threads by H2OBoy.. he helped me a lot with ideas for my system.

Project Complete (pics) - XK8vert Rear Speakers n Sub

XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Subwoofer Solution, v4 (and hopefully the last!!)

For the front components specifically, take a look at these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P650...500cs&skipvs=T

I'm told they're a direct swap (the components at least). If you want to use the tweeters and crossover, you would have to mount them in the dash (won't fit in the A-pillar) with some fabrication.

Should give you a place to start!

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 03-10-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Larry - Shoot me a pm, I live in Boca as well and just replaced my stereo so we could easily do some trouble shooting with my old amp and stereo...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Default Ideas??

So I met with Larry last night and we did the following:

I unplugged the "speaker" harness from the amp and put a tone generator across each door speaker and we were able to hear the tone (so that confirms the speakers "work" and the wiring from the amp to the speaker is good)...

I then swapped out my amp for his and the problem (no sound from the door speakers) persisted (so we are now good from the amp to the door speakers).

I guess the next step is to pull his head unit and swap with mine to see if that solves his problem... and see where to go from there.

Any one else have any ideas? We went through all of the "mode" controls and still couldn't get anything out of those speakers...

Larry - I know we were listening to the CD, I assume that you still have the problem with the radio?? Let me know.

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Chris, thanks again for the help. Yes, I tried the radio as well and still nothing coming from the mid range speakers.
Best,
Larry

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

This is pretty perplexing.. Thanks for the update. Wish I could contribute more

Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I'm literally pulling out my whole working system and replacing it with new. If you want to make me an offer for my stuff, let me know, I'm in Orlando. Its coming out of a 2000 VDP.

I'm replacing mine with a DVD, GPS, Satellite, camera head unit, new amp and speakers. I'm also replacing the door handle seals since I'm there. Oh and I'm adding a tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) and using the head units dvd monitor for the readout since other ones require alternate monitoring devices to be mounted exposed and ugly.

As for the speakers you have now, get out the multi meter and check your voltages, they could be blown like Silverstone says. But also check the grounds over by the battery, they may be loose and are very important. It almost sounds like either the amps low end went out or the cd changer may have gone kaput.
Make sure you check the lock down on the 26 pin connector on the back of the head unit, that its secure also. Almost for sure sounds like someone was going to replace the unit and got over their heads and slapped it back together.

Last edited by Highhorse; 03-14-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have exactly the same prob with my system, subs, tweeters, dash all work fine, but nothing from the midrange

Eagerly watching your progress
If i learn anything with mine I will be sure to post

Old 03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Default 2000xk8 alpine

Thanks Nice Cat, a few weeks ago Chris ran tests on the system, the speakers are good as is the amplifier. Chris plans to replace my head unit with one he has that works. He has family in town and assume we will get to it shortly. I'll let you know if that turns out to be the problem. Meanwhile thanks for the other tips.

Best,

Larry

Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem; both door midrange speakers completely dead. Starting to sound like a repeating problem - anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Good ideas for further testing and problem solving much appreciated! Also: does anyone have a layout/diagram of the audio system and its components?

Lars

Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default got lucky, I think

My work schedule is nuts, but I finally got to work on the speaker issue...

I guess I got lucky
I pulled the contacts for each speaker cleaned and repluged everything.
still needed to change door speakers (they tested bad)... used Alpine 6.5" 610s
Now system sounds fantastic even speakers that were just muddled before have good clear sound

Good luck to all, let me know if there are questions

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 PM

I took another look at Larry's stereo problem tonight and it's still not working... last time I replaced his amp with my good amp (still didn't work) and then I traced out his door speakers with a toner and I DID hear sound from them.

So tonight I swapped out his head unit with my old working unit and the speakers still didn't work... SO, now it appears that the problem is between his head unit and the amp (either the connections at either end or one or more of the wires that run from the head unit to the amp). The wiring diagram shows like eight or so wires - they run from the IC8 connector on the head unit to the IC7 connector on the amp - I would assume that some of those are the radio outputs to the amp).

I am not sure if the CD has any other purpose other than a CD changer - I couldn't swap that since mine was broken (i overtightened the worm gear screw.) If someone thinks it has some other purpose I could hook mine up to see with the radio if the problem goes away). Other than that I am somewhat stumped at this point. I was hoping to swap out some parts for an easy fix but I wasn't so lucky.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 AM

Nicecat, thanks for the info and congratulations on your success.
Larry

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker problem

I too have speaker issues with my 2000xK8, except my issue is with the rear speakers, not working...will try checking some of the areas mentioned in earlier posts...keep sharing, thanks