Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xkr 2001 trunk struts - resolved - new struts installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Question Xkr 2001 trunk struts - resolved - new struts installed

Silly question?

Are the trunk struts supposed to make it easy to open the trunk and easy to close the trunk?

What exactly are the trunk struts supposed to accomplish?

My trunk, when the button is pushed just unlatches the lid and it stays almost in closed position ( most would not even know it is open) and then you must raise it by hand which is really quite difficult. Especially with packages in hand.

Once it is ¾ or more open it tends to stay or go to the open position and when closing it takes bit to pull down and when it gets ¾ of the way down it is fairly easy to close and latch.

My point is - it seems difficult to operate the trunk lid either way.

Do I need new trunk struts?

If I need new struts, are aftermarket as good as oem?

Any trunk strut purchase suggestions?

Thanks in advance for info and suggestions.

Happy Holidays to all...
and as always,
Happy Motoring...

Last edited by sklimii; 12-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

My wife's XK8 trunk has always responded the exact same way yours does. Most other XK8/XKR owners report similar experiences....

My S-Type trunk springs wide open all by itself whenever I press the "open trunk" button on the key fob....

Two different cars, two different trunk cantilever designs. We wish the XK8 trunk would respond like the S-Type trunk does, but we have learned to live with it....

Old 12-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I always thought the struts were there to hold the trunk/boot lid open, not to make it easier to open. This has been the same on all my cars, although most of those have had tailgates, being hatchbacks or estates. I am rather glad the lid does not spring open when the button is pressed, as I have been known to accidently push the button when getting into or out of the car.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Agreed. Your trunk lid is working as designed.

Originally Posted by renaultvation
I always thought the struts were there to hold the trunk/boot lid open, not to make it easier to open. This has been the same on all my cars, although most of those have had tailgates, being hatchbacks or estates. I am rather glad the lid does not spring open when the button is pressed, as I have been known to accidently push the button when getting into or out of the car.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

OK, HELLO TO ALL, THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
I HAVE ORDERED AND RECEIVED NEW STRUTS FOR THE TRUNK.

I HAVE INSTALLED THE NEW ONES, TOOK LESS THAN 5 MINUTES WITH A 10 SECOND LEARNING CURVE.

I AM SORRY BUT I WILL NEED TO TAKE EXCEPTION WITH THE REPLIES I RECEIVED FROM MY FIRST POST.

THE NEW STRUTS WORK AS THEY SHOULD NOW AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM MY DESCRIPTION IN FIRST POST.

FIRST WHEN YOUR PUSH THE BUTTON THE TRUNK LOCK WILL RELEASE (THE LID STAYS DOWN)YOU CAN BEARLY NOTICE IT OPEN, MOSTLY THE SOUND OF LOCK WILL TELL YOU THE LID IS UNLATCHED, BUT WHEN YOU OPEN
(PULL UP)THE LID BY HAND ABOUT 10 TO 12 INCHES, THE STRUTS TAKE OVER AND SLOWLY OPEN THE LID THE REST OF THE WAY IN A DAMPENED MOTION (SLOWLY BY ITSELF ).

THIS VERY NICE AND THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

WHEN CLOSING THE TRUNK LID YOU NEED TO LOWER LID BY HAND UNTIL YOU GET ABOUT 10 TO 12 INCHES FROM CLOSE AND THEN THE NEW STRUT TAKES OVER AND CLOSES AND SECURES THE LID IN THE LOCKED POSITION, BY ITSELF.

I BOUGHT THE NEW STRUTS FROM LIFTSUPPORTSDEPOT.COM I NOTICED THEY ARE THE SAME OEM LIFTS THAT CAME WITH XKR ORIGINALLY
STABILUS LIFT-O-MAT HERE IS THE LINK TO THE SIGHT AND PRODUCT.

3http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-SG303068-SG303069-OEM-Mercedes-Rear-Liftgate-Tailgate-Lift-Supports-/231078184668?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item5cd5546dcHOPE

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU DECIDE IF YOUR TRUNK STRUTS ARE WORKING THE WAY THEY WERE MEANT TO.

ALTHOUGH MY FRONT HOOD STRUTS WORK WELL THE STRUTS SHOULD WORK IN THE SAME MANNER AS THE TRUNK JUST A BIT LARGER.

EASY UP, EASY DOWN
( SOME OF US OLDER GUYS COULD PROBABLY BENEFIT FROM NEW SOME NEW STRUTS AS WELL) LOL
AS ALWAYS
HAPPY MOTORING...

AND HOLIDAYS...

The following 2 users liked this post by vettegood:
GalaxyDriver (12-21-2014), SPIJohn (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I am rather glad the lid does not spring open when the button is pressed, as I have been known to accidently push the button when getting into or out of the car.
How about when the button gets accidently pushed while in your pocket, and some hours later you look out a window to see your trunk lid wide open .....

...... IN THE RAIN!!!!

Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

I am rather glad the lid does not spring open when the button is pressed, as I have been known to accidently push the button when getting into or out of the car.
+1

My knee tends to hit it once in a while as well. Unless it hits the gas filler cap first.