Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

pollution from diesels

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts
Default pollution from diesels

A heads up on the latest re UK's air quality (lack of) due to diesels:
"Court puts more heat on diesels"
BBC News - Court puts more heat on diesels

Forget DPF removal, EGR blanking, etc.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Great!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

i dont know anyone who died from air pollution!

i worked and owned a diesel repair business for 35yrs, and you havent lived untill you start an old industrial heavy duty diesel , that is in dire condition.

smoke and unburned soot fills the entire work building, we run outside because of coughing and gagging!

well i'm now 80yrs and no health problems at all!

so go figure, way i see it,some people are gonna get health problems , no matter what they do or what there enviorment is!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

quick trivia; there were no humans 1 million yrs ago, why should we expect some in the future!

that really relates to your personal level of SELFISHNESS.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't do diesels , they belong in Locomotives , Tractors & Berlin Taxi's ...

Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Five Speed
I don't do diesels , they belong in Locomotives , Tractors & Berlin Taxi's ...
Personally I think that school of thinking is a little outdated fivespeed.

I remember when that was the case, probably in the late 80's early 90's very tractor like, slow, black smoke and very noisy

That's so different compared to diesels of today I assure you, very quick, very torquey, fast and also very economical compared to petrol.

The BMW 535D for example was quoted as being almost there or thereabouts with the M5 in some respects.
I've driven the 335 twin turbo and it was very quick, yet still capable of around 40mpg when driven normally

They can be easier to remap / tune than a petrol too, when serviced and looked after properly, very little downside.

Things have came a long way in 30 years.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (11-22-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
i dont know anyone who died from air pollution
You may not do but the figures are for tens of thousands who do die every year due to pollution largely from diesels.

More likely is that you DO know people who died just you don't realise pollution was the cause.

This is so like the debate that used to occur that smoking didn't cause deaths.....

Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
You may not do but the figures are for tens of thousands who do die every year due to pollution largely from diesels.

More likely is that you DO know people who died just you don't realise pollution was the cause.

This is so like the debate that used to occur that smoking didn't cause deaths.....

you should Utube, BMW Alpina D3, vs the BMW petrol 3 series.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

The relevance is????

Old 02-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always liked the smell of diesel exhaust, I don't know why, just do.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Fair enough - and people often like things like benzene. Snag is they're highly carcinogenic!

Old 02-14-2015, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Never owned a diesel, but have always been impressed when I have rented them. Guess I just like torque.

Some do take it to far , and (as we say in Oz) draw the crabs

ronbros (02-16-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You can't break down pollution on 'Diesel'-only...

Over here in Austria 2/3rd (my guess) of all cars are Diesel powered. They had been by far more efficient when it comes to fuel consumption in the last decade (e.g. 4,8 ltr Diesel to 8-10 ltr gasoline on a Golf III/IV), only the last years petrol engines have caught up with their low rpm turbos. Also Diesel had been up to 30 % cheaper then, but now they are about equal.
I have driven both (Diesel+gasoline) over the years and it is the fuel efficiency and the torque at low rpm that made me choose Diesel since I need "family transportation".

What I really hate on that article: it's just so easy to point on the Diesel cars since you can see smoke when starting/changing gears a.s.o.! But on one hand it's the simple amount of cars nowadays that causes pollution and on the other hand there are so many other producers of "bad smoke". Just think of your own heating system you need to warm up your house in winter. Do you have an air filter system like a modern Diesel engine would have? - probably not!

Yes, we have to think about air pollution and how to reduce it GLOBALLY! But to reduce the matter to Diesel powered cars/trucks - is just cheap political populism!

cheers,

ronbros (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

there was a blurb on the net ,recent studies say that just ONE modern container ship puts as much pollution as 50 million cars in the same time frame!

YIKES for reality!

i suppose we could ban all types of shipping!!! LOL,HEHE. that otta fly with the island countries! or maybe make ships burn petrol fuel(gasoline).

Last edited by ronbros; 03-09-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Mkii250 (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DukeOfStyria
Over here in Austria 2/3rd (my guess) of all cars are Diesel powered. They had been by far more efficient when it comes to fuel consumption in the last decade (e.g. 4,8 ltr Diesel to 8-10 ltr gasoline on a Golf III/IV), only the last years petrol engines have caught up with their low rpm turbos. Also Diesel had been up to 30 % cheaper then, but now they are about equal.
I have driven both (Diesel+gasoline) over the years and it is the fuel efficiency and the torque at low rpm that made me choose Diesel since I need "family transportation".

What I really hate on that article: it's just so easy to point on the Diesel cars since you can see smoke when starting/changing gears a.s.o.! But on one hand it's the simple amount of cars nowadays that causes pollution and on the other hand there are so many other producers of "bad smoke". Just think of your own heating system you need to warm up your house in winter. Do you have an air filter system like a modern Diesel engine would have? - probably not!

Yes, we have to think about air pollution and how to reduce it GLOBALLY! But to reduce the matter to Diesel powered cars/trucks - is just cheap political populism!

cheers,
They use high precision sensors and check individual cars in real time, so they DO know it's diesels and lots more about which ones producing how much of the various pollutants (NOx, PM etc). The idea that someone's just looking at smoke and taking it from there is laughable.

You can't call it "political populism" since there are no such statements from any of the important parties are there? And even if there were, that doesn't change the carefully measured scientific evidence. What is heard, though, is bs from diesel owners who don't like to know the facts. Now, this makes little sense since those owners almost never even knew or were told any such facts when considering a purchase, so should not feel guilty for currently owning such a car. Buying another - yes, sure, once you know the pollution by all means feel guilty.

The politicians have known about the NOx & PM problems for a long time - at least a decade but quite likely two or more decades - but chose to ignore them and push diesels. Crazy, but that's politicians.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-10-2015 at 04:15 PM.