F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler Defeat

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spoiler Defeat

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Since the pop-up rear spoiler blocks a great deal of the view rearward, is there a known way to keep it down until it's wanted, even at speeds over 70 mph.?

As best I can tell, the console switch has no effect in trying to put a deployed spoiler down.

It requires at least two things to activate it: a signal (speed) and power to the motor. Seems like either of those circuits could be interrupted by a driver-operated switch.

Thanx, guys.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
I'm sure this has been discussed before. Since the pop-up rear spoiler blocks a great deal of the view rearward, is there a known way to keep it down until it's wanted, even at speeds over 70 mph.?

As best I can tell, the console switch has no effect in trying to put a deployed spoiler down.

It requires at least two things to activate it: a signal (speed) and power to the motor. Seems like either of those circuits could be interrupted by a driver-operated switch.

Thanx, guys.
Attached may help.

Attached Files
Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,260 Likes on 2,406 Posts

See this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-ftype-121672/
and particularly the last post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...7/#post1614196
Works perfectly on the coupe, dunno about the vert.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Out of interest, has anyone noticed any handling differences since defeating the spoiler?

I'm talking about speeds higher than say, 70mph?

Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Out of interest, has anyone noticed any handling differences since defeating the spoiler?

+1. Like around 196?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
It must be producing what - 25 pounds of downforce on a 3500 pound car at 80 MPH - but I swear that the car feels better with the wing up. I often speed up to 72 to get the wing up and then slow down enough to avoid tickets....

Old 02-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

... however it is FUGLY.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
It must be producing what - 25 pounds of downforce on a 3500 pound car at 80 MPH
This is a spoiler, so it doesn't produce downforce; rather it reduces lift. Similar property of aerodynamics, but it's not as linear of an increase compared to a wing which provides downforce.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This is a spoiler, so it doesn't produce downforce; rather it reduces lift. Similar property of aerodynamics, but it's not as linear of an increase compared to a wing which provides downforce.
+1

Old 02-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Tel

I beg to differ; A flat plate (in essence what we have on the F-Type Coupe) angled up in the airflow will produce a downward force.

Air is being deflected upwards, so the resulting force will be downwards...correct?

It must be producing what - 25 pounds of downforce on a 3500 pound car at 80 MPH

Try holding a flat plate of equal size out of the window at 80 MPH at a similar angle; I thin you will be surprised by the amount of force it will put on your arms!

Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
I beg to differ; A flat plate (in essence what we have on the F-Type Coupe) angled up in the airflow will produce a downward force.

Air is being deflected upwards, so the resulting force will be downwards...correct?
Nope... the spoiler pops up to defeat the low pressure zone created by the air moving over top of the car. That low pressure zone is pulling the car upwards and creating lift towards the rear of the vehicle. When the spoiler deploys, the low pressure zone is reduced and the lifting force disappears to some extent, however there isn't any additional force pushing downwards on the vehicle outside of gravity. This is exactly how an airplane wing works.

A wing on the other hand creates a low pressure zone on purpose which actually pulls the wing downwards towards the ground. And since the wing is attached to the car, the whole vehicle is forced downwards in relation to the wing. This downforce increases the weight of the vehicle pushing down on the track. This is why forumula 1 cars actually handle worse at slow speeds compared to high speeds; because they need the downforce.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind the flat plate of the spoiler isn't out in the open air. So it reacts completely differently. Some air hits it, yes but it's more used to hold a pocket of high pressure than it is to create any sort of drag that might push downwards.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Tel

Apologies to abstruse1 for wandering off the topic, but I'm sure others find this interesting as well...

Keep in mind the flat plate of the spoiler isn't out in the open air. So it reacts completely differently. Some air hits it, yes but it's more used to hold a pocket of high pressure than it is to create any sort of drag that might push downwards.

OK, I follow that, I wasn't respecting that the cars' section is actually an aerofoil shape in itself.

So, we are effectively deploying an air-brake as one would on a conventional aircraft, to 'spoil' the laminar'ish airflow over it and thus dumping lift (in turn lowering the low pressure area behind, and above/rear of the car)...correct now?!

Old 02-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
It must be producing what - 25 pounds of downforce on a 3500 pound car at 80 MPH - but I swear that the car feels better with the wing up. I often speed up to 72 to get the wing up and then slow down enough to avoid tickets....
It's probably more like 60 lbs at 80mph (264lbs @ 186mph).

Edit: 48.83802 lbs @ 80mph

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-21-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
OK, I follow that, I wasn't respecting that the cars' section is actually an aerofoil shape in itself.

So, we are effectively deploying an air-brake as one would on a conventional aircraft, to 'spoil' the laminar'ish airflow over it and thus dumping lift (in turn lowering the low pressure area behind, and above/rear of the car)...correct now?!
Yup, that's basically the idea. Design is pretty important to minimize drag while its up, which is why the coupe and the convertible have completely different designs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
CRS 123 (02-21-2017), Tel (02-21-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Well, I succeeded in selectively disabling the spoiler. After spending a lot of time at the fuse box in the driver's footwell, I realized that I couldn't much hope to find the correct wire, especially since access is so bad. So I interrupted the opening power wire at the spoiler motor with a rocker switch mounted in the trunk lid. Pretty easy to do once one's figured out how to remove the various panels.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:22 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Well, I succeeded in selectively disabling the spoiler. After spending a lot of time at the fuse box in the driver's footwell, I realized that I couldn't much hope to find the correct wire, especially since access is so bad. So I interrupted the opening power wire at the spoiler motor with a rocker switch mounted in the trunk lid. Pretty easy to do once one's figured out how to remove the various panels.

Just don't go over 83.4MPH....

Old 02-24-2017, 06:28 AM

Oh, never. Especially in a school zone.

I was running at the Texas Mile a few years back (my best run was 195.5 mph in a Mustang, ~1,300 hp.) and a Nissan GT wadded up at the end. Talk was that they had removed the rear spoiler for a few more mph and the car traded ends. Not fun at near 200 mph.

So nothing over...well...