XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Convertible Window problem

Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 PM
dmo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post XK8 Convertible Window problem

I've had my 1997 XK8 for about 5 months now and have periodically had a problem with my drivers side window. I'll start by saying that the window itself works perfectly... well almost. The auto-down feature works, up/down works, and the window is perfectly aligned. It is a beautiful thing.... BUT every once in a while I experience a problem when I open the drivers side door.

As you know, the window automatically lowers itself about a quarter of an inch when you open the door to clear the weather stripping and then raises up when the door is closed to create a tight seal.

I don't know why this happens or what causes it, but periodically the window will lower down when I open the door, but it will not resume the closed position when I close the door. Furthermore, every time I pull on the door handle, the window continues to lower another quarter inch or so, then another, and another until the window goes all the way down. It happens when I use the inside or outside door handle.

I can roll the window back up no problem. The weird thing is that after a few days, the window will suddenly start working normally again with no intervention on my part. I don't want to start taking things apart until I know what I seek.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? There were other window post on the forum but I could not find anything like this.

Here is a link to a short video on You Tube of the window in action.

Thanks.
DMO

Last edited by GGG; 04-01-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: couldn't fix the window for you but fixed the typo!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

That usually happens if the battery has been disconnected or low on charge it loses it window indexing.
If you sit in the car, close the door and turn the ignition switch to the 2nd position you can then reset the window indexes. First run the window all the way down and keep pressure on the switch until you hear a slight click. Then run the window back up and do the same. That reprograms the module until it loses power the next time.

Dave

The following 3 users liked this post by DaveInVA:
arttomlin (03-31-2015), dmo (03-25-2015), GalaxyDriver (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Chances are good your battery is on its way out.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

You need to reset the widows first of all. Get in car with the key ON but the car not running. Do the drivers door first, push button DOWN till window goes down and keep holding button down till you hear a CLICK from the door (need to do this in a quiet place) now push the window switch UP pushing on switch until you hear the same click. Reach over to the pass door and do the same process. You technically can do either door/window first, or if it is just one window doing what you explained then just do that window. You just have to be in the car with the doors closed to do one or both.
Now what is causing this is usually a weak car battery. When the batteries in these cars get weak these electric gremlins tend to show up. The car may start fine but when voltage is down on these cars some electrical parts like to have a certain level of voltage or they malfunction. Have said that i forget what the correct level is. I think 12.5 or better at the battery not running. Others will chime in with the correct numbers if I am wrong, OR you can search the site for everything I just told you.

The following users liked this post:
dmo (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

ha ha ha ha, no one had replied when I started writing my reply.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Can you reset the pass window from the drivers door switch????

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
Can you reset the pass window from the drivers door switch????
Yes its worked fine for me,

Dave

Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
dmo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holding the button down until I heard the click worked. Thank you brgjag and DaveInVa. And yes, resetting the passenger window works from the drivers door, confirmed. I'm glad it is fixed but even happier knowing what is causing it and how to fix it.

It looks like I will be shopping for a new battery this weekend.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 XK8 Convertible Window Issue

Originally Posted by DaveInVA
That usually happens if the battery has been disconnected or low on charge it loses it window indexing.
If you sit in the car, close the door and turn the ignition switch to the 2nd position you can then reset the window indexes. First run the window all the way down and keep pressure on the switch until you hear a slight click. Then run the window back up and do the same. That reprograms the module until it loses power the next time.

Dave
Thanks a bunch for the info! This has been happening intermittently to me too.

I'm going to try this on mine and see what happens.