Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR vs XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by zidjan
Now..you need to indulge us with some pictures of the 928s!!
These are all I have at the moment....In 1983 the Porsche 928 was the fastest mass produced car made. This is the only 83 928S that is 5 litre, has a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, has a 2" wider suspension, has a very low rear end gear, a modified Wiesach suspension in the rear end, and as a more or less stock 16 valve engine she was timed by the Indiana State Police a few years ago, on a closed off 5 mile section of I-65 at 3:30 am to go 178mph. The factory also threw in a sunroof, and an experimental rear spoiler for free, when she was built. The 16 valve engine was chosen for around town driving, instead of the 32 valve engine, that would have fallen flat, with such a low rear end ratio.(and would have cost me a lot of $2000 clutches) It ran on 16" wheels for stability, and a lower front silhouette......I have the specifics somewhere.....Thanks for the interest....Mike

Attached Thumbnails XKR vs XK8-dscn0414_021.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0417_023.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0418_005.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0420_025.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0422_008.jpg  

XKR vs XK8-dscn0425_029.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0440_017.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0427_030.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0433_034.jpg   XKR vs XK8-dscn0430_013.jpg  

Last edited by mrplow58; 08-18-2015 at 03:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrplow58:
al_roethlisberger (08-18-2015), H20boy (08-19-2015), JagV8 (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
These are all I have at the moment....In 1983 the Porsche 928 was the fastest mass produced car made. This is the only 83 928S that is 5 litre, has a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, has a 2" wider suspension, has a very low rear end gear, a modified Wiesach suspension in the rear end, and as a more or less stock 16 valve engine she was timed by the Indiana State Police a few years ago, on a closed off 5 mile section of I-65 at 3:30 am to go 178mph. The factory also threw in a sunroof, and an experimental rear spoiler for free, when she was built. The 16 valve engine was chosen for around town driving, instead of the 32 valve engine, that would have fallen flat, with such a low rear end ratio.(and would have cost me a lot of $2000 clutches) It ran on 16" wheels for stability, and a lower front silhouette......I have the specifics somewhere.....Thanks for the interest....Mike
I've had over 11 928's, I know them inside and out. That there is a standard 928s US model. By the way, the only ones that came with the wider rear track was the 928 GTS that started production in 1992.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hm1
I've had over 11 928's, I know them inside and out. That there is a standard 928s US model. By the way, the only ones that came with the wider rear track was the 928 GTS that started production in 1992.
I was a VW, Porsche, Audi Mastertech, and gold ring wearer(upper 3% of their techs in the world) and the engineers specially built this car for me, and allowed me to stay in their vacation houses, while my wife and I had a 2 week vacation in Europe, on the company, driving my new car.

If you had later model 928s then there is a little bit of me in them, because I was close to a few of the engineers. I even met Dr Piech, while he was trying to rebuild the VW brand. Later on in the history of the company, Porsche was a seperate entity, with the only connection with the parent company being VW was still doing their paperwork.

It does look like a USA spec car, because it was built for export. As a matter of fact, the 928 was originally designed for export, because Porsche didn't think they could get the air cooled engine through the emission standards, that didn't come to be for 20 years, and the engine was put in the front, because they didn't think the 911 would pass the more stringent safety standards the USA put out, but didn't enforce, until 2005.

I really don't care how many 928s you have had. I don't lie, and am insulted that someone who could afford 11 of these cars is questioning me. Do you work on your own cars, or are they just a way to blow off a little steam. I mortgaged my little house for my car, and paid $10,000 less for it, than the normal $64000 price tag the dealers were getting out of citizens for the run of the mill cars. If you notice, this car even has the GTS rear spoiler, which was still a prototype in 83. The GTS was the swan song of the 928, and that suspension was used in competition for years before they stuffed it under a wider street car.

Notice also that the later 928s had 944 seats installed in them, because they were cheaper to produce, and also many VW parts, including the part numbers. because the 928 had exceeded it's build price, so they were cutting corners where they could. Mine was the last 16 valve engine they played with that year, and the other one was owned by John Gotti. His car was wrecked by a DEA agent, after they took his leasing company in New Jersey. An 83 928 also only had an 85mph speedometer. The 32 valve variable valve timing engine was a gimmick, that didn't breathe until it was over 3000rpm. It had to have variable valve timing, or it wouldn't leave the line, against a Mustang. The 32 valve engines didn't even have sodium filled valves after 1990.

Porsche made it, because other manufacturers were coming out with 32 valve engines, and even the VW Scirocco had a smaller 16 valve version of the 32 valve, as well as the 944. Why do you think with all the factory backing, the 32 valve engines didn't live up to the hype at Lemans, coming in behind all but 5 of the 911s. Porsche didn't want to lose their spot in the market place, so the 32 valve engine was born.

The intake runners on mine have been opened up with a diamond slurry, and the intake port is a half inch larger at the rear of the intake, with an Audi airbox. It has a minor cold start issue, but once warmed up she is a runner. I put the larger air filter pipes on, before I realized the airbox would only ingest so much air. So much for public school math...

If you look closely at the exhaust, it is an Ansa exhaust, with everything removed in between the engine and it, except for a catalytic converter. I do hope you have more than money, and actually know some Jaguar history, instead of what you could buy from Porsche. Slam me and others with your expertise of everything automotive.....be cool....Mike

The following users liked this post:
H20boy (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM
hm1

I don't doubt it's modified, I see the stickers an pop out CD player. It's an 83 928s with a 4.7 motor. There was no such thing as a 5.0 928s in 1983. That wing is looks like it was added by one of the previous owners, it's a standard S4 wing.

There was the Euro model that had 300hp, that one can be easily distinguished-- it had dual distributors. That euro model was importerted into the U.S. as a grey market car.

No one is knocking your car, I like 928s and I've always done all the work on them myself. Since its my favorite car, I just happen to know everything about them. They were my daily drivers for 15 years, until I noticed that I needed something newer for a daily. That's how I ended up with the XK8 :-)

Last edited by hm1; 08-18-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Its definitely true that there are few XKR coupes, and the ones I find seem to have pretty high mileage.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hm1
I don't doubt it's modified, I see the stickers an pop out CD player. It's an 83 928s with a 4.7 motor. There was no such thing as a 5.0 928s in 1983. There was the Euro model that had 300hp, that one can be easily distinguished-- it had dual distributors. That euro model was importerted into the U.S. as a grey market car.
I read all your posts, and have come to the conclusion, that you are a poof, who asks questions, mostly about bolt on items. or where parts are. I know you don't know any mechanical specifics, other than what you ask from someone else. I don't think you ever(REALLY) worked on a car, and are surviving off a Craftsman rollaway, and Harbor Freight or Craftsman tools to do your"upgrades"

I put the radio in my car, because it was over 30 years old..Speakers also..something I wouldn't expect you to understand......

The fact that grey market cars even made it here, meant some serviceman had it shipped over, or some poof had one shipped over. Most still needed to be federalized, which knocked them down considerably from 300hp in short order. Otherwise they would have been exported from the factory in the first place, as US models.

It is just like our stock sport bikes are faster than stock European bikes, because the Europeans are required to cut the breathing and exhaust. Grey market cars back then also had side lights, because the rich and senseless enjoyed pretty lights, and CIS injection, with 2 distributors. CIS injection was stopped, because it couldn't pass emissions over here anymore, without large restrictive catalytic converters. Guess what was put on all federalized grey market cars, as well as knock sensors, that retarded the timing by as much as 30 degrees.

I loved drilling an undrilled boss on a grey market car. By the time US emissions were through with grey market cars, they were lucky to have the HP as a stock domestic, but they still had pretty lights, on their front fenders.

If you don't have emission testing where you live, you can only sell a grey market car to states with no emission testing standards.

My car was a US spec car, with some goodies in it, and a 5 litre sleeved block. It runs so clean, it almost cleans the air as I drive it. It passes much better than my XK8. If the XK8 was tested by what comes out of the tail pipes, instead of only faults, the 928 would leave it in the weeds. I can tell so by how clean the tail pipes are. I'm going to have to decarbonize it, just to get close.

That is why I paint inside my tips, so I can tell how good they are running.( another thing you can plant in your brain) The 07 X type runs very clean also. I'm not saying my 928S is the fastest car in the world, just the fastest production car when it was made. I don't care what you drive now, but a Subaru shitbox WRX sti would gut it, on the street, even if you own a Ferrari, or a supercharged XK8, that you can only bolt parts on......leave me alone.....I am glad you think you are a 928 expert, but I have to eat......Mike

Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

DBAM,
I might be entirely wrong here but I believe the number of coupes sold were about 10% of the total XK's sold in the U.S. so a coupe XKR is a relatively rare car, and 04, 05, and 06 examples are even more rare than the 03 as the number of cars sold declined each year.
It took me 2 years to find my XKR coupe, it is a low mileage car and I bought it at a decent price but it needs work, so be prepared.

Mike,
I have every sympathy with you, your being played and although you know it you're still biting.
Let it go.
Regards,

Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by White Bear
DBAM,
I might be entirely wrong here but I believe the number of coupes sold were about 10% of the total XK's sold in the U.S. so a coupe XKR is a relatively rare car, and 04, 05, and 06 examples are even more rare than the 03 as the number of cars sold declined each year.
It took me 2 years to find my XKR coupe, it is a low mileage car and I bought it at a decent price but it needs work, so be prepared.
Ha, thats like a red flag to bull for me. It will now have to be my mission to find that 4.2 XKR coupe

Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Mike,
I have every sympathy with you, your being played and although you know it you're still biting.
Let it go.
Regards,[/QUOTE]

Thanks.....I just have a hard time dealing with experts, that I know aren't, after I've read all his previous posts......I let it go, ate supper, watched a movie, and am hitting the rack. With 121 posts in 5 years, I probably won't have to deal with him again, for a long while.......Be cool.....Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 08-18-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Mike,

I'm always amazed at how when you make a statement you know to be 100% accurate, based on actual and documented experience, there will invariably be someone ready to dispute it. It happens to me fairly frequently, and I usually just shrug and walk away (I said usually!). We've both been on this planet awhile, have experiences and accomplishments well above the norm, and we know what we know.
Besides, who, and for what reason, would anyone own 11 928's anyway? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Regards,

Max

Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM
hm1

If you own a 928, you know it's different. It's not like a normal car. It's overbuilt.. My first car was an old beat up 1978 928, I was hooked. Between me and my brother, we spent our college years restoring and rebuilding them.

It's hard to understand if you're comparing it to an xk8. As much as I love my XK, it's falls under 'normal'...which is great for a daily driver(looks great too).

With all due respect /mrplow58 , I have probably forgotten more about 928s than what you've ever known about them. I suggest you jump on over to the Rennlist forums and do some research on your on car... Those are people who live and breathe 928's. You will quickly find out that you are incorrect about most of what you claim , especially the engine. It's good to know what you're talking about, do the research first.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 PM
hm1

Current xk8, playing with the color combos. These cars are for fun, as were my 928s. Thinking of doing a blue dash, still deciding..

Old 08-19-2015, 02:33 PM
hm1

Btw, those are Aston Martin DB7 Vantage wheels...fit like a glove

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
hm1

This is the other one(have 2 xk8's now). This one is going for sale soon!! Time fly's!! It was supposed to be a 'temporary car', I've had it for 8 years! I transferring some parts over to the blue car. I've done a lot on it, but it's time for a vert now.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:55 PM
hm1

Going back to the original question. XKR ALL THE WAY!

You won't be winning any races, especially against fast cars today. But... It's a better experience!! I would even say, convertible! Yes the body flexes more, but with the top down....ohh my!

Last edited by hm1; 08-19-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM
hm1

My first 928. These pics are over 20 years old.. It was a 1978, converted to an S4 with 993 rims. Took me 8 months to complete. There are some things I would not do again, the steering wheel for example. What your seeing there is a 1992 mustang steering wheels wrapped in leather. Looking back on it, a bit ghetto...not as bad as a pop out DVD player in a Porsche though. What can I say, I was young.

Last edited by hm1; 08-19-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by max224
Hi Mike,

I'm always amazed at how when you make a statement you know to be 100% accurate, based on actual and documented experience, there will invariably be someone ready to dispute it. It happens to me fairly frequently, and I usually just shrug and walk away (I said usually!). We've both been on this planet awhile, have experiences and accomplishments well above the norm, and we know what we know.
Besides, who, and for what reason, would anyone own 11 928's anyway? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Regards,

Max
He is from Miami, and is talking about Rennlist. This was the group I was talking about that was hanging their clutch hydraulics from home appliances and walls, in order to bleed the system.

I know what I know, and he knows what he knows.(evidently a lot according to himself) Rennlist is a lot like the Corvette forums, where everyone is measuring their short shriveled members to see who is the bigger man. It usually amounts to the one with the most money, or the loosest *sshole.

If he has never raced, I can't explain to him what a sleeved block is, or why a hp engine might have a little trouble clearing itself out, before it warms up.

I am not going to even bother with his cars, but I do like the fake carbon fiber he covered up the real wood with, no matter how thin it is. His experimentation with color is MAAAAVELOUS. I can see him in his pink shirt, with a white sweater tied around his shoulders now. IT IS MIAMI

Like I said before he is a poof, trying to make me feel less than him, because he has X-Ray eyes, and can see what my 83 5 litre engine looks like inside. I had 2 928 blocks with glass on the studs, as living room tables. I only keep this 928 around, because it reminds me of better days, when my friends were still alive at the dealership.

928s are WIDE, and got wider over their less than 20 year history. It is easier to park a first gen Hummer, than a late 928(I can't say last generation, because they hardly changed since they were introduced) They drive like pickups, unless you were going straight,(They have about a million ways to make a 928 suspension turn, without replacing the tyres every 4000 miles) They are that wide, and are less comfortable than an old BMW 3 series.

As for an XK8 being normal to him, he is stuck with mid 90s tech, if he bought the LAST 928. There isn't anything I can say to save him.

Luxury and style will always trump horsepower. If I wanted that, I would still be playing around with muscle cars, that just stood there spreading rubber along the rear quarters.

Thanks for the support guys and gals......Mike

Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 PM
hm1

He is from Miami, and is talking about Rennlist. This was the group I was talking about that was hanging their clutch hydraulics from home appliances and walls, in order to bleed the system.

I know what I know, and he knows what he knows.(evidently a lot according to himself) Rennlist is a lot like the Corvette forums, where everyone is measuring their short shriveled members to see who is the bigger man. It usually amounts to the one with the most money, or the loosest *sshole.

If he has never raced, I can't explain to him what a sleeved block is, or why a hp engine might have a little trouble clearing itself out, before it warms up.

I am not going to even bother with his cars, but I do like the fake carbon fiber he covered up the real wood with, no matter how thin it is. His experimentation with color is MAAAAVELOUS. I can see him in his pink shirt, with a white sweater tied around his shoulders now. IT IS MIAMI

Like I said before he is a poof, trying to make me feel less than him, because he has X-Ray eyes, and can see what my 83 5 litre engine looks like inside. I had 2 928 blocks with glass on the studs, as living room tables. I only keep this 928 around, because it reminds me of better days, when my friends were still alive at the dealership.

928s are WIDE, and got wider over their less than 20 year history. It is easier to park a first gen Hummer, than a late 928(I can't say last generation, because they hardly changed since they were introduced) They drive like pickups, unless you were going straight,(They have about a million ways to make a 928 suspension turn, without replacing the tyres every 4000 miles) They are that wide, and are less comfortable than an old BMW 3 series.

As for an XK8 being normal to him, he is stuck with mid 90s tech, if he bought the LAST 928. There isn't anything I can say to save him.

Luxury and style will always trump horsepower. If I wanted that, I would still be playing around with muscle cars, that just stood there spreading rubber along the rear quarters.

Thanks for the support guys and gals......Mike
Uhhh... Really? I take it you really buy your own take on things.. Btw, the 928 is only 2 inches wider than an xk8....which is a small car.. Another wannabe expert...Ok I guess

Last edited by hm1; 08-19-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

That is sweet...and you have the 5 speed instead of the auto too...928's are one of classic sport car that i would to have.

Thank's for the pics

Old 08-19-2015, 06:59 PM
hm1

Porsche 928
1987–1992: 72.3 in (1,836 mm)
1993–1995: 74.4 in (1,890 mm)

Jaguar xk8
Width 1997–2004: 1,830 mm (72.0 in)

Somebody get this clueless guy a beer...lol

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (08-19-2015)