Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2000 XJR - Premium Alpine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2000 XJR - Premium Alpine Replacement

A little help please,

I've bought a replacement all singing all dancing Alpine sat-nav DAB head unit to replace the Premium Alpine system my XJR came with, iPod connectivity and no navigation were a step back from my SAAB.

I've managed to remove the old unit, and put in the new one, which comes on/turns off with the ignition. DAB aerial and GPS receiver have been routed under the dash and to the driver's side, it's UK spec right hand drive, A-pillar to avoid the heated screen elements.

Now the main issue,

where to find the cables/connector TO the speakers and the wire which triggers the electric aerial?

I've removed the Alpine amplifier and CD changer from the boot, in the future I'll run pre-amp to the rear and install a new 5 channel amp (front/rear/left/right and sub) and, hopefully, find the cables to the speakers that the old amp used.

Would this be the same place to run the head unit's speaker connections to?

The is mention of a connector under the passenger rear heel board where the speakers are (also?) connected, but this could be for the non-premium system, where there are speaker connections on the white plug at the head unit.

At the moment the system looks great, but sound is not so good....

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XJR - Premium Alpine Replacement-dsc_0418.jpg  

Last edited by Milowokie; 01-10-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Default Twelve Months Up The Road

A year on,

all sorted and fitted. Had to clip the connector from the speakers to the amp off and rewire it to my new ALPINE 5ch amp which is connected to the rear of the head unit with phono cables.

Split the front speakers with a crossover box to send correct signals to the door speaker and pillar tweeter.

Rears caused no problems and wired the sub out to the parcel sub.

Trimmed the standard XJ8 fascia down to fit the top of the screen and glued a bit of an old sofa to cover the exposed ribs.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XJR - Premium Alpine Replacement-dsc_0692.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Milowokie:
Norri (01-08-2017), Z07Brandon (05-16-2020)
Old 01-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Glad you got it sorted, the model specific section might have been a better place to ask last year, the audio section doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM

I doubled down and posted in both;

Originally Posted by Milowokie
Well the first month has been a battle between me and Jaguar's sound engineers.

This has been the only car I've ever had where replacing the radio requires infinite patience, the hands of a six year old, lateral thinking and the vocabulary of a dock worker.

How someone ever came up with idea that the best place for radio wiring to terminate is the boot and the second best place is under the rear seats really is beyond me.

Currently I have a nice Alpine GPS/DAB/iPod headunit installed, but it doesn't make any sound or raise the aerial as I've absolutely know idea where the cables for the speakers or aerial trigger are.

As a comparison, swapping out my SAAB's Harman Kardon amplified system required changing one pin on the ISO cable, and routing a GPS receiver to the top of the dash, through the centre speaker grille.

There has to be an easier way, short of pulling most of the interior out, to fit a radio?
It does appear the AUDIO section is less trafficked, as you suggested.