F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Throwing in the towel

So, I haven't posted much here recently but in some of my posts I have eluded to some ongoing problems I've been having with my R coupe for quite some time now.

This weekend, the recurring problem I've been having came back for the 4th time so this morning I contacted Jaguar NA and initiated the buyback process. I've had this car for 10 months now and with all the service visits, it has been in the shop for almost 4 of those months.

Haven't decided yet if I will get another F-type or if I will switch to the AMG GT. I have a deposit on a custom-ordered GT but it won't be here for several more months and I can back out at any time.

Just curious to what others would do in my shoes - would you try your luck with another F or would you jump ship?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
So, I haven't posted much here recently but in some of my posts I have eluded to some ongoing problems I've been having with my R coupe for quite some time now.

This weekend, the recurring problem I've been having came back for the 4th time so this morning I contacted Jaguar NA and initiated the buyback process. I've had this car for 10 months now and with all the service visits, it has been in the shop for almost 4 of those months.

Haven't decided yet if I will get another F-type or if I will switch to the AMG GT. I have a deposit on a custom-ordered GT but it won't be here for several more months and I can back out at any time.

Just curious to what others would do in my shoes - would you try your luck with another F or would you jump ship?
Sometimes a lemon is a lemon, and it sounds like this is what you have with a recurring problem. If by some chance they buy your car back, and replace, it is truly a great vehicle. Does it have it's problems...., well in pockets. Despite the few problems that I have incurred, nothing makes me feel that I made the wrong purchase. I LOVE THIS CAR, and am working comfortably with Jaguar NA to sort out my "comparatively" minimal problems on my set of wheels. Again, your problem seems to be recurring, not fixed after multiple tries and Jaguar should look to take this back, rip it apart and learn from it for the good of future models/engineering and customer satisfaction. You on the other hand, should be afforded the excellent experience that most of us have had, and have an "F" type that is 99/1 rule awesome and meeting your expectations quality wise.

I almost let my "mini issues" ruin my experience, but when I took a deep breath, I worked to get them sorted out, am in process in doing so, and will get them resolved. Don't think I could say "don't let that happen to you". The issues you talk about seem much more material compared to mine, and therefore don't lose hope in the "F" type.....yours sounds like a lemon from what you write, and hopefully this lemon turns into something sweet with a well functioning "F" type.

God Luck, and another mans perspective. Who knows what right or wrong is, and it is all about taste and stress reduction at this point for you.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

If you like the looks of the AMG GT I'd go that route instead of another F-Type. But I am a "variety is the spice of life" kind of guy, so I always like to try new cars out and haven't found a car that I love so much that I would not want to try others out.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the F-Type.

I had many problems with a BMW Z4M in 2006. BMW took the car back and replaced it with another 2006 BMW Z4M at no cost to me. The second Z4M was flawless.

I wanted a 2 seat roadster. There was nothing else I liked in 2006. I'm glad I got a replacement instead of abandoning BMW.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek

Is this related to the paint issue with the rocker seams? or something else.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I have been looking at the AMG-GTS as well. Shame the waitlist is so long.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

While I like to simplify things, I also don't want to over simplify your situation. I might make a plus/minus column. While in your possession did it provide you with more pleasure than the pain when you didn't have it (and whatever was wrong wasn't being fixed to your satisfaction?).

I'm a professional commodity broker and simply try to play the odds and by my reckoning the odds of your having another F-Type with the sort of, presumably serious, problems/issues seems quite low to me.

My 2-cents...on a $100,000 vehicle.

Good luck!
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
Is this related to the paint issue with the rocker seams? or something else.
No, the paint issue was resolved back in September and after a few tries it has not reoccurred.

The issue I am having is that I get the error message "Special modes unavailable" when trying to enable dynamic mode. When this occurs, the power steering is also disabled, I am unable to dim/brighten the illumination level of the dash, and unable to open the rear hatch. While they seem unrelated all of these functions are controlled by the same computer apparently.

Dealer has replaced power steering, wiring harness and main computer twice. Last visit they re-crimped every connector on the wiring harness and it was good for 3 weeks and then came back this weekend. This is now their 4th attempt at fixing it. Add in the 3 tries it took for the paint, plus two other service visits and that makes 9 visits since I've owned the car and haven't even had the oil changed yet (5700 miles on the car)

I don't love the exterior of the GT but I do think the interior is much better than the f-type.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 177 Likes on 49 Posts

Go for the AMG-GT. You're right about the exterior being less than that of the F-type but the interior and tech is far ahead. That and the Merc is faster too. Speaking from experience of owning Merc and Jaguar, you will enjoy the ownership experience of the Merc more.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Special modes

I had that warming after my abs module was replaced. Seems it was a Land Rover part and the harness had an extra pin that needed to be removed to function properly. In "fixing" this the whole computer needed a re flash as I had that warning right after they fixed my brake issue

Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Another_Geek,

My experience with the F-Type could not possibly be more different than yours, and I don't have a single gripe about it, which is saying a lot. I can't say that about more than 3 or 4 cars of the many vehicles I've owned. I've never sweated the little things that really didn't affect the driving experience, but with my F-Type I haven't found a single reason to take it back to the dealer for anything no matter how minor.

However, if I had experienced the number of headaches you have experienced, I'd definitely be throwing in the towel. I wouldn't be willing to take a 2nd chance.

I think the AMG-GT is a very good choice.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

I would let them buy it back. As for picking another car, the QC at Mercedes isn't any better than Jaguar. I took my Mercedes in to fix a door rattle when it was two weeks old, and again at six months, then the other side at about 12 months and four or five more times from side to side until they finally used some "special thread locker" in about year three. Also replaced two CD changers, one driver's door frame, valve cover gaskets twice, glove box door twice, miscellaneous broken trim, convertible top limit switch, un-fixable retractable roll bar problems, leaking top seals..All cars have problems.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Yep, it's not a Jaguar thing and happens with all makes. However, when you have an experience that bad, it's hard to go back right away. I've also had 2 buy-backs under the lemon law, and I was in no mood to go with the same car right away, but time does heal.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Another_Geek,

However, if I had experienced the number of headaches you have experienced, I'd definitely be throwing in the towel. I wouldn't be willing to take a 2nd chance.
I'm mostly with Foosh on this with a little different slant. If you sell back to Jaguar and get another F-Type, how would you feel if you had one or two smaller issues with the new one? Would you be kicking yourself that you made a dumb decision? There's a certainly a possibility that you may have a few issues with a new F-Type (unlike Foosh) based on Forum owners experience. Sure that would be expected on any new car regardless of brand, but after this experience? Think about it.

The Forum may be the best place to try to evaluate this. I don't know if Karesh has enough data to be of much use yet.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 PM

For clarification, I've been on these forums for many years now and am familiar with the pros/cons of Jaguar and the f-type. I am also aware of that no car will ever be perfect. I've owned more than 50 cars in my lifetime and worked in the auto industry for more than a decade in a previous lifetime. As my sig indicates, I am also a current MB owner so I am also familiar with the MB experience. I agree that the likelyhood of getting another lemon is fairly unlikely, but not impossible, so I am open to either car being considered.

Another option I have considered is to get both cars. When I placed the order for the AMG GT, I considered keeping the F-type and trading in the XJ for it. I originally placed the order the last time I had issues with the F-type, so this is something that I have been debating for several months now. Anyways, per Jaguar, the buyback process takes 30 days before they make a decision to buy back the car, so I have a month to make up my mind on what I want to do.

Last edited by another_geek; 05-18-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I have been looking at the AMG-GTS as well. Shame the waitlist is so long.
No wait list. Local dealer has one they're ready to sell me. And if I want a custom order they say I can have one in 3 months.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Had zero issues with AMG SLK55 and only one issue with F TYPE. Have had 15 issues with Ghibli but only one not software. Had to have buy back on LR3 and then only had one issue on RR Sport. Everybody's experience is different. Dealer makes huge difference as my Maserati dealer has made the best of the situation. Land Rover left bad taste,even as dealer did best, and would probably never buy another! I'm sure GT will have some teething issues but it is an evolution so they will be minor, and you know engine will be great, it's AMG!

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:40 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, it's not a Jaguar thing and happens with all makes. However, when you have an experience that bad, it's hard to go back right away. I've also had 2 buy-backs under the lemon law, and I was in no mood to go with the same car right away, but time does heal.
Totally with you that problems occur with all cars. What I've found though is Jaguar is undeniably worse than any other maker I've experienced in managing the issue in a satisfying way.

As others say; variety is the spice. But I'd move on if I had your opportunity. Jaguar has sucked all the emotional pleasure of ownership in my case and others. I've been looking at the 4C, Evora 400 as potentials. AMG looks like a bargain. I'd love a used McLaren. Also interested in the new NSX which is a technical marvel.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Totally with you that problems occur with all cars. What I've found though is Jaguar is undeniably worse than any other maker I've experienced in managing the issue in a satisfying way.

As others say; variety is the spice. But I'd move on if I had your opportunity. Jaguar has sucked all the emotional pleasure of ownership in my case and others. I've been looking at the 4C, Evora 400 as potentials. AMG looks like a bargain. I'd love a used McLaren. Also interested in the new NSX which is a technical marvel.
Awful that it's come to that. Strong [negative] feelings indeed and hard to ignore. So regardless of whether this one or that one (of us) hasn't had any issues or problems with their F-Type, the fact that you have, do, and with Jaguar clearly not stepping up to the plate, why wouldn't you, or anyone experiencing much the same, "change teams"? (keeping the baseball analogy going). Can't say that I blame you...and coming from 2 NSX's, would love to hear and learn more about the new one. P.S. From my personal experience, I can tell you Acura truly cares about it's customers (if I get the chance later today I will PM you mawheele).

Good luck...to us all!

Best regards,
Jay

Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I promise you Maserati is worse. I'm lucky as I have a long term Ferrari dealer, most Ghibli owners are dealing with Chrysler dealers that added Maserati. My Jag dealer is a long term dealer and the local Porsche dealer. They also own 2 large Ford dealers. I think having experienced dealers make a big difference. No matter how rich they are they still won't due anything they don't believe they will get paid for. I have a good friend who is a retired Nissan GM and he say it take dealers months to get paid for incentives and warranty service while they are expected to pay for parts monthly. And they don't get their volume and hold backs till the end of the selling year. They are blackmailed into buying certain models to get other models for stock. While we should have no tears for wealthy car dealers it is a business like any other. If it was easy we'd all do it!

Quick Reply: Throwing in the towel