General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes...read ALL cars till included jaguar

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACI-...761134416.html

Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You CAN NOT update...its autoenginuity v.10...but it works

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Thanks. Weird that aliexpress failed to list it for me!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, after reading 29 pages of this, I'm thoroughly confused. Are these newer Chinese "Mangoose" and "Mangoose Pro" clones of the Drew Mongoose any safer than the ones from a few years back when this thread started, or are they still bricking cars? The ones I see online seem to come with V145 of SDD, but apparently versions post 137 won't work in "offline" mode? If so, are the later versions good for anything other than diagnostics? Will these interfaces, with either an older or v145 of SDD allow you to program keyfobs (either the buttons or the chips) for a 2005 S-Type? Thanks if anyone can offer answers!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicland
Okay, after reading 29 pages of this, I'm thoroughly confused. Are these newer Chinese "Mangoose" and "Mangoose Pro" clones of the Drew Mongoose any safer than the ones from a few years back when this thread started, or are they still bricking cars? The ones I see online seem to come with V145 of SDD, but apparently versions post 137 won't work in "offline" mode? If so, are the later versions good for anything other than diagnostics? Will these interfaces, with either an older or v145 of SDD allow you to program keyfobs (either the buttons or the chips) for a 2005 S-Type? Thanks if anyone can offer answers!
Only legit Mongoose units from Drew Technologies is the way to go. You can try Mangoose but don't try to config modules with them.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sorry, but I have to contradict.
I have been buying Mongoose clone cables since 2014 (now around 11) and each of them worked fine so far.
I have been screening DTCs but also programmed keys out of and into the safety module in a X308 and a X400. Even new keys could be programmed into a X400 so far. I will try this with my X308 this year too.
I also added a new instrument cluster (odometer) into a X400 when it had been immobilized by the change of the odometer.
All of this had been done in the JLR 130 in XP Pro SP3 on a Acer Netbook.

I once opended both - the original Mongoose Pro and the clone.
From the components being used there was no difference - might just be the programming.

But you have always to be aware what you are doing there.
Writing code into control modules is always a risk - power loss, loosened plugs. Always double check your arrangement.

cheers
André

Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Asgarond,
You may have been lucky upt o now.
Clones may work very well ... until they do not anymore. And that will be at the worst moment, in the middle of an important reprog of course!
Up to my knowledge, there have been no failures reported with a genuine VCM while there have been numerous with cloned Mongooses. Even genuine MongoosePro may have difficulties to communicate with the car for some tricky reprogs.
Have a look here, just one example:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...aution-164675/
Cambo knows much more about it and he may chime in.
Bur everyone does as he wants...

Old 02-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

It's seldom the hardware that fails on the mongoose. It's the hacked software that causes most problems

Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

For me, no harm, no foul. I use a genuine VCM and genuine IDS/SDD software platforms. I've heard stories of mostly software glitches (ie.. Hacked versions) but also hardware failures.. I think PCB's going. It's called a "clone" for a reason...

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (02-26-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

asgarond, why have you bought 11 clones? Are you reselling them?

As for clones failing, I had three clones, all of them ended up in the bin, two with a complete hardware failure; completely dead. The third one had a probem with the ISO bus, no comms on the ISO network at all. That caused a problem believe me.

Since I woke up and switched to genuine VCM's, I have one interesting observation.

Flashing a PCM with a clone Mongoose used to take ages, like 15 minutes or longer, with the genuine VCM it's done in 90 seconds. Same for a TCM, sometimes 30 minutes to flash with a clone Mongoose, with the VCM it's a few minutes at most.

That tells me that the clones aren't doing it right...

Old 02-12-2017, 04:50 AM

So reading all this about your problems so far I do understand now your attitudes towards the clones.

My ones however worked fine and fast whenever I used them. I started myself with one and did this and that very carefully and sometimes with my heart beating a bit stronger. Then I started with the second netbook as a spare, and sold that to a friend of my forums in Germany.
Then others came and wanted one, which I tested on my own car first every time.
And so I sold about 8 diagnose units within the last 2 years. It's nothing to earn Money as the complete unit is below 200€, but I would like every-one to be able to do his own diagnosis with correct DTCs.

Something to add:
Whenever I did some programming on modules I always had the Netbook with the JLR connected to power, and the vehicle battery connected to another battery which was connected to a charger. So that power loss could never be the reason for a failure.

cheers
André

Last edited by asgarond; 02-12-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ednedwards
Just purchased the mongoose pro clone from China a few weeks ago and have yet to get it to recognize my two vehicles. 2003 STR and 2001 XKR. I used the discs supplied with the cable, the toolbox and the drivers. The computer sees the jlr and says everything is fine. I tried an installment of sdd v130 and v134, neither of them seeing the vehicle. I was able to access ids in both and both saw the cable. But no vehicle. The only possibility that I've come across is the clone is fried or damaged. My wife did use my laptop while I was away and turned on the Internet but the cable was not connected at the time and sdd was not updated. Could an update have been downloaded without knowing and when I updated the firmware iffline suggested when I plugged the adapter in it damaged it? Not sure how it could be damaged if the computer can still see it...
I know this a late follow up on my issue but I did resolve it. The plug was upside down as in when they put the mangoose together they situated it in the wrong direction.. I noticed the mangoose was getting a low voltage reading (under 3 volts) from the car so decided to troubleshoot.. Took the casing apart and plugged it in upside down from what it was originally. Winner winner chicken dinner! I doubt this is common but I'm sure someone has returned theirs and that's all it was. Btw there are some pro clones that don't crap out after the mongoose update. Read this a while back when troubleshooting and I applied almost every driver update to the device and in the end it worked...

My issue now is with the adaption drive cycle. I cleared my adaptations and did a tcm and ecm update via the reconfigure existing module. I have not found any other issues programming with the mangoose pro besides this. Everything seemed to work with only some normal codes that most report having due to codes stored. I took the car out with the laptop in the passenger seat and tried to complete the adaption drive cycle (car has 109k miles) and it just stayed on the first screen after you click the tick to start it. Transmission was within temperature (100 degrees F). Curious if it notices the missing passenger and that is why it would not run the drive cycle. Btw, the car is a 03 str and has the common surge but goes away after warm up. Almost certain it just needs the drive cycle to fix the cold surges after 3rd gear.

My current setup is windows xp pro sp3, ie8, Adobe 6, Java 6, a mangoose pro with mongoose pro drivers, and jlr ids v131.. Maybe I'm missing something with my setup but just odd only having issues with the adaption drive cycle. Possibly an issue using a pro with v131 on a 2003..

Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
asgarond, why have you bought 11 clones? Are you reselling them?

As for clones failing, I had three clones, all of them ended up in the bin, two with a complete hardware failure; completely dead. The third one had a probem with the ISO bus, no comms on the ISO network at all. That caused a problem believe me.

Since I woke up and switched to genuine VCM's, I have one interesting observation.

Flashing a PCM with a clone Mongoose used to take ages, like 15 minutes or longer, with the genuine VCM it's done in 90 seconds. Same for a TCM, sometimes 30 minutes to flash with a clone Mongoose, with the VCM it's a few minutes at most.

That tells me that the clones aren't doing it right...
Supposedly the mangoose pro is faster and trust me I have flashed my tcm and pcm many times. After the car battery dying and having my laptop die I have been either good or lucky to revive it every time. I've done at least a dozen of those. And my nerves were on edge on every occasion. It's never taken longer than 10 minutes to flash and most of the time is under 5 minutes. I get a lot of ppl have had issues with mangoose but it seems the software setup is most important. Maybe the pro clone is the better way to go.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Supposedly the mangoose pro is faster and trust me I have flashed my tcm and pcm many times. After the car battery dying and having my laptop die I have been either good or lucky to revive it every time. I've done at least a dozen of those. And my nerves were on edge on every occasion. It's never taken longer than 10 minutes to flash and most of the time is under 5 minutes. I get a lot of ppl have had issues with mangoose but it seems the software setup is most important. Maybe the pro clone is the better way to go.
You are very lucky that the TCM or ECM reflash worked and were carried out swiftly, as I understand that you did not put a stabilised power supply to maintain high voltage (13.6V) during the process.
I would not do that.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 AM

I would not do that.
*sign

It's for the vehicle battery as well as for the netbook battery.
When programming I always use a power cord.

Cheers
André

Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
You are very lucky that the TCM or ECM reflash worked and were carried out swiftly, as I understand that you did not put a stabilised power supply to maintain high voltage (13.6V) during the process.
I would not do that.
I actually did. First time I used a battery maintain unit which only put out a low 3amp and of course that isn't efficient enough. Another charging unit was purchased with 3 settings (15amps/3amps/maintain). While completing the pcm update the battery would below the recommended 12.7v and then would give me a error on the reconfiguration of the pcm when I had the first charging unit.. The second unit worked great but when it would charge the battery to 100% it kicked down to a maintain level of amps..

I'm not saying that this is always fixable, but if you have a good cable (whether a clone or real mongoose) is to follow the proper steps as if you were replacing the pcm. My biggest concern will always be battery volts. Even after buying the ids v131 software, mangoose pro cable, and battery charger I still was around $100. Programmed a couple fobs I added last week and that payed for itself.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by gillissen
Yes...read ALL cars till included jaguar

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACI-...761134416.html
Would love to know if I could reset base idle adaptations on a 96 XJS with this device. If it's Autoenginuity v10, it should work...

Old 03-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

I actually did. First time I used a battery maintain unit which only put out a low 3amp and of course that isn't efficient enough. Another charging unit was purchased with 3 settings (15amps/3amps/maintain). While completing the pcm update the battery would below the recommended 12.7v and then would give me a error on the reconfiguration of the pcm when I had the first charging unit.. The second unit worked great but when it would charge the battery to 100% it kicked down to a maintain level of amps..

I'm not saying that this is always fixable, but if you have a good cable (whether a clone or real mongoose) is to follow the proper steps as if you were replacing the pcm. My biggest concern will always be battery volts. Even after buying the ids v131 software, mangoose pro cable, and battery charger I still was around $100. Programmed a couple fobs I added last week and that payed for itself.

A stabilised power supply should be minimum 30 Amps continuous for the X350, and 13.6 Volts "stable".
A standard battery charger does not stabilise voltage, it doesn't fit.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
Would love to know if I could reset base idle adaptations on a 96 XJS with this device. If it's Autoenginuity v10, it should work...
I doubt very much.
You need a genuine IDS/VCM at the very least (not even sure this works), not to say the period WDS/PDU

Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
I doubt very much.
You need a genuine IDS/VCM at the very least (not even sure this works), not to say the period WDS/PDU
I think I'm giving up on an IDS to provide this, although I have read that doing the oxygen sensor reorientation protocol will reset the adaptations. I have to check this out.

I do own an IDS, but the version I had on CD (from British Diagnostics) was never able to connect to my XJS. They sent me several others, via download link, but now my laptop is dead. I have a new (old) laptop, running Windows XP Pro, but I can't restore any of the old IDS versions.

Does anyone have v130 available to share? I think that was the one that worked. I am pretty sure v134 did not work.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool