Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR 2001 electric fault, suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR 2001 electric fault, suspension fault

Hi all!

Few days ago and when I started the car I had the MIL "electric fault" alternating with "suspension fault" and beep tones every some seconds. I did a ODB II scan which gave me P1638 and U1155. The instrument cluster works fine but when I switch on (RUN) the car I don't have the self test (all illuminated signals test). Instead of that I have both indicators green arrows on, high beam (blue) on and that's all....
The car runs without any other problems and performs as usual, the suspension also.
I will check the fuses and the connectors of the ECM.
Any other ideas or advises?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

p1638 is CAN ECM/IPK circuit malfunction
U1155 is SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Compact Disc

Try disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it,might work

Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The CAN code is showing that the instrument pack and the ECM have a communication fault. Pull all the connectors for both, inspect them for corrosion or damage and spray them with electronics cleaner as a starter. Trace the wiring harness between them to look for damage, broken or shorted wires. The other thing indicated is an instrument pack or ECM failure. I don't know what the other code means, you must have a nav system that is having a software problem.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having the same problem. Can you tell me the location of the connctors you are talking about. Are they the ones behind the shifter knob, because I noticed that my cruise light won't come on when I push it.

I am also having a Navigation issue, because the car came with a DVD copy of the original nav disc. 2002 XK8 Convertible.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 PM

I did some searching, and found some additional information...

..........A fuse is continually blowing and I get the following messages:
Suspension Fault & Electrical Fault
I was told by the Jag Dealer mechanic that this model does NOT have a suspension sensor, and therefore the problem must be eslewere. The mechanic thinks it is in the wiring harness under the seat. He took out the seats reconnected all of the connextions. The fuse continues to blow.
I have had the car in twice and have gone through atleast 10 fuses. Now I don't change the fuse. This fuse also controls the cruse control. I really miss this. This has been going on for about 3 months.

........only a couple things for you to check. relays go bad. the jag computer at the dealer can test these somehow? check your positive battery cable going through the firewall right in front of the computer. mine was loose. unhook the battery, and reseat ALL the computer connections you can get your grubby mits on. relays and fuses too! last thing, a couple of guys have had the soldered ground inside one of the computer cases fail cracked open. the circuit board is soldered to the metal "sheilds" and this is the only ground to the boards? haven't seen it myself, but he opend up the computer box (not really that scary) and resoldered the cracked grounds and it fixed all of his gremilins.
time for a new battery maybe? 5 years is MAX life imho on any battery in cars these days. could still be something else, but these are things you can check yourself, or with a competent techie friend.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM

From what I have read, the fault is caused by the connection under the driver seat. I put a new fuse in #14 fuse in the drivers dash fuse box. It was a 10amp fuse, I replaced it with a 15 amp.

If you want to get to root, it takes about 5 mintes to get the drivers seat out once you have a #40 star socket. Check the connections of the large connector there. By unplugging it a couple of times it cleans the connections.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 AM

Many thanks for the prompt reply! I will try the fuse and the connector under the driver's seat. You will have my news soon.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakeb1
It was a 10amp fuse, I replaced it with a 15 amp.
Be careful doing that - not good practice.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 AM

Hi all!
Trying to resolve the "electrical fault " MIL, I found a blown fuse in the driver's side (LHD) fuse box. The fuse is located fifth from the top on the left row and it was a 10Amp. I replaced the blown fuse with a new one and I had no problems for one day! The next day I switched on the ignition and the same fuse blown again causing the same problems. Since then I replaced the fuse four times but the problem remains.I think that it has to do with the power supply of the " Body processor module (5 V logic and lamps). Any ideas?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

It has to be a short, instead of blowing fuses all day long, you should pick up a 'fuse buddy' type of device, replaces the fuse, and measures voltage going to it...I assume it also has a protective feature...then its a matter of tracing back all the items on that circuit...can't be fun, but its a trial and error thing you can do by unplugging a module/switch/harness one a time until you find the cause. good luck, takes patience!

The following users liked this post:
daug (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
It has to be a short, instead of blowing fuses all day long, you should pick up a 'fuse buddy' type of device, replaces the fuse, and measures voltage going to it...I assume it also has a protective feature...then its a matter of tracing back all the items on that circuit...can't be fun, but its a trial and error thing you can do by unplugging a module/switch/harness one a time until you find the cause. good luck, takes patience!
Any relative circuit diagram?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Gus's website may have your electrical diagram, check the FAQ thread at the top of this subforum for a link to his website, or get your post count up to 10 first, then also in the FAQ is a link to download the Jaguar Technician Information System program, it has all the electrical diagrams for MY up to 2004, and lots of other great Removal and replacement instructions, specs, and system/part descriptions. Its a must have for all jaguar owners.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Default 96 Vanden Plas suspension warning

My 96 VP blew the right rear air shock a few weeks ago. The replacement blew almost immediately after system pressure was restored. I disconnected the pump power and released a bit of tank pressure until 'normal' ride height was restored. The car is drivable but that pesky suspension warning is constantly displayed. My plan is to sell the car at auction, but first the display must be disabled. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are you still there, daug?

Was this instrument panel problem ever resolved?