XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Differential Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry XK8 Differential Lubrication

Okay, I have my '99 XK8 rear axle assembly out to repair damaged fuel lines. While it is out, I would like to check the differential lube. The manual calls for Shell Spirax Thermally Stable Super TS90 gear lubricant. I called the local Shell distributor. Shell no long makes the product, and there is no replacement. What is the correct lubricant to use in my differential?
(I've done a number of searches here on the forums, and found one that mentions TC lubricant, but I believe they are referring to manual transmission oil. At least, that is the impression I got since they never explicitly state what it is they are even talking about. TC = to me means
Transfer Case, as on a four wheel drive. But someone else mentioned "awd" which I took to mean "All Wheel Drive", but does Jaguar make an All Wheel Drive car?) The phrasing and acronyms are somewhat confusing.
Second item: Where is the differential data tag supposed to be located? I cannot find one anywhere on my rear axle, and supposedly you need this tag to order parts and know what differential you have installed. I may be looking in the wrong places. Thanks for whatever help anyone can give!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

TS90 is a special long life lubricant, and I think you can get this only per barrel.

Castrol SAF-XO could be an alternative (am using this myself), this one is amongst others approved for Open diffs in BMW.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8Troll
Okay, I have my '99 XK8 rear axle assembly out to repair damaged fuel lines. While it is out, I would like to check the differential lube. The manual calls for Shell Spirax Thermally Stable Super TS90 gear lubricant. I called the local Shell distributor. Shell no long makes the product, and there is no replacement. What is the correct lubricant to use in my differential?
(I've done a number of searches here on the forums, and found one that mentions TC lubricant, but I believe they are referring to manual transmission oil. At least, that is the impression I got since they never explicitly state what it is they are even talking about. TC = to me means
Transfer Case, as on a four wheel drive. But someone else mentioned "awd" which I took to mean "All Wheel Drive", but does Jaguar make an All Wheel Drive car?) The phrasing and acronyms are somewhat confusing.
Second item: Where is the differential data tag supposed to be located? I cannot find one anywhere on my rear axle, and supposedly you need this tag to order parts and know what differential you have installed. I may be looking in the wrong places. Thanks for whatever help anyone can give!
Yes, Jaguar makes an AWD - X-Type and the nomenclature that you picked up probably was in reference to the transfer case in the X, which is a "problem child". Probably reference to the Sta-Lub Syn-Go 75W140 used in the TC and differential. This is the same diff spec on newer Jaguar differentials across the Models.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Thanks!

Thanks a lot! I picked up 2 quarts of lube this morning, will drain and flush the differential, let it sit for a couple days to dry out, and then will service it with the lube and put it back in the car. The rear axle was pretty easy to pull. It will only take half the time to go back together, now that I have an idea what I'm doing. So by next week I should have a purring kitty again!