XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR replacement engine number?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks Graham. Yes, the test is for car importation. Would you by any chance have s picture of this - I can't actually locate it......

The following users liked this post:
GGG (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I don't but I found this one motorcarman posted:

The view is from above with all obstructions removed!

Graham

Old 08-19-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Graham, I thought that was the emission code, or is the engine number also there? My understanding is that the engine number is on the left side of the block just behind the motor mount.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 AM

Still not found it, Graham. Do I have to remove anything to see it ie what obstructions have been removed or must be removed? Or can you (or anyone!) tell me tell me exactly where I should be looking, compared with things I might understand!.......photos would be handy.

Thanks, people.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:56 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by RJ237
Graham, I thought that was the emission code, or is the engine number also there? My understanding is that the engine number is on the left side of the block just behind the motor mount.
The number 971119 0839 indicates an engine coming off the Bridgend production line at 08:39 on 19th November 1997. The number on the side of the block was the originally cylinder and crankshaft grading. I no longer have an XK8 to be able to go and check if the engine number was moved on later examples.

Graham

Old 08-20-2018, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Now I see the confusion. Starting sometime around 01 the number was moved to the side of the block, definitely on the side for the 4.2.

GGG (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:15 AM
GGG

Again, not one of my photos although I have highlighted the engine number in a red box. This was posted by clubairth1 in 2010:

020627 0445 indicates an engine coming off the line at 04:45 on 27th June 2002.

The number is on the left side of the engine block and almost directly behind the engine mount. The large screw-in drain plug may help location.

Graham

Old 08-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Useful stuff! Presumably l will need to jack up the car to see the numbers from below?

Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM
GGG

The only way to see it from the top is going to be with a small inspection mirror or a borescope.

Graham

Old 11-12-2021, 02:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

Total Jag newbie here and looking to buy my first one in the coming days if all goes well. I’ve learnt a whole lot from just reading tons of your posts from years and years, so first of all thanks for that!

I’m “mid-deal” on an 2000 X100 XKR and I have been able to find it had the engine replaced due to the famous nikasil issue at 92000km in 2005. It so happens that Jaguar (both in Portugal and the UK) doesn’t have a computer record of this intervention and it isn’t recorded in the car’s books either. Basically all I have is a replacement tag (the green one) in the engine and the word of mouth from the dealer where it was done (as the current GDPR seems to not allow them to share any more info than the very basics through a whisper on the phone).

Now, the dealership in Lisbon doesn’t know because it wasn’t done there, and the dealership where it was done refuses to share any info.

Just from the green tag, is there any way I can find out if this car that initially had the nikasil engine with faulty plastic tensioners (it’s a MY1999) got upgraded to metal tensioners automatically with a jag exchange engine in 2005? Or were they likely to have preserved the distribution and just changed the block itself?

Basically I’m just trying to find out what tensioners I have in there to avoid having to put it in a shop and pay for the man hours to check it on a car whose owner I might not even reach an agreement with.

I would also like to know if there’s any chance they got an AJ34 in there instead of the original AJ27 as in 2005 the AJ34 was already in production. Hopefully not as I’m looking for a car as close to original as possible. And AFAIK, that would also make it a 4.2 instead of the original 4.0 (big no no for me).

Thank you so much for your help in advance! I’ll attach the green tag, bore/piston decoding number and a pic of the block.

Gonçalo

Diddion (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 04:33 AM

Hi. I imported a 2005 X100, XKR convertible, from the UK, when moving to Portugal in 2018. I used the new immigrant concession of no import duties on a car I have owned abroad, so was not hit with the tax of about €30,000 that would otherwise have applied. It is a lovely stylish car, well suited to the Portuguese roads, so I hope your negotiations go well.

Can you say why the engiine VIN is a problem? I can’t see how it could have passed any IMT inspections with VIN issues - is it matriculated with a livrete and Portuguese registration number? If not, and it has a UK Number, for example, it is illegal here to buy and sell such cars. Furthermore, you could land yourself in huge costs and importation duties. Be interested to know more!

If all is well, consider joining the British Expats in Portugal Facebook group (open to non-Brits!). Steve Robinson, one of the admins and a car nut himself, may be able to help or to point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing more about this!

Last edited by Diddion; 11-13-2021 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

My car had the motor replaced very shortly after I acquired it in 2004.
I had read that reman motors as recently as 2002 were still using the old-style secondary tensioners, so I lifted a cam cover to confirm. They were the later-gen metal-bodied type thankfully.

As far as I know, the replacement is complete, but less ancillaries;- water pump, PS pump, AC compressor, generator, etc. (I have an invoice for a water pump replacement very shortly after its first engine replacement)

On MY 2000, I'd expect the engine # to be on the top of the block, although I imagine it could be even harder to see on a SC car.

My replacement motor # is date period-correct for the age of the car.

HTH

motorcarman (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,038 Likes on 834 Posts

that engine is really old, like before 2000

Old 11-13-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Diddion
Hi. I imported a 2005 X100, XKR convertible, from the UK, when moving to Portugal in 2018. I used the new immigrant concession of no import duties on a car I have owned abroad, so was not hit with the tax of about €30,000 that would otherwise have applied. It is a lovely stylish car, well suited to the Portuguese roads, so I hope your negotiations go well.

Can you say why the engiine VIN is a problem? I can’t see how it could have passed any IMT inspections with VIN issues - is it matriculated with a livrete and Portuguese registration number? If not, and it has a UK Number, for example, it is illegal here to buy and sell such cars. Furthermore, you could land yourself in huge costs and importation duties. Be interested to know more!

If all is well, consider joining the British Expats in Portugal Facebook group (open to non-Brits!). Steve Robinson, one of the admins and a car nut himself, may be able to help or to point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing more about this!
Hi Diddion, thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this subject.

The car is and always has been a portuguese registered vehicle. The sole thing I'm trying to achieve is finding out if this engine has the metalic or plastic tensioners without having to pop a cover which will cost me a couple of man hours, something I ideally want to avoid doing when I havent necessarily reached a final agreement on a deal with the current owner. That would in turn allow me to make a reasonable offer to the current owner based on what I know I can count on as expenses from here on.

Unfortunately, the engine number isnt part of this car's Documento Único/Livrete and I can't use that as a source of information.

As soon as I become a proud owner, I'll be glad to join any group around

Gonçalo

Old 11-13-2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
My car had the motor replaced very shortly after I acquired it in 2004.
I had read that reman motors as recently as 2002 were still using the old-style secondary tensioners, so I lifted a cam cover to confirm. They were the later-gen metal-bodied type thankfully.

As far as I know, the replacement is complete, but less ancillaries;- water pump, PS pump, AC compressor, generator, etc. (I have an invoice for a water pump replacement very shortly after its first engine replacement)

On MY 2000, I'd expect the engine # to be on the top of the block, although I imagine it could be even harder to see on a SC car.

My replacement motor # is date period-correct for the age of the car.

HTH
Hi Michael, thanks for the input!!

The information I was given is that both the engine, the ABS module and an "hydraulic group" (?) were replaced in the past. The engine replacement I'm sure it happened in '05, not sure about the rest and there seems to be no registry of these interventions in Jag's central computer system as I was told this was in the transition era between paper and computer records...

Just to make sure I'm getting this right, are you saying I should still have an engine number somewhere else aside from this number on the exchange green tag?

Thanks!

Gonçalo

Old 11-13-2021, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
that engine is really old, like before 2000
Hi xalty,

Would you say there's any change an nikasil-affected engine was still replaced with another nikasil lining engine? Or would a replacement with a Jag exchange engine necessarily mean it's got the steel linings? Also, would a replacement of this type in 2005 mean it necessarily comes with metal tensioners?

Thank you very much in advance!

Gonçalo

Old 11-13-2021, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGoncalves
The information I was given is that both the engine, the ABS module and an "hydraulic group" (?) were replaced in the past. The engine replacement I'm sure it happened in '05, not sure about the rest and there seems to be no registry of these interventions in Jag's central computer system as I was told this was in the transition era between paper and computer records...
Not sure what a 'hydraulic group' is either - perhaps lost in translation somewhere?
My local dealer does have a record of the engine changes, even though the dealerships here changed quite a few times over the years. Perhaps (as seems usual these days) that they just are not interested in our old cars

Just to make sure I'm getting this right, are you saying I should still have an engine number somewhere else aside from this number on the exchange green tag?
Yes. As far as I can see, the green tag just carries Jaguar's part number for a replacement motor. The new motor's original factory build number should still be present on the top of the block. Certainly, that is true for my car.
You can be sure that a Jaguar reman. motor will have steel cylinder liners. I would be very surprised if it didn't also have metal-bodied tensioners if it was replaced in 2005.

@Diddion - bem-vindo de volta I'm sat on a balcony this evening here in neighbouring Funchal with a nice glass of red. Hope you are good.

edit: just to pick up on xalty's note - mechanical cruise control is an AJ26 motor (pre-99) - are you sure of the car's age? Can you post the last 6 characters of the VIN?

Last edited by michaelh; 11-13-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:08 AM

@michaelh obrigado! sim ainda estou vivo! What a wonderful country this is!

Old 11-15-2021, 06:23 AM

Of course Michael, it’s 038789

It was first registered in 03/2000, being MY1999

Madeira is a lovely place btw, can’t get tired of it even though I visit quite frequently! Enjoy it!

Last edited by GGoncalves; 11-15-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
edit: just to pick up on xalty's note - mechanical cruise control is an AJ26 motor (pre-99) - are you sure of the car's age? Can you post the last 6 characters of the VIN?
Mmm, I really should have done my homework better. the XK8 changed to AJ27 for 99 (031303), but the XKR stayed with the AJ26 until 2000 (A00016) and retained the mechanical CC. So today I'm a little wiser.

Madeira is a lovely place btw, can’t get tired of it even though I visit quite frequently! Enjoy it!
We visited for the first time last week and loved it. Some of the scenery is awesome

Quick Reply: XKR replacement engine number?