XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR coupe audio thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XKR coupe audio thoughts

I read through the audio upgrade posts here (and elsewhere on the web) and got some great ideas, but I'm still not quite sure what to do to my car. So here's what I have and what I'd like the end result to be - ideas on how to accomplish this would be great!

My car is a 1999 coupe with what I believe is the most basic audio system. There are empty speaker pods on top of the dashboard and an empty place for a subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf. The steering wheel has buttons for volume and a button with a telephone logo, but no channel up/down buttons. A cd changer in the boot, no telephone in the car and no navigation system.

How do I know if my car has an amplifier? Or is it clear from my description that it doesn't? Are the speakers wired directly from the radio head unit and are there any crossovers anywhere, or are all of the speakers (and the wires in the empty speaker pods) wired for full range?

I'd like to have mp3 playback and navigation if possible, but I can let the navi go if it seems to be too complicated. What I don't want is a separate device with which to control the mp3 playback. What I mean by this is that I'd like to have everything being controlled on the same head unit, not just a line in to the factory stereo with some external device, like an iPod, to control the playback with.

Of course better speakers and a subwoofer in the original place would be great too.

I've been looking at this: Krämer KR-747 for the head unit. It would do everything I'd like and it is a single din device. The only issue is will the front plate thing fit in the dashboard...
And of course the steering wheel controls will most likely not work with this one.

Any other ideas?

Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Oh yeah, just to clarify in case someone want's to recommend something: I do want radio but do not need CD or DVD playback. Usb or SD card etc. is fine for the music playback.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

well, here is 1 option for you. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stalled-62954/

It is aggressive, but I have to say that I am very pleased with the performance and results. Since the initial install, I have integrated the steering wheel controls for volume, radio/song changes, and screen brightness. I have also installed a 1500 watt amplifier instead of the 2 small amps I initially installed. Again, agressive, time consuming, maybe expensive compared to somewhat similar alternatives, but everyone that see's it is impressed, functionality is high, sound quality is excellent, and it is fun to customize and mess around with. Certainly not for everyone though.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Looks like you did a great job!

I looked at a couple of the 2din installs I found (though I only now saw yours) and they all have the extra panel moved into the glove box. That's not going to work for me, since we have pretty cold winters here and I need to use the heated seat buttons all the time.

Otherwise a 2din device would be fine. I installed a 2din head unit with an Android detachable tablet as it's front plate to my previous car (Porsche 944S2) and had big plans to use the OBD2 interface and GPS with performance measuring software - track profile loggers, g force measurements etc.
I did all that and then found that in the half a year or so that I had it, I never once actually used those... So that's why I decided I'd just need a radio, mp3 playback and preferrably a navi.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what i did

I have a 2000 xk8 with standard radio and cd changer.
I recently changed out radio.
I put in a single din pioneer 9400, cd,bt,sirius xm, pandora and bt ipod controls and 2 usb inputs. I also added a pyle backup camera with a 3.5 screen mounted just next to radio left side on kick plate and also a pro clip iphone holder that charges phone. They also have available other models that can charge and direct connect into radio. I then added a bi pass for the antenna, so its down except when i want to listen to regular radio. I mounted that in the glove compartment.

I ordered a fascia Adapter and a wire harness from Nexxia fp-14 and a fascia plate for an xj8 from coventry west that fits and both adapters make it look more stock. Dont worry about the wire harness, did not need it, it was easier for the shop just to wire radio.
The axxis steering wheel adapter works great and allows for the steering wheel controls to work for your radio.

I can take some iphone pics for you, just pm me with your email if you want to see them. I will post this mod once i get a better camera. I also have a stock radio, cd changer, and wire harness if anyone needs.

Attached Thumbnails XKR coupe audio thoughts-dscn0352.jpg   XKR coupe audio thoughts-dscn0353.jpg  

Last edited by Keithxk8; 09-10-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Keithxk8
I have a 2000 xk8 with standard radio and cd changer.
I recently changed out radio.
I put in a single din pioneer 9400, cd,bt,sirius xm, pandora and bt ipod controls and 2 usb inputs. I also added a pyle backup camera with a 3.5 screen mounted just next to radio left side on kick plate and also a pro clip iphone holder that charges phone. They also have available other models that can charge and direct connect into radio. I then added a bi pass for the antenna, so its down except when i want to listen to regular radio. I mounted that in the glove compartment.

I ordered a fascia Adapter and a wire harness from Nexxia fp-14 and a fascia plate for an xj8 from coventry west that fits and both adapters make it look more stock. Dont worry about the wire harness, did not need it, it was easier for the shop just to wire radio.
The axxis steering wheel adapter works great and allows for the steering wheel controls to work for your radio.

I can take some iphone pics for you, just pm me with your email if you want to see them. I will post this mod once i get a better camera. I also have a stock radio, cd changer, and wire harness if anyone needs.
Thanks, I'd love some pictures!

I've been reading up on the single din adapter but cannot seem to understand what the xj8 fascia plate actually is. Can someone post sort of "idiot comparision" of the original and the xj8 one, so that I can see what part the plate actually is?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 AM

Hmm, I cannot seem to access the PM page so I cannot send you my email

Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 AM

Actually I got an idea. Maybe the seat heater etc. buttons could be installed in the small cubby in front of the gear selector. Isn't that where the convertible button is in a cabrio?
Maybe if the hazard button would be relocated somewhere else, the other ones would fit there?

Then I could use a double din device like the Clarion NX302E that would solve every need I have...

Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuoma
Hmm, I cannot seem to access the PM page so I cannot send you my email
You need 3 days forum membership AND a minimum of 10 posts to get full access including PM's.

At the time I'm writing this, you need one more day and one more post.

Graham

Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 AM

Thanks to Keithxk8 for the pics, now I understand what the difference is in the facia!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also some receivers face tilt up to 30 degrees that will make it look even cleaner and flusher

Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

can't separate the buttons, unless you're good at electrical engineering and make you're own. The row has to stay together.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM

OK. I made some decisions and then I made some purchases
Now I have a few open things but the big idea has revealed itself to me!

I bought these:
- Kenwood KIV-700 single din player
- The needed ISO connector and steering wheel control adapters from Nexxia
- The DIN adapter for the xj6 dash also from Nexxia
- A dash holder for a separate navigation unit (I got this one)
- A 5" navigation unit that can go on the holder when needed

I still need the dash panel from the xj6 to make the din-sized radio to fit. Any ideas where to get one from? I'm guessing it will cost an arm and a leg from Jaguar (at least here in Finland...). I only found one auction on ebay and it's from the US and the ad says they don't ship overseas.

In addition to that lot I'm going to upgrade my speakers like this:
- Front doors will get new mid bass drivers
- Dash pods will get tweeters
- Rear panels will get coaxial units
- Parcel shelf will get a subwoofer + the cd changer in the boot will be replaced by an amplifier for the sub

Now, the questions:
- Are the speakers REALLY 6" units, as described here? Or will 6.5" units fit? I cannot seem to find a single manufacturer currently producing 6" units for cars, let alone a company selling them.
- Is the subwoofer also really some non standard size - i.e. a 10" unit will not fit?

Can anyone who has actually tested the fitment comment on these?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuoma
Now, the questions:
- Are the speakers REALLY 6" units, as described here? Or will 6.5" units fit? I cannot seem to find a single manufacturer currently producing 6" units for cars, let alone a company selling them.
- Is the subwoofer also really some non standard size - i.e. a 10" unit will not fit?

Can anyone who has actually tested the fitment comment on these?

Thanks in advance!
I can't remember about the 6" or 6.5" speakers except that I had no trouble finding them. As far as the subwoofer goes, it is 8".

Mark

Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Hmm. The 8" woofer is too small for the hole in the parcel shelf directly, an adapter plate would need to be fitted.

Can you verify the speaker size from somewhere (receipt etc.)? I'd like to make sure before I buy anything

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The Kuda navigation holder is intriguing, but won't it prevent you seeing the heater temperature display?

I would like to find a solution for my TomTom, as I hate sticking it on the windscreen.

Please post some pictures when your headunit is installed

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Yeah, it might block the temperature display. Have to wait and see, but basically that was the only option I found that was not a] butt ugly, and b] requiring holes to be drilled to my car.

Hopefully it can be removed when the navi is not used, but anyways the temperature display is the least used thing at least in my car. It's always set to 22 celcius and automatic

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

6.5 in, or 6-3/4" speakers will fit, I've put them in my doors. You will need a spacer on the door, but you can buy them, or shop can make them doing the install from MDF wood.

The kenwood will look nice in place of the factory deck. No PAC-SWI for the connection to the existing steering wheel controls?

If you fail with the XJ6 surround, I can purchase one from the dealer here and ship it to you... its only $60 US. Did you try Jaguar Las Vegas? Its a sponsor of ours...maybe ship overseas?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
6.5 in, or 6-3/4" speakers will fit, I've put them in my doors. You will need a spacer on the door, but you can buy them, or shop can make them doing the install from MDF wood.

The kenwood will look nice in place of the factory deck. No PAC-SWI for the connection to the existing steering wheel controls?

If you fail with the XJ6 surround, I can purchase one from the dealer here and ship it to you... its only $60 US. Did you try Jaguar Las Vegas? Its a sponsor of ours...maybe ship overseas?
PAC-SWI? Briefly looked at their web site, doesn't support the XKR.
I ordered an adapter from Nexxia along with the ISO-adapter and DIN mounting plate. I ordered this one and a Kenwood adapter for it (this one).

Thanks for the offer! I'll check with the local Jaguar dealer here to see how much it is and try Jaguar Las Vegas as well.

Oh and thanks a lot for the info that the 6.5" will fit! I'll make a set of mdf rings for it then as I'll be doing the install myself. I was planning on using the excellent instructions on the site I linked except that I'm going to run rca cables for a singnal level input for the subwoofer.

Last edited by Wuoma; 10-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: XKR coupe audio thoughts