Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR8 - DSC warning light

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy XKR8 - DSC warning light

Can anyone give me some advice or help?
Bought an XKR8 (52 plate) that had been sat for year ... did 400 miles the year I bought it.
It "hunted" badly between 35 - 40 miles an hour - the garage cleaned up the EGR valve a few times, it improved but was even better after a new battery.

Recently the ABS light showed all the time and frequently the DSC light also came on which disabled the cruise control.

Had it serviced, they changed the ABS sensor and the DSC unit!!! at an enormous cost.
Drove it 2 days after delivery from service and both the DSC and ABS lights came on again, disabling the cruise control.
However, we were on a long drive to Wales and then used the car every day for a week and it did not happen again.

My thoughts ... is there something that "sticks" when the car is sat for a week or 2 that when first started it doesn't open/operate correctly, turn the engine off and re-start and it clears/"opens".
Was it wrong to change the DSC unit, was it something else that is not happy to sit (I only use the car at weekends and if the weather is good!).

If the DSC unit was changed, is it right to say that the lights should not have come on at all on that first drive afterwards?
I left the car standing for a week and tried again and it was ok but I am wondering that all the drive to Wales etc was enough to keep the "real problem" more flexible .... I will be leaving the car standing to see if it re-occurs but wondered if anyone has any suggestions .... thank you !

Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

You will probably wet more response in the XK8 section. Perhaps one of the mods can move the thread. There is a DIY sticky thread you can look through.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

If the problem only happens after the car sits for a period,then the first thought would be the battery being low. These cars are sensitive to voltage, especially the DSC and ABS systems. If you check the battery voltage after sitting over night you should see at least 12.4V.

Next thought for an intermittent DSC would be dirty wheel speed sensors. A fairly common issue and easy to resolve:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ors-faq-37434/

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Welcome to the forum aldeburgh99,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help section to the XK8/XKR section for wider viewing and input from members with the same model.

As Charlie says, this is a regular issue. This solution doesn't often turn out to be throwing ££'s at it. Follow his advice on battery and wheel sensors for the commonest causes.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, you had the ABS module replaced before visiting the forum. The problem with the module is usually bad solder connections to the abs pump, which can be repaired as a small DIY project by those with minimal mechanical ability, or by several repair services which advertise on ebay here in the states, and likely on your side also.

The recurring warning is likely due to either dirty wheel speed sensors or a broken connecting cable. Do not let someone sell you new wheel sensors without proper testing. They hardly ever go bad and are expensive.

The link provided by ccfulton should help solve your problem.