Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Repelling Dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repelling Dust

Hi I have a black x-type estate and as such it shows every bit of dirt and dust. I have had black cars before and know they take some looking after so was sort of ready for it.

I use Autoglym extra gloss protection, and do quick detailing with Autoglym quick detailer (first time user of the instant detailer and really pleased with it, re-shines it really quick.)

However, none of this stops the car getting dirty in the first place. Now I'm not after some miracle cure, and don't expect it to stay pristine all the time, but I would like to know if anyone has any good tips on trying to repel some of the dust in the first place. Particularly fine dust, as it seems to be attracted to my car a LOT!

It doesn't help there is building work going on at work at the moment, yesterday came into work in the morning with a nice shiny car, by the time I went back to it at home time, you could write your name in the dust!

Any tips, advice on dust repellent etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There no such product to repel dust but some such as FK425 are supposed to have anti static properties.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I wish there was such a product

Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sealants always fair better than carnauba waxes(tend to be sticky especially when hot) at keeping dust at bay.
One of the most effective is Ultima Paint Guard Plus, which is also one of the quickest to apply. (looks magic on black)

Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have hear great reports of the Meguiars duster. It is impregnated with paraffin to lift the dust off the bodywork....

Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

This discussion is a perfect example of why some smart old birds drive cars with matalic paint in shades of blue, grey or silver.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best way to solve this problem would be, as stated before, a car duster. I have a 'California Car Duster' and it works wonders. I keep it in the trunk so I can quickly do a once-over as needed. The best thing about the car dusters is they never need to be washed. The dirtier they look the better they clean. Im not sure how but mine looks really dirty but still cleans great.
Another common problem I would get is water spots even if I meticulously dried the car I would end up with slight water spots either on the chrome bumpers or various other nooks. With a little pressure from the car duster the spots vanish.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The California Duster works very well however, do not use it on hot paint work as the paraffin will streak leaving an attractive surface for dust on the car.

When I lived in the UK I used Autoglym and was very happy. Of late I have noticed that a few of their products have started to creep in to all places "Walmart" here in CA.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Delta66
I have hear great reports of the Meguiars duster. It is impregnated with paraffin to lift the dust off the bodywork....

NO! This will definitely scratch your paint. If you want to get rid of dust or dirt the best thing would be to wash, but if not go with a spray detailer ie. Meguiars quick detailer.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
NO! This will definitely scratch your paint. If you want to get rid of dust or dirt the best thing would be to wash, but if not go with a spray detailer ie. Meguiars quick detailer.
Could not of said it any better myself........

Dusters = Danger!!!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

haha thank you kind sir.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Your very welcome!

Have a great day!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. (Sorry long time getting back
I did wonder what people thought of the California type dusters etc., as I know lots of people used to use them in car shows I attended but that was at least 10 years ago.
Although this is my daily driver so I don't expect it to be perfect all the time.
Looks like I'm sticking with the quick detailer type products then.

I am very impressed with the Autoglym one, but might give a cheaper one a go too. Especially as it really does make a difference if the panels are hot.
(Just tried yesterday using the Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine without any Extra Gloss protection to see if it made a difference....it didn't...car covered in a film of dust again today, and that was just from being sat on the drive)

Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I disagree about dusters being "dangerous". I have judiciously used these for years on various cars and work great if used sensibly. If you have thick layers of dust or other grime, of course washing is the best thing. But for very light dust, the dusters work fine if used lightly.

Doug

Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 AM

wow, didn't expect this thread to be so contentious!
seeing as it is my daily driver I probably will use a duster lightly every now and then, saves waiting for it to cool down or rain