XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XK8 Shocks/Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XK8 Shocks/Struts

I have a 2000 XK8 convertible with around 74k miles on it. How do I know when to change out the shocks/struts? Also, the XK8 has rear shocks and front struts, right? That's usually how I see them advertised, with the rears just showing shocks, while the fronts are coil-over shocks and struts, all in one piece, right? Finally, if I replace the upper/lower ball joints and bushings on my control arms, should that tighten up it's handling? Thanks.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by swrichar
I have a 2000 XK8 convertible with around 74k miles on it. How do I know when to change out the shocks/struts? Also, the XK8 has rear shocks and front struts, right? That's usually how I see them advertised, with the rears just showing shocks, while the fronts are coil-over shocks and struts, all in one piece, right? Finally, if I replace the upper/lower ball joints and bushings on my control arms, should that tighten up it's handling? Thanks.
Its doubtful that your ball joints need replacing unless you can see visible damage to the boots and suspect that foreign material has gotten inside.

The quickest way to determine if things are wearing out in the suspension is to measure the ride height from center of each wheel vertically up to the edge of the fender.

If front is below 15.5 inches then you probably need at least the upper shock mounts replaced which are part of the strut assembly. If you do need to replace those then also you should replace the upper control arm bushings while you have it apart. Regardless you should replace the front sway bar bushings if they have yet to be done.

If the rear is below 15.5 inches then you have to replace similar mounting bushings that are above the shocks.

In both cases the shocks themselves are probably still good for a while. The only possibility is that the lower end bushings are failing but probably not yet. Others have gotten over 100K easily on original shocks. Regardless you should replace the rear sway bar bushings if not done yet.

If you plan to DIY you can find details about repairs in my working thread here. There are other threads too if you do some searching.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 PM

thanks! Didn't know about the 15" test. Will take your advice. I have another question. Just recently, I've notice a "burning oil" smell, but only when the engine's fully warmed up, and I'm sitting still (like at a stoplight, or waiting to pull out into traffic). I notice no blue smoke, either on start up or while driving. Some have suggested it might be a leaky valve cover gasket, with drops of oil hitting the hot exhaust manifold. Does that seem a reasonable guess?
Finally, what do you call the interior trim piece that is at the top of the windshield, and contains the center interior light cluster? Someone apparently broke off a clip when working on the convertible top's hydraulic lines (that run behind it), and while they got the piece put back up, it kinds of hangs down an inch or so because of the missing clip. Are those clips available, or do I need to replace the whole trim piece, from side to side? Thanks for your advice.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Yes, it's usually the cam covers leaking. Check the secondary chain tensioners while you have the covers off. If they have plastic bodies change immediately to the metal ones. Do a search and you'll find lots of info. Consider changing the primaries and chains also if you plan on keeping the car.

I think the bracket you want is HJA2057AB. I found several jag dealers offering that part on ebay at a good price.

The following users liked this post:
swrichar (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 PM

thanks for all the info.