XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Installed New Speakers - No Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XK8 Installed New Speakers - No Sound

My Jag is a '99 XK8 convertible with the standard sound system. I ordered my speakers online and the front speakers (Sony XSGTX 1640) arrived first, so I installed them while waiting for the rear speakers and they sounded great. I installed the rear speakers (Kicker Comp VT 08CV654) and there is no sound at all, not even static. The radio is not coded and everything seems to be working normally according to the radio display. All stock speakers and new speakers are marked 4 ohms. I made the mistake of reinstalling the side panels and seat before testing. I disconnected the battery to do a reset and that didn't work. Before I tear it apart again, is there anything I may be missing or does anyone have a solution to my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I chose the 6 1/2 inch Kickers based on many recommendations in the forum. I removed the trim on the speakers as instructed before gaining access to the rear speakers. The speaker holes were too small and they would not fit without enlarging the hole. Just a warning to those who don't want to get involved in metal work, check the size of the hole before you purchase your speakers.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Rear Speakers - No Sound

I admit that I am not savy with stereo installations.
However, from the wiring diagram on the standard system, it may be that the wires to the rear speakers may be reversed since you have sound through the front and not the rear.
The output for your speakers are from the radio/cassette unit and call for the following:
Pass Rear - pink/white wire to positive on speaker; Black/green wire to negative
Driver Rear - pink/black wire to positive on speaker; black/yellow to negative

The following users liked this post:
davepsj (07-27-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default speakers

I replaced the whole system in mine. 99 xk8 standard system. Did not really have to do anything with the rear speakers other than put a set in that i did not like. I did find though I had to cut the connector as it would not fit my new crappy speaker. When I reinstalled the old ones I put the connector back on the wire and slid it on the speaker. The speaker did not work and I had to clean the old connector. It could be a poor connection. Did you try the speakers on some other system in your house or put a multi meter on them as there could be a slim chance your new speakers are not working. I put component in the front and a new deck so there was alot of spicing but did not have to run any new wires mostly as they are already run for the premimum system. As mentioned earlier did not have to do anything with the back speakers. If memory serves me there may be some other wires back there that you may get mixed up.

davepsj (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the advise so far. I did use the correct polarity on the wires, hooking them up based on the polarity marked on the old speakers. I believe if the polarity was reversed they would still work, but be out of phase. I haven't had a chance to take it apart again and do some testing. Hopefully I'll find something simple.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Howdy
I assume that you have a s w level mode control on your head unit that is not set to the minimum level.

davepsj (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Problem solved! Thanks for everyones help. I just got done putting it back together. The problem was when one of the rear speakers was installed the wires got pinched between the speaker and the metal mounting bracket, shorting it out. Corrected the wiring and the system sounds beautiful.