XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xk8 convertible left rear window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default xk8 convertible left rear window problem

My left rear window is stuck half open (or closed) and will not move. Searching the site I found an excellent post by D. Jensen on replacement.
My question is : can the regulator by repaired or is replacemnet the only solution to fixing the problem?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM

What ho.
I myself am just working my way through this issue. The info provided on the site is excellent but, since yours like mine is stuck in the down or semi down position you literally have to dis-assemble the regulator inside the wall cavity (no small feat). It can be done but much time, skinned knuckles and vulgar suggestions.
That being said popping the new unit in was a breeze but no one told me that when you unhook the battery that it throws the window/top timing out of wack. My roof would not go up or down and my rear windows cycled in the down position and wont go back up.I tried the methods suggested by the forum but to no avail.
My car now sets at the local Jaguar dealer, who will probably charge me extra for aggevation factor.
If I had it all to do over again I wouldnt.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Default window problem

Thanks for some good advice. I will take it to the Jag dealership for repair.
I contacted them today and after discussing the problem it looks like about a 1200.00 repair if it is what they think it is.

I just used a pen led light and was able to see the cable. I used a piece of coat hanger and was able to free the cable enough to get the window
fully up in place. I can at least drive and lock it now until the repair is scheduled.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The windows will not go up until the roof rams are completely extended and locked into place. The roof can also get confused but disconnecting the battery is not the cause.

Originally Posted by Bertram Wooster
What ho.
I myself am just working my way through this issue. The info provided on the site is excellent but, since yours like mine is stuck in the down or semi down position you literally have to dis-assemble the regulator inside the wall cavity (no small feat). It can be done but much time, skinned knuckles and vulgar suggestions.
That being said popping the new unit in was a breeze but no one told me that when you unhook the battery that it throws the window/top timing out of wack. My roof would not go up or down and my rear windows cycled in the down position and wont go back up.I tried the methods suggested by the forum but to no avail.
My car now sets at the local Jaguar dealer, who will probably charge me extra for aggevation factor.
If I had it all to do over again I wouldnt.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Jaguar has a recall on the rear window cable and linkage on 1999 - 2000 model year I would see if it was extended to your 2003 http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/501-49.pdf

Originally Posted by Terry Alan
Thanks for some good advice. I will take it to the Jag dealership for repair.
I contacted them today and after discussing the problem it looks like about a 1200.00 repair if it is what they think it is.

I just used a pen led light and was able to see the cable. I used a piece of coat hanger and was able to free the cable enough to get the window
fully up in place. I can at least drive and lock it now until the repair is scheduled.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on recall

Have the same problem with a rear window, came across this link and sent copy to my garage. They have spoken to Lancaster Burnham who say they will not consider a recall. Does anyone have any information on a recall for this problem, or suggestions on how to find out if one is or was in place.

Many Thanks