Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,642 Likes on 3,362 Posts
Default 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run open for registration

It's time to begin registering for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run: Doodle: 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run. For those of you who weighed in on the previous poll as well as anyone else, please register!

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-08-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's time to begin registering for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run: Doodle: 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run. For those of you who weighed in on the previous poll as well as anyone else, please register!
Done! Really looking forward to this trip. Upon completion my wife and I will be returning to my ancestral home on Cape Cod to see my Mom for a few days. Quite possibly this could end up the best vacation ever!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Barring any unforeseen acts of God, I will be there on Thursday.

Most likely by myself, but at this time I cannot guarantee that. Driving from TX I really don't have an itinerary other than, drive until I get tired and need to rest... wash, rinse, repeat until I show up in Maine!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Barring any unforeseen acts of God, I will be there on Thursday.

Most likely by myself, but at this time I cannot guarantee that. Driving from TX I really don't have an itinerary other than, drive until I get tired and need to rest... wash, rinse, repeat until I show up in Maine!
Well as you swing through the mid Atlantic area (if your route takes you near I-83 on the Maryland/PA border) on Wednesday or Thursday we have room at our place for you to spend the night before making the final push to Maine and we can always convoy from there. Only a 8.5-9 hour drive from that point on.

The following users liked this post:
TXJagR (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Well as you swing through the mid Atlantic area (if your route takes you near I-83 on the Maryland/PA border) on Wednesday or Thursday we have room at our place for you to spend the night before making the final push to Maine and we can always convoy from there. Only a 8.5-9 hour drive from that point on.
Count me in for the East Coast convoy.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I greatly appreciate the invite. If all goes as tentatively planned I will travelling up I-81 to Harrisburg then east to the ABE (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) area. I have an old friend in the area there where I may spend the night, but, as time gets nearer I will let everyone know. It's still possible I can meet up and drive North from some point around there.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,593 Likes on 857 Posts

All for one and one for all!

Just a reminder - coming from someone who has driven cross country, twice, in an NSX - and rest assured I will do my all to make the end result most enjoyable and memorable:

It's the journey and not [necessarily] the destination.

Looking forward to putting this all together (playing host if you will). More info, including hotel contact information, to follow.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-09-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you again U for compiling this information!

Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Default Updated Itinerary

Greetings all. While I have yet to confirm all of the tentatively scheduled itinerary listed below, much of it has been confirmed.

[re] The Press Hotel: I have secured what I believe to be the best rate possible (if I can improve upon it at a later date, rest assured I will); $239 per night. If booking online please use GROUP CODE: JLRJLRA or you can call Reservation Manager Josef Kijewski directly, and mention the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run, @ 207.808.8723.

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

May (5), 6, 7, 8, 2016

[All details are subject to change until I can confirm the following]

Thursday May 5

· 7:00 PM: Lobster– whole lobster! – dinner at my friend Dana Street’s splendid new place (not yet opened so mum’s the word) Scales.

Friday May 6

· Check into The Press Hotel (unless you’re checking in the day before). http://www.thepresshotel.com/ (they provide valet parking – indoor– although we can park our own if we choose to).

· 4:00-5:00 PM: Meet for drinks in The Inkwell. http://www.thepresshotel.com/the-inkwell

· 5:00 PM: Prose reading by local writer –resident literary genius/friend – Robert Gibbons. http://robertgibbons.net/Publications.html

· 6:00 PM: Short walk to dinner at Paciarino.http://www.paciarino.com/ owned by dear friends, from Milan, Enrico &Fabiana (Prosecco for all! Lobster-themed – such as freshly house-made black long pasta with lobster sauce, lobster ravioli, etc. – authentic Italian dinner).

Saturday May 7

· 7:00/7:15 AM: Meet in lobby of The Press Hotel for drive – approximately 30 minutes - to Topsham, Maine and Blueberries. http://www.facebook.com/blueberriesfood (Blueberry pancakes, cinnamon French toast – with real Maine maple syrup of course – are not the only stars here, so too is the owner and dear friend Drew Victory; although everything is out-of-this-world delicious).

· 9:00 AM: Depart Blueberries for parts north and Owls Head Transportation Museum. http://owlshead.org/ (docent-led tour of an amazing collection of automobiles, art, and historic aircraft).

· 12:00/1:00 PM: catered lunch delivered to Owls Head Transportation Museum from The Brass Compass Café. http://thebrasscompasscafe.com/ (Owner Lynn Archer’s famous Lobster Club bested Bobby Flay’s Throw Down).

· 2:00 PM: Depart Owls Head for short drive to Rockland and The Farnsworth Museum. http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/ (docent-led tour of everything Wyeth; N.C., Andrew, and Jamie). Stunning!

· 4:30/5:00 PM: Depart Farnsworth and head south back to The Press Hotel.

· 7:00/7:30 PM: Dinner at the fabulous Union. http://www.thepresshotel.com/union Executive Chef, and good friend, Josh Berry..well..let’s put it this way, he’s gonna knock it, and you, out of the park!

SundayMay 8

· 8:30 AM: Meet in lobby of the Press Hotel for drive to Jaguar Scarborough. http://www.jaguarme.com/

· 9:00 AM: Enjoy catered breakfast, sponsored by Jaguar Scarborough from St. Joe’s Coffee. http://stjoesyork.com/scarborough/ (home of the Bennie – beignet to you – and serving breakfast sandwiches on their famous house-made biscuits).

· 10:00/10:30 AM: Depart for home and parts unknown.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-09-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Here's how registration stands to date:
6 cars, 10 people arriving on Thursday May 5.
Another car and 2 people arriving on Friday.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

I just booked my hotel room and was able to use my points so it may not show up on the group list. Hope that dent mess up your block. staying the 5th to the 8th.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Here's how registration stands to date:
6 cars, 10 people arriving on Thursday May 5.
Another car and 2 people arriving on Friday.
Well then - and well done U, thank you - for all intents and purposes the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run begins on Thursday, May 5, 2016.

Thursday night we shall all have whole lobsters for dinner (not to worry for those wanting something other than lobster; there will be plenty of other options) and have two thoughts for Thursday day, depending on 1) arrival times and 2) the desires of those arriving on Thursday. (Of course one is free to opt out of any options).

Option one is a walking tour of Portland, Maine (including, for those interested, in a visit to the wonderful, first-rate, Portland Museum of Art). Lunch, coffee - fabulous pizza and amazing coffee across from the Museum - certainly can be included. (Uh, I do that each and every day).

Option two, after I mentioned to U tonight that Saturday morning's drive from Portland on our way to Blueberries for breakfast will include driving through Freeport, and past iconic L.L. Bean - and a splendid back-road with twisties - that perhaps some Forum members would like to stop/shop in L.L. Bean. "Problem" is that there just is no time on Saturday to do so (unless we all go at midnight, or later, since L.L. Bean is open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year). So option two, on Thursday, is a group drive to Freeport for a stop and shop at L.L. Bean (excluding those with convertibles since they won't have any room in their boot...I mean trunk. Truth is, L.L. Bean ships!). Then head back to Portland for dinner. Portland to Freeport is, roughly, a 20 minute drive.

U, perhaps we can take, or add, a poll [re] these two options, unless you - or others - have other thoughts?

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-09-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

So let's say, hypothetically, I finally get one of these cars in March. I certainly won't have it through the break-in by May 5. What do the learned many on this forum say about taking a new car on a long trip like this? OK to do?

Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
So let's say, hypothetically, I finally get one of these cars in March. I certainly won't have it through the break-in by May 5. What do the learned many on this forum say about taking a new car on a long trip like this? OK to do?
Nati, you know that guy named Nike? He says, "Just Do It!"

Seriously though, what better way to get the break in miles out of the way?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Just worried about the peer pressure to push it once the group congregates!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Just worried about the peer pressure to push it once the group congregates!
That I can totally understand. I'm not a speed demon and other than a very few limited times on deserted roads I tend to stay speed limit plus 10 percent. Why do you think its going to take me three days to get from Dallas to Portland? I enjoy driving my car and I need to keep my insurance rates reasonable. (My 18 year old son is also insured to drive the Ftype R on my policy...)

Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps the greatest marketing tag-line of all time! Nati >>> Nike, well done TXJagR.

Not only do I agree with TXJagR, not to worry about pushing the limits and peer pressure. I have that all under control...and under 150 mph. Seriously though, should you decide to come on this journey, I assure you an enjoyable and memorable time with nary (Nati) any concerns. Except, perhaps, over-eating and/or lack of sleep.

Good luck in getting your F-Type.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 12-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Nati, I got mine on May 2 and three weeks later did a 2500 km road trip from Toronto to Washington and back. The car just loafs along at 2K rpm no matter what speed thanks to the wonderful ZF tranny. There are enough occasions like ramps, rest stops, etc. that allow for the revs to vary too. It really is an accelerated break-in. And then your car is broken in!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Good stuff. Thanks guys. Can't commit yet but strongly considering it.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Nati, I got mine on May 2 and three weeks later did a 2500 km road trip from Toronto to Washington and back. The car just loafs along at 2K rpm no matter what speed thanks to the wonderful ZF tranny. There are enough occasions like ramps, rest stops, etc. that allow for the revs to vary too. It really is an accelerated break-in. And then your car is broken in!
+1

Long trips are no problem on a brand new car. Perhaps the most important thing is to vary the rpm. On either auto or manual, that's easy do to by down- and upshifting between 6-7-8 on the auto and 5-6 on the manual while highway cruising.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
buickfunnycar.com (12-10-2015), DuhCar (12-11-2015)

Quick Reply: 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run