XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR with Arden body kit - jack up the front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Question XKR with Arden body kit - jack up the front?

Hi All,

I plan to do some work on my front brakes so I need to jack up my car, but with the Arden full body kit on - how do I do it best? do I need to remove the front spoiler to be able to get a jack under the front cross beam?

from what I can see underneath the front of the car, the Arden front spoiler goes all the way over the front cross beam where I want to place the jack to lift it up.

I'm little worried to remove the front spoiler as I not 100% sure I will get it to fit properly again, once it has been removed.

anyone have any experience from this? - many thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails XKR with Arden body kit - jack up the front?-sidefront.jpg  
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

You can't jack on the radiator support (where the air dam attaches) without damaging the car. Don't try to jack there.

Even jacking on the engine cradle behind the radiator support requires a well cushioned jack, because the cradle is soft aluminum.

I have low wooden ramps that I drive on to get the car high enough to put a jack under made from stacked 2X10 planks.

The proper place to jack is on the body pinch weld along the rocker panel, behind the wheel opening and inboard of the side skirts or under the lower wishbone if you are going to put a jackstand at the body pinch weld seam.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:40 AM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default inflatable jack

Hi mate,have you considered a inflatable car jack to start off with,this would inflate the car up enough for you to then install you trolley jack and axel stands,not sure how much theses go for but if you intend to be keeping your jag for a good wile it would be a good investment as the body kit does look nice

Old 05-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi,

many thanks for Your feedback!

I will follow "Ungn" advise and use a small ramp so I can jack up on the
under the lower wishbone, then put a jackstand at the body pinch weld seam, need to check how the side skirts are mounted first, assume I need to dismount them first. I get back with an update once fixed.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
You can't jack on the radiator support (where the air dam attaches) without damaging the car. Don't try to jack there.

Even jacking on the engine cradle behind the radiator support requires a well cushioned jack, because the cradle is soft aluminum.

I have low wooden ramps that I drive on to get the car high enough to put a jack under made from stacked 2X10 planks.

The proper place to jack is on the body pinch weld along the rocker panel, behind the wheel opening and inboard of the side skirts or under the lower wishbone if you are going to put a jackstand at the body pinch weld seam.
FYI, per the link HERE, the radiator crossmember IS the correct spot for jacking up the car - there was a lot of going back and forth and it was finally agreed that was the correct spot for placing the jack for lifting the front of the vehicle. I have lifted my car using that point and it was fine...

Old 05-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

+1 to what blindside said. There's even a little arrow on the stock under tray showing the center point to place the jack

Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by blindside
FYI, per the link HERE, the radiator crossmember IS the correct spot for jacking up the car - there was a lot of going back and forth and it was finally agreed that was the correct spot for placing the jack for lifting the front of the vehicle. I have lifted my car using that point and it was fine...

I think that is Jaguar wanting everyone to periodically have to buy a new $350 undertray they just cracked. I wouldn't put it past them.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I put a 18" 2X4 between the floor Jack and the support to distribute the weight, have used the center Jack point for years with no issues.