XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR tranny connector o-ring sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XKR tranny connector o-ring sizes?

Well it is leaking again, and the 13 pin plug receptacle was replaced just a little over a year ago...
I would like to replace the o-rings with Viton units, does anyone know the size of the 2 o-rings on the connector body and the one on the housing?
I can't find any info on the housing (cable end) o-ring anywhere...

thanks!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

I would love to have the same information. My connector plug was replaced last summer as part of a transmission tune up with a new connector plate and new fluid. I should've just stuck with the new fluid, as nothing was leaking before the work.

Funny thing, it didn't start leaking until the seasonal change to cold weather. If the nightly temperature gets under 30-35 F, then it leaks about a teaspoon to 2 teaspoons. If the nightly temperature is in the 40's F, or warmer, zero leaks. The smart thing to do would be to just move to the tropics.

Z

Old 01-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

They come on a new sleeve and the pan has to be dropped to unlock the sleeve. Buy a new connector and you can then get the measurements from that. The sleeves are not expensive

Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe the pan needs to dropped for the connector removal on the early XKR cars (4.0 L) using the 722.6 Mercedes transmission.

Z

Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
i don't believe the pan needs to dropped for the connector removal on the early xkr cars (4.0 l) using the 722.6 mercedes transmission.

Z

yeah only the ZF trans

Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

HepCat1, may I suggest just ordering a new connector thru Pelican Parts. They have the real deal Mercedes OEM part, and it fits much better than the Chinese cr*p I replaced, which leaked to high heaven. They also have a good quality 722.6 pan gasket, also a genuine Mercedes part. Pelican parts is much faster with the shipping than the usual Jaguar vendors, if that helps any.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/

Z

Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM

I obtained the OEM Mercedes part (transmission mounted connector body, $7.50 delivered off ebay) and removed then measured the o-rings, consulting the charts they appear to be #125 & # 222.
This appears to be the latest Merc part #A 2035400253, but it has the black o-rings, which may be regular Viton but I know of no way to tell.
The Jaguar TSB does describe changing out to the high temp (red) type...
I removed the o-ring from the cable mounted connector, it appears to be #124.
I will order the high temp Vitons in these sizes and test for fit.
There is one on the conductor plate, but unless someone has one out of a tranny to measure I will be waiting to remove mine for replacement until I find out how long this fix lasts...

Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Those red o-rings are not available anymore from Jaguar or any Jaguar vendor , afaik. The connector sleeve sold by Barrett's with a Jaguar label comes with the black o-rings. I bought one of those, and one made by Mercedes. Many of the ebay parts sold as OEM Mercedes parts don't have the Mercedes logo cast into them, including this connector sleeve. I read on a Mercedes forum that they are having a big problem with the connnector sleeves advertised as OEM Mercedes, but are really Chinese junk.

In comparing the genuine Jaguar part and genuine Mercedes part, they both appear to be identical. And both are NOT the same dimensionally as the ebay item I purchased on eBay that was supposed to be Mercedes OEM, but wasn't.

i installed the Mercedes branded sleeve, and although I shouldn't have to, I smeared a light coating of Hylomar on the orings. That stuff can really help out on problem leaks, but it's still a bandaid that one shouldn't have to use.

Z

Old 01-26-2019, 10:17 AM

The part I bought of Ebay came from a reputable seller, in factory Mercedes packaging and has the part # and Mercedes logo embossed in it, so if it is a fake it is an extremely good one.
The fact that the Jaguar upgrade red o-rings (JLM21110 & JLM21111) are NLA is why I have been going down this road.
The high temp (red) Viton o-rings are not expensive or difficult to find, but rarely sold in singles so I will probably have a few extra... If you (zray) want to try a set to see if it solves the cold temp leaking I will send you one.
If spending just a few dollars more makes any difference in how long this lasts it is well worth it to me!

The following users liked this post:
zray (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HepCat1
The part I bought of Ebay came from a reputable seller, in factory Mercedes packaging and has the part # and Mercedes logo embossed in it, so if it is a fake it is an extremely good one.
The fact that the Jaguar upgrade red o-rings (JLM21110 & JLM21111) are NLA is why I have been going down this road.
The high temp (red) Viton o-rings are not expensive or difficult to find, but rarely sold in singles so I will probably have a few extra... If you (zray) want to try a set to see if it solves the cold temp leaking I will send you one.
If spending just a few dollars more makes any difference in how long this lasts it is well worth it to me!
my ebay copy didn't have the Mercedes logo, .
the latest version of both the Mercedes and Jaguar parts do not have the red O-rings and that TSB from Jaguar (date 3/99 #307-10) mentioning the red o-rings is 20 years old. Maybe the issue was fixed by using a better quality black o-ring. If the red ones were still needed, I would think the latest production run of the sleeves would have them.

Thanks for the offer, so far, no leaks with the newly purchased Mercedes part. My issue was it leaked when the weather got colder, i.e. the O-ring failed when it shrank due to cold temp. It didn't fail in hot weather, or have a leak when the engine / trans. was up to operating temp. so no failure when hot.

If ity starts leaking when hot, I'll buy an O-ring from you , or just post your source would probably be best so I and others can buy as needed.

regards,

Z.