Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 vs XKR reliability & maintenance costs: CATS suspension & brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default XK8 vs XKR reliability & maintenance costs: CATS suspension & brakes

Just wondering about the following features on the '03-06 models:

1. the CATS suspension - is it prone to frequent trouble or maintenance concerns? It seems significantly more expensive to replace the CATS shocks/struts than the standard equipment, however how many miles/years are people typically getting out of them before they require replacement?

If these are relatively reliable and have a very long service life, then perhaps the added cost won't be much of a concern. I am somewhat concerned about their availability in the future, as I doubt that replacement parts for such a low production vehicle will be available forever, and it is my understanding that there is currently no way to disable the fault code generated if standard non-CATS components are used, correct?

2. brakes - I realize that this varies alot per individual due to driving habits, but how many miles are people getting between brake pad changes on the XKR?

I haven't inquired about brake component costs for the two models yet, however if for some reason the brakes need serviced more frequently on the XKR, I won't even consider them.

This would just be a car for weekend cruises during nice weather, not a daily driver, I doubt if I'd even put 2k miles per year on it. In other words, the maintence costs for parts most prone to wear such as the above *should* be minimal, however I'd like to have some idea of what I'm getting myself into if I choose the XKR.

Thanks in advance for any comments, the info on this board has been invaluable to me.

edit: BTW, if there are any other maintenance concerns unique to the XKR, I'd appreciate it if someone brought them to my attention.

Last edited by OhioXK; 02-15-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added question
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

OhioXK Do not worry about the cost! even if it is just a weekend cruiser. Just buy exactly what you want and you will be happy

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

When I started shopping around I started by actually shying away from the XKR since I previously had a turbo car and there were unique problems due to the turbo. However, I became convinced that superchargers do not share those problems so I included XKR's in my search. Then the more I looked the more I started leaning towards preferring an XKR. Most of the reason was I was used to 14 years of driving a fairly high-performance vehicle (1995 Corvette) and wanted something that was close to that performance.

I visited a bunch of independent shops and mechanics and the only thing they warned me about pretty consistently was that the brakes in the XKR were much pricier than an XK8. However, like you I am doing pretty low mileage even though the car is a daily driver. So I figured whatever extra cost there was in owning an XKR was worth it.

Good luck with your shopping!

Doug

Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I've owned my 06 XKR since last July and am like you--just wanted a convertable for those nice drives. I must admit we've taken some longer trips because the ride is a whole lot more fun and comfortable than the Honda pilot and the "wow factor" looks from people who see the ride but not quite sure what it is unless they're familiar with Jags. The only problem I've encountered is the aux. pump on the intercooler which I plan to replace when I've got a spare weekend. The non working pump isn't an issue until I load up the supercharger on a long up hill climb. Other than that it's unique ride with comfort. I did test drive a BMW M3 convertible but didn't like the loud exhaust system when the top was down. I was told it was factory exhaust but still too loud for me. Hey, I enjoyed that big bad sound in my teen years, but I'm older and wiser now---that's why I bought the XKR.

Mike, 2006 XKR Conv.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, the suspension is where my wallet takes a beating. The CATS adaptive shocks are hard to find, and 3 - 4 times the price of regular shocks.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have owned my 2005 XKR for over three years now and it has been an excellent car. I drive it about 6000 miles a year and not had any major problems. I have the Brembo Red Caliper option and this braking system has been excellent. I changed out the rotors and pads about a year ago and it was no big deal. Yes, parts and labor cost a little more but if you shop around the parts really are not that expensive. The car has been very reliable and I plan to own it for a long time. The looks and ride speak for themselves.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments & advice.

I spent some time looking around for brakes yesterday, it looks like replacement pads/rotors & a caliper rebuild kit could be had for well under $1k, which is more than I'm used to for my other cars, but far less than I was concerned about.

SeismicGuy, I have somewhat the same concerns regarding performance, coming from driving an older muscle car. Whichever model I choose, it'll be nice to have something which can actually drive at normal highway speeds without spinning the motor at 3000+ RPM while getting 8 mpg.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioXK
Whichever model I choose, it'll be nice to have something which can actually drive at normal highway speeds without spinning the motor at 3000+ RPM while getting 8 mpg.

Sounds just like my 1970 Roadrunner

Doug

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default SUPERCHARGED! ..How Cool is That

Go with the XKR. The car is just plain awesome. Years from now, the Supercharged cars will be "The Collectables". (Big Block Vettes of old are 2 to 3 times value of small blocks. Z06s are the future collectable) Every time I get in mine, I have a special feeling of being so smart and so glad I got such a cool car to drive. I would like an "8" but I absolutely love my "R".

How many factory Supercharged cars are out there? Pontiac Grand Prixs from the 90s were FWD V-6 ho-hum, same for the Buick Rivearas, T-birds from the 80s, some Mercedes (aren't they diesels though?). Can't think of any others.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
Go with the XKR. The car is just plain awesome. Years from now, the Supercharged cars will be "The Collectables". (Big Block Vettes of old are 2 to 3 times value of small blocks. Z06s are the future collectable) Every time I get in mine, I have a special feeling of being so smart and so glad I got such a cool car to drive. I would like an "8" but I absolutely love my "R".

How many factory Supercharged cars are out there? Pontiac Grand Prixs from the 90s were FWD V-6 ho-hum, same for the Buick Rivearas, T-birds from the 80s, some Mercedes (aren't they diesels though?). Can't think of any others.
Amen - and I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I bought my '90 T'Bird Super Coupe - it was nothing like the pleasure of this car! DaleD

PS However I kept the chrome plaque Ford gave owners then that said "This car made especially for ..." It is now proudly on the XKR dash. When folk ask, I say "It was made just for me - they just didn't know it!"

Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by FLA. STEVE
I thought I would add fuel to the fire, All the coupe owners will disagree. If you look at the production numbers of the XKE they made fewer coupes than convertibles and we know which one brings more money. Just stirring up the pot.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve

Any Mercedes ending with 55, like the CL55, SL55, E55, S55 are all supercharged V8s. The 500K and 540K of the 1930s were Kompressor equiped as well, and they're worth a few dollars today. They offered turbo diesels but I never have seen one of their cars with a supercharged diesel (not that they don't exist, I just don't think there ever were any). I also think some of their turbo cars, like any of the 65 cars; especially the SL65 will appreciate better over time once they bottom out than their lesser V8 versions (they should with 604HP/738ftlbs).

I agree on the more collectible later thing. In general the highest output version of a car is worth the most over time. Vert/Coupe, I don't know, so no comment there.