XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yo, random start glitch. Found no exact info on it yet

Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Yo, random start glitch. Found no exact info on it yet

So every once in a while, I'd pop in the car, turn key to start, and then dash lights flash on and then off to nothing. All lights and electrical will be off, key would do nothing, switches do nothing. Just frozen and dead.
Only sign of any life is the red "alarm" light on gear shift and red lights above Oil and Battery gauges (I have the 3 gauge, not navi).
Battery is brand spank new high end 4 year guarantee Bosch, 2 months old.
When it does start, its right away with barely a crank. So that's not the issue.
Cure is to pop Neg cable off battery and touch it to Pos post, re-attach then we are all green!
Doesnt happen regularly, but enough to carry a 10mm ratchet in truck with me always.

Anyone else ever gets this lil gremlim?

Old 03-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Do you have to do the hard reset or will just removing and reattaching the negative battery cable work?

Reason I ask is I had the same issue, turned out to be the negative battery cable, got a new one for $10 from the local auto parts store and now 2 years with no more issues.

Stock one looked fine but had a tendisy to corrode at the terminal.

Just a cheap suggestion to try.

The following users liked this post:
Julian Black (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I had a similar problem. Does the end of the ground cable get hot ? I replaced my ground strap with a heavy duty solid cable and no problems since. Cheap fix.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Hey THOSE answers are great! The neg terminal is clean, but the ground cable is this unshielded braided cable, like an engine ground cable. Always thought that was weird, and never seen that in any car before.
Prob a factory penny pitch, gonna change out that sucka today. Thank you!

Old 03-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Do you have to do the hard reset or will just removing and reattaching the negative battery cable work?

Reason I ask is I had the same issue, turned out to be the negative battery cable, got a new one for $10 from the local auto parts store and now 2 years with no more issues.

Stock one looked fine but had a tendisy to corrode at the terminal.

Just a cheap suggestion to try.
I think last time, I didnt do hard reset, by accident, and it worked. Always did hard reset cuz I figured to had something to do with immobilizer, and car thought it was being stolen.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

It is not only the braided ground cable that may be your problem.

While tracing a similar problem, I noticed that the red positive cable from the battery to the high current fuses became very hot, 50C (120F). It seems this cable may degrade inside without any visible signs.

It is also a thin walled battery clamp which is not very rugged. Changed the whole with a generic more robust clamp and cable.

In addition, underneath your car approximately where the gearbox meets the engine, you have a braided ground to the chassis. Worth checking.

Attached Thumbnails Yo, random start glitch. Found no exact info on it yet-20150912_173954.jpg   Yo, random start glitch. Found no exact info on it yet-20150912_174113.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by oyster:
Johnken (03-05-2017), Julian Black (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

There are positive connections on the bulkhead fittings in the engine compartment and a ground cable from the right rear of the bellhousing to the frame that often are a problem. Follow the positive battery cable to the two main fuses in the forward part of the spare tire well and make sure those connections are good.

It's often not enough to just check that all these various connections are tight, but that the terminals are clean and free of corrosion.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Agree to all above but my money is on the battery negative cable being the problem as when the OP plays/disconnects it and reconnects the problem goes away.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:18 PM

So here's what i did.
I do have an engine ground, but its on top, didnt see one under. And yeah the battery connections are really cheap. Even my old Saab has more robust connections. Anyways, I took off braided cable and made it tight, so no braids were loose, as it was. I then tightly wrapped it with electrical tape and cloth tape. But while putting it back on, the screw post sheared off! then I noticed the screw post holder(?) is just lightly welded to body! The connection is no better than other common earth grounds, what crap! So I used the upper bolt to hold fuse box for the connection. This bolt goes into and threw the body. Should be a much better connection now.
So many times, I find myself shaken my head at how badly things were made in the car.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I posted about the exact problem last year or even the year before. It must be happening to others more often because these are new fixes then in my post. I was told check battery and connection. Going to try these other possible fixes.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Julian
Same issue on my 03 XKR, turn the key and nothing, the temp fix is a hard restart. Is your fix still working?
Thanks
Pete