Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another CD changer post

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another CD changer post

Hello all.

I have a 2003 XK8 with the usual CD problem. I have tried all the fixes on these forums to no avail. I therefore bought a replacement changer on Ebay, How do I get the old one out? It is attached to a metal stack with amp and hydraulic top pump on top. I undid the screws holding the stack in place, but could not remove because of the top hydraulics and there was a metal part on the back keeping it from coming out.

Anyone know how to remove the changer? Am I making it more difficult than it needs to be?

Many thanks, Brent

Old 04-05-2018, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

There is no need to take the whole frame out - the CD changer itself is fixed to the frame by screws on each side. Take these screws out, unplug the connectors from the CD changer, and it should then just slide out from the frame.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

When I took mine out, I unscrewed the pump. Would have to look but I don't remember it being a troublesome task.

John

Old 04-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

I've taken out the player and found it straightforward.

I wanted to add though, that my problem with the player not working was caused by low battery due to a parasitic drain.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Both my CD changer and aerial play up terribly when the outside temp is <10'c. Both fine in warmer conditions. However I NEVER use the CD without the cartridge full with 6 cd's - error code appears even with 5 regardless if its drought conditions. Bless her....

Old 04-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Brent, you may know this already but don't forget that you can evaluate the integrity of the 4 suspension points by sliding the door open, remove cartridge, then put your hand into the space cleared by the cartridge removal and press down on the sub-chasis. You'll see if it doesn't rebound the same at all 4 corners.

Low likelihood that this will ID a problem with the spring / dampener points, but my hope is that if one is faulty you'll see it here.

Super rare for my cd to skip, wonder why yours is. I'm sure you know that dirty or scratched CDs will skip way before pristine ones will. Homemade CD's IME can be problematic too. Just want to be sure you're using the best source material as you troubleshoot this one.

No one increased air pressure in the tires right?

Above some folks mention realignment. I thought back to earlier experiences. You know folks used to warn that a dirty laser diode can cause skipping too. Maybe someone with experience can comment: is that an "urban legend" or should Brent add that to his list too?

FWIW Brent, I've disassembled my CD changer several times. You could easily clean the lens if "dirty" is validated.

Disassembly is not too difficult. Notes from memory:

Get ready to track and stow which screw goes where. There may be several different sizes to remove.

When you get the case off have a camera ready. Coordinating getting the pins into the dampeners and properly reattaching the springs is not self evident as I recall. The photos provide orientation, and sequence. Sequence referenced because I think you'll find that reassembly of the suspension follows an order to make it easy.

Hey while you are there grease the gears, it wears out over time and eventually friction causes binding = loading errors.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks John

Old 04-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

You might find this useful

Franks XKR Story. - Page 30

Hope it helps.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello chaps . Do hope everyone is ok. I have a problem with the cd changer on my XK8. Eve though it’s loaded with the full cassette of 6 I get the message NO DISC . Any ideas on this one maybe ?
Thanks a lot.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cpt.NKT
Hello chaps . Do hope everyone is ok. I have a problem with the cd changer on my XK8. Eve though it’s loaded with the full cassette of 6 I get the message NO DISC . Any ideas on this one maybe ?
Thanks a lot.
You could try removing the cartridge and spraying the insides of the CD changer with MAF or electrical cleaner.

Does the cd player sound like its moving to change discs? Have you tried pushing the change CD button as i t might be just one CD your having problems with?

Let us know how you get on.

The following users liked this post:
Cpt.NKT (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, sort it out finally. Got the cartridge out, and sprayed an electrical cleaner . Works perfectly all right. Fingers crossed that this was only the problem.
Thank you frankc.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you got it sorted. No doubt you will help me out one day, thats what these forums are all about.

The following users liked this post:
Cpt.NKT (04-19-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks John for the good advice. My problem is a little more than skipping CD's however. There is a CD stuck inside the player and I cannot get it to retract into the cartridge, thus the cartridge will not come out. It makes noises as if something may be happening inside, but the cartridge will not come out.