XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR transmission: how to get a proper fluid level mark?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR transmission: how to get a proper fluid level mark?

Hello guys,

concerning the check and change of transmission-fluid in a XKR fitted with the 722.6 gearbox I did a lot of research but there is still an initial question:

It is impossible to get the dipstick smooth into the tube in front of the windshield. It seems the tube is bended or something.
My dad and I managed it only two times getting the dipstick to the bottom of the pan.
After pulling it out again, the whole end of the dipstick was touched with oil - so you simply cant read a proper fluid-level.

We try this with the engine not running. I read that the measurement should be done with the engine operating - is this correct?
There are some fears that under operating engine transmission fluid squirts out of the tube.

Can you insert your dipstick smoothly and read out a proper fluid-level?
Are we doing any mistakes?
We wont do a fluid-change until we are not able to check the amount of fluid inside the gearbox correct.

Any help is welcome - thanks.

regards

Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I did this last weekend, not too hard. Here is what I did:

The end of the dip stick tube needs to be slightly canted forward so it is "pointing" up between the intake tube and firewall lip, make sure it is not "tucked under" the lip coming off the firewall. If it is gently bend it out with your hand just enough so you can make a "straight shot" into the tube with the dipstick tool.

Once this is done you can get the dipstick tool in there. The tube does snake around quite a bit so just push it in slowly until it hits the bottom. Push firmly to make sure it is hitting the bottom and not hitting a bend in the tube but bon't force it or you can break off the plastic tip of the tool and then you will need to remove the pan.

The tool will be much longer than it needs to be so there will still be a lot sticking out when it is on the bottom. What I did is marked the location of the end of the tube on the dipstick with a black sharpie so in the future I can be confident of how far I need to push it in to bottom it out.

The transmission oil level needs to be checked with the engine running in park. I could not check it right after filling it though beause the fluid still on the walls of the tube would cover the reading. So afer putting some in through the tube I had to let it sit (engine off) for a half hour or so before checking it. Checking right after driving was not a problem only when I put in fluid is it a problem.

You should have an idea of the fluid temperature. There are 2 bands on the tube - 20 deg and 80 deg. For other values there is also a chart available that gives the level vs temp in mm. This can be measured from the bottom of the dipstick tool with a ruler. The chart is available on the web but if you go to the web and use the chart make sure you use one for a Mercedes or Jag, Chrysler's use this trasnmission too but the specified fluid level on a Chrysler is different. I guess they use a different oil pan?

If you have no way to find out the fluid temp the best bet is to check it after being cold for 10 or more hours on a day close to 20C . Turn it on, change through the gears with the brakes on, put it in park and then check it quickly before it heats up. If you don't want to wait for the right weather the transmission fluid temp on mine is about 70-80C after driving for 20+ minutes at highway speeds. This should be good enough to measure against the 80 degree mark.

Last edited by auburn2; 05-08-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Howdy Folks:
The dipstick does not bottom on the pan. There is a multitude of incorrect information on the internet concerning this (including some factory info). Here is the link to the thread that I incorrectly originated. Thanks again to AVOS for correcting me. (I did not just take him at his word, but I did much further research)
The effective level is the same regardless of pan depth.(722.6,NAG1,or 5WA580).
Also, If you ping the pan with a temp gun, AVOS recommends adding 10 degrees F.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...warning-78144/

The following users liked this post:
auburn2 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the link. After reading it it cleared up some things that I have been confused about. The Chrysler factory dipstick tool (part number 9336) doesn't have the protrusions and does bottom out. That explains why their fluid level (measured in mm for a given temp vice acceptable bands) would be above the upper limit in the 25C/80C mercedes dipstick.

Last edited by auburn2; 05-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If the dipstick doesn't have the ears on it to stop it from going to the bottom, then you need to adjust the readings by 5mm. I use one with no ears so I can be sure it goes all the way down. I just add fluid until it is 5mm over the mark on the dipstick.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I just wanted to add. If you are checking the temp of the pan or anything for that matter that isn't super hot (use your judgement on this one) with an IR gun place a piece of black electrical tape on the object and measure the temperature of that. This will increase the emissivity of the object and give you a more accurate temperature reading. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this on exhaust components although a flat black high temp paint will do the trick as well.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2000 XKR Convertible, Does anyone know the distance from the top of the tube to the bottom of the pan? When I poke my dipstick in it goes a way then stops, then goes round the corner and a bit further and stops again, then it will go further, but I did a rough calculation from the side of the car to the bottom of the pan and it seems like mine is going in to far? So I cant seem to get a regular reading. If someone can tell me the actual distance from the top of the filler tube to the pan I will know at which stop to stop pushing the darn thing in?

Last edited by PeterG; 04-30-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: car model