XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xk8 front grille

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Thanks for the compliment, but ......... as you can see if you look closely - mine wasn't done particularly well, and it's a minor irritation that will bug me until it's sorted. If you look at the left hand side of the centre part, you can see that there's a small black zip (cable) tie holding the bar to the grille, and the bar is broken behind the black "overrider" and therefore doesn't line up properly. I'm sure I can improve it somewhat, but I suspect that will involve removing the whole bumper, and as there's a fair bit of road rash, I will combine that with a respray of the whole bumper. A job for next year after the winter methinks.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

You can see my pics, mesh looks far superior to the buck tooth grill from the factory.

IMHO

Old 11-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the plain mesh that was done by the P.O. but I like the classic look a little better. The recessed grille looks like an improvement so maybe I'll try that before going back to original. The bar with the grille is nice too, along with the badge.
My state here in the USA has no front plate requirements so it's a nice clean look.

Gary

Old 11-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

There are certainly lots of options here. I really dont want to damage the original stuff but must admit I do like the cleaner look of the single grill.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

A couple more with the grille and bar

Name:  IMG_4119.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  05PLINTH.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  85.1 KB

The following users liked this post:
max224 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I like the look of both of these bar/mesh grille combinations; slightly partial to the lower picture. I wish I could find a way to make the badge bar "float" in the opening similar to the early XKE setup. Getting rid of the rubber fangs would be a huge step in the right direction, but would leave the front end pretty vulnerable to even the lightest physical contact.

Now if someone made a chrome front end guard in the shape of the grille opening ala the XKE, the problem would be solved!

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer

Is the chrome bar a stock X150 parts?

Old 11-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I love the look of the badge and strake because it is remanicent of earlier XK designs. I bought one off XKRacer (see photo), however, I don't think they are stock on the X150 style.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Xk8 front grille-one-piece-grille-2.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

The straker is off the X150 however it is not a straight fit you will need to modify it.... All you have to do is grind back behind the bezel and a little along the length of each strake(?), this because the bezel are made to sit in a counterbore on the grill but on a mesh grille they need to sit flush.... I use an air file to do this, just remember to grind/file to the centre of the bezel part otherwise you will pull the chrome plate off....

Here's an idea..... paint the grille black and then fit the chrome straker from a distance I am sure you would get that floating look...

However...

I did have an idea hold to replicate the E Type look which is not all that difficult, just requires some stainless pipe/tube, bent to roughly the same curve as the front of the car, then bend the ends up at right angles and flatten. As in the US you have an aluminium bumper beam you can drill the pipe and tap the beam and bolt it on, you then need the bezel mount from a Jaguar X150 stainless mesh grille, file 2 semi circular cut outs on the base of the bezel to fit over your tube, this can be bolted through the centre of the bezel on to the tube, the badge sticks over the top....

Job done!

The following 2 users liked this post by XKRacer:
Jandreu (11-14-2014), max224 (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM

I really like the idea of the strake with the bezel and badge against a mesh grille painted black. Alas, I'm on the wrong side of the pond from XKRacer or I'd be knocking on his door by now. The issue of possible physical damage is what keeps me from jumping into this with both feet. Although the nose is plastic, repairing or replacing it (and having to paint it to match the car) wouldn't be cheap. Also, in the event of a more serious accident, removing the rubber bumper crash protection would give an insurance company a reason not to pay the claim. Sorry to be talking like a grown-up; an obvious lapse in my normal behavior.

Is the bezel which holds the badge a separate piece, or is it part of the strake? Also, is the badge readily available? I'd be satisfied if I could get a look similar to DevonDave's, but without the mesh.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Graham,
Where do you get the mounting hardware to fit the number plate below the grille?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

After reading all these replies I have come to the conclusion that says basically each to their own. I can see the reasoning in both camps. Yes the one piece does look cleaner but on the other hand I bought this XKR because of the way it looks. If I liked the design before I bought it I should still like it now. I spent a HUGE amount of time modifying my BMW but at the end of the day I simply do not think it was worth the time and effort.
I am going to concentrate getting this car in as near "from the factory" condition as I can.
Like many others I think these cars are going to be future classics. I think it has already started as the price for of my car has actually gone up since last year.
So thank you for all your opinions gents. Its been an interesting read.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by max224
I really like the idea of the strake with the bezel and badge against a mesh grille painted black. Alas, I'm on the wrong side of the pond from XKRacer or I'd be knocking on his door by now. The issue of possible physical damage is what keeps me from jumping into this with both feet. Although the nose is plastic, repairing or replacing it (and having to paint it to match the car) wouldn't be cheap. Also, in the event of a more serious accident, removing the rubber bumper crash protection would give an insurance company a reason not to pay the claim. Sorry to be talking like a grown-up; an obvious lapse in my normal behavior.

Is the bezel which holds the badge a separate piece, or is it part of the strake? Also, is the badge readily available? I'd be satisfied if I could get a look similar to DevonDave's, but without the mesh.

The badge is easy to find on Ebay, the newer designs are cheap enough from Jaguar...........

The straker and bezel are all one piece

Truthfully your insurance would have a hard time proving otherwise since Jaguar fitted full mesh grilles themselves......

The following users liked this post:
max224 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the information. As it turns out, Adamesh makes a kit for the 1997-2003 XK8 which includes the mesh grille (in stainless; black or silver), and the strake with the badge, which would seem to me to be the best way to go. Next thing I have to find out is whether they ship to this side of the pond, and the (gulp) cost in $$$ with shipping.

Alternative suggestions welcome.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

They will ship.......... Always makes me laugh as some of the pictures they use are of mine, one of them is actually the same car i showed above.........

Last edited by XKRacer; 11-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
Thanks for the information. As it turns out, Adamesh makes a kit for the 1997-2003 XK8 which includes the mesh grille (in stainless; black or silver), and the strake with the badge, which would seem to me to be the best way to go. Next thing I have to find out is whether they ship to this side of the pond, and the (gulp) cost in $$$ with shipping.

Alternative suggestions welcome.
Originally, I got the Adamesh badge and straker but it did not fit well on my flat mesh grille. Then I saw the badge and straker from XKRacer and bought it; and, at my request, he used a red XKR badge from the nose of the stock XKR vs. the black badge that Adamesh uses. I'm very happy with it.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 11-15-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the original looks better - the mesh does look ok tho'

Old 11-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LondonXK8Boy
I think the original looks better - the mesh does look ok tho'
It's all a case of personal preferences. I am with you though I think the original looks better.

Before I got my current car, a 2003 XKR, I had to make a choice. Do I get a good early x100 or wait a bit and go for the more modern X150. I like the interior of the X150 and prefer the exterior of the X100. As I could afford the X100 and have a little money left to do it up I decided to go for that one. As I said earlier I prefer the exterior of the X100 and the 3 part grill is part of that look. So I am sticking to it.

Only those truly in the know about Jags know that the grill makes it look like an earlier model.

When my friends see my car for the first time they all think its younger than it really is. So far 5 out of 5 people who were asked "how old do you think the car is then?" all 5 said around 3 years or younger.

But be it 3 part or 1 piece grills these cars look great.......

Old 11-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

This is a debatable subject, horses for courses, I prefer a single piece grille but I like it behind the opening rather than in front.....

Old 11-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer

Like the 07 XKR style bumper cover for the 97 - 05 body XK8... it's it a direct bolt on?

Quick Reply: Xk8 front grille