F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Drilled rotors for the F Type ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Cross Drilled rotors for the F Type ?

Hi guys,
I'm interested in swapping out the OEM rotors for cross drilled rotors. I think the Cross drilled suits the car better than the stock rotor. But is this advisable to do? Many of you are very knowledgeable and would know the answer. I checked with STOP TECH and also with BREMBO, but could not find replacement rotors which are cross drilled for our car.
Anyone ... ?
Thank you.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Waste of money. Coming from a SCCA/Autocross background...there was no difference in braking when using a blank vs cross drilled rotors.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
Panthro (11-03-2016), SinF (08-17-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

^this, unless you just want it for cosmetic reasons

Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hi guys,
I'm interested in swapping out the OEM rotors for cross drilled rotors. I think the Cross drilled suits the car better than the stock rotor. But is this advisable to do? Many of you are very knowledgeable and would know the answer. I checked with STOP TECH and also with BREMBO, but could not find replacement rotors which are cross drilled for our car.
Anyone ... ?
Thank you.
Contact R1 Concepts in California. They will hook you up. Drilled, cross-drilled, or drilled and slotted. I've had mine for a few months. Having them installed next week.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 AM
Banned
Default Thanks Mike ...

Originally Posted by IronMike
Contact R1 Concepts in California. They will hook you up. Drilled, cross-drilled, or drilled and slotted. I've had mine for a few months. Having them installed next week.
Will you please post some pics of the wheels showing your new cross drilled rotors for us to see. I will contact the company.
Thank you

Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Drilling is for posers.... no offence, of course!

If you want something more and that actually has some credible benefit, go slotted.

These are R1 Concepts Premium Slotted rotors. If there is a blank available from Centric, then R1 can make you this type of rotor.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Waste of money. Coming from a SCCA/Autocross background...there was no difference in braking when using a blank vs cross drilled rotors.
Pedantic correction: Cross drilled rotors are a lot more likely to develop a crack.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's interesting this was brought up
When I test drove the f type this past weekend I felt the rotors need to have holes in them!! lol
Just for the looks of course. Every other car I have drilled rotors, even in a base boxster. It feels like a missed opportunity on the f type especially having such large rotors

I am sure aftermarket will catch up in a few years

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I put cross drilled and slotted rotors on my Jeep Wrangler for looks of course and it does look good. That plus they were not much more than the standard rotors.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
It's interesting this was brought up
When I test drove the f type this past weekend I felt the rotors need to have holes in them!! lol
Just for the looks of course. Every other car I have drilled rotors, even in a base boxster. It feels like a missed opportunity on the f type especially having such large rotors

I am sure aftermarket will catch up in a few years
The Porsche street cars have them, but it's cosmetic. Not sure about now, but pre-carbon/ceramic, their race cars did not use drilled.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Let's just face it

Drilled / slotted rotors make your car look a lot better. Just as painted calipers do.

Do not feel insecure about putting them on your car. There has been debate going on for decades about whether or not to upgrade your rotors, and which is better for street or track, etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, do it for the looks and don't let anyone talk you out of it because they have their feet firmly dug in on how they personally feel about them. If your pads end up staying a bit cooler after heavy braking because of them then consider this a bonus.

I love them and you're right, they are exactly the same price as the oem's.

Should I ever need new rotors, drilled and slotted for sure. A sports car should have them just as much as say - painted calipers or side skirts.

Do you need them, no. Should you have them, yes. I fully agree that like Porsche, AMG, and some M's...Jaguar should have opted for drilled rotors on only their F cars. If for nothing else but to set it apart from the more tame models. Certainly any SVR and R across JLR lines should have also sported custom rotors. This is a very easy way to create separation and the illusion that the car you're upselling offers more performance as part of the big brake bundle.

Don't kid yourself into thinking theres nothing to like about these.

Attached Thumbnails Cross Drilled rotors for the F Type ?-rss-floating-rotor-installed-1.jpg   Cross Drilled rotors for the F Type ?-img-20140703-wa0007.jpg   Cross Drilled rotors for the F Type ?-%24_35.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-17-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Drilled / slotted rotors make your car look a lot better. Just as painted calipers do.

Do not feel insecure about putting them on your car. There has been debate going on for decades about whether or not to upgrade your rotors, and which is better for street or track, etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, do it for the looks and don't let anyone talk you out of it because they have their feet firmly dug in on how they personally feel about them.

Do you need them, no. Should you have them, yes.
Now you're putting your personal preferences on others ;^)

No, you don't need them. Understand why you want them and what they provide and make your own choice.

I fully agree that like Porsche, AMG, and some M's...Jaguar should have opted for drilled rotors on only their F cars. If for nothing else but to set it apart from the more tame models. Certainly any SVR and R across JLR lines should have also sported custom rotors. This is a very easy way to create separation and the illusion that the car you're upselling offers more performance as part of the big brake bundle.

Don't kid yourself into thinking theres nothing to like about these.
I think that Jaguar should have given us some decent calipers. My own hang-up is about sliding yokes. They scream "cheap!" The Boxster has opposed pistons. Heck, Subaru uses them on the STi. Instead, I've got those massive anvils hiding behind the wheel.

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (08-25-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Pedantic correction: Cross drilled rotors are a lot more likely to develop a crack.
+1. Properly done, the holes are cast into the rotor, not drilled.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-17-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
If you want something more and that actually has some credible benefit, go slotted.
+1.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Now you're putting your personal preferences on others ;^)

No, you don't need them. Understand why you want them and what they provide and make your own choice.

I think that Jaguar should have given us some decent calipers. My own hang-up is about sliding yokes. They scream "cheap!" The Boxster has opposed pistons. Heck, Subaru uses them on the STi. Instead, I've got those massive anvils hiding behind the wheel.
I'm not sold that they are useless.

I'm hearing that here, but a lot of companies make and use them that are the best in the industry. The argument that they may crack at a drill hole is true, but so is the argument against low profile tires as easier to damage your rim or that a high revving engine runs hotter. There are inherent trade offs as it relates to owning a sportscar as we all know.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks aside, here's a video on the rotors from engineering perspective

Old 08-18-2016, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Default So the elephant in the room is...

Who among us is EVER going to work the brakes hard enough for any of this matter. NO ONE. Not a one. We are middle aged crisis having, sexy car driving, speed limit observing guys who are scared to use microfiber towels to dry off our cars for fear of a swirl. Just go back and listen to your previous posts. Are you kidding me? I'm speaking to 90% of you. Even for those that do weekend track rendezvous will not notice the "less surface area " of what he speaks. I've ridden cross drilled rotors my entire adult life with nary an inkling of an issue. If you among us are pushing your F hard to the upper 10 percentile on here, this is not pertaining to you.

I find it amazing folks on here are trying to find ways to keep the spoiler from raising due to looks but then at the same time are concerned about drilled rotors.

Those are rally and racing cars in the vid.

We will not be affected either way. Enjoy the rotors.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-18-2016 at 12:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by polarisnavyxj:
Burt Gummer (06-02-2018), Ichi Ban (06-22-2018), ioneabee (08-20-2016), Panthro (11-03-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Who among us is EVER going to work the brakes hard enough for any of this matter. NO ONE.
I do at least couple times per season. Last time I had to pull into pits after getting some fade when going nuts chasing new Shellby.

(I am certain it was my ineptitude, but I had _very_ hard time keeping up)

If I could redo my car now, I'd have put down money on carbon brakes. The car is rather heavy and needs all the stopping power and then some more.

Last edited by SinF; 08-18-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Banned
Default Update ...

Originally Posted by SinF
I do at least couple times per season. Last time I had to pull into pits after getting some fade when going nuts chasing new Shellby.

(I am certain it was my ineptitude, but I had _very_ hard time keeping up)

If I could redo my car now, I'd have put down money on carbon brakes. The car is rather heavy and needs all the stopping power and then some more.
I spoke with a sales rep at STOP TECH located in California. He informed me that the Cross Drilled Rotors for the F Type will be available, come September 2016.
Cheers .

Old 08-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
I spoke with a sales rep at STOP TECH located in California. He informed me that the Cross Drilled Rotors for the F Type will be available, come September 2016.
Cheers .

Did you call R1 Concepts, they have them available already. By available, they make what is needed for your car to order. Usually Ships within 10 days of ordering.
I have found that some of R1's phone assistance is not very knowledgeable... After speaking with 3 different techs who all sounding like high school interns, I did find the James was both helpful, and demonstrated proficient customer service skills.

As indicated in a previous post. I've had mine sitting here on the floor of my office in the original carton since March, just have not got around to getting them mounted, though its looking like that should occur next week.

Last edited by IronMike; 08-18-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled rotors for the F Type ?