General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

To Do List

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Do List

My old jag's got a lot of little issues, and a few big ones, so I thought I would list them here, and see what someone says about what.

Little things:

1. Insulation is hanging loose from under the hood. Looks like it was held on by a few big knobs, but it's clearly worn away from them. I guess I need to tape or glue it on, or should I just pull it off? I've never seen insulation under any of my other cars.

2. The brake light in the rear window is coming loose. Easy enough I guess just glue it on.

3. Lost a piece of metal trim from the door. It's bent, and doesn't look so good, so thought I would replace it. Should be easy enough. Maybe use the same glue I get for the light.

4. For some strange reason, the brake and gas pedal are missing their covers; just metal now. Not sure what happened there. Not sure what they're called, brake covers? and wondering if they're all the same size or will I need special for jag?

5. Grease stains on the interior upholstery top of car. Doesn't look so good on a tan color. Stain remover? Dye or replace?

6. Passenger door won't open from outside. I think of it as added security. I'm seriously thinking of removing the door panel and seeing if a part is broken, then I could replace the part and fix it myself. I was also thinking, if I have to, I would take off the panel on the driver side to compare a good working handle to a broken one.

Big issues:
1. Radio still not working. I've replaced the fuses, and I've tried pushing the volume button, which is how it turns on, but nothing. Yes, and in that order. lol I'm thinking when I can, I'll buy one on ebay, and if it works, great, and if not, I'll have a spare radio laying around. Cannot drive without music. Oh, I found what I think is a fuse tester in the console. Will give it a go.

2. The battery keeps running down, so I have to keep the positive unhooked. I've come to realize this isn't uncommon. I've tried starting the car and unhooking the battery; it still runs well, so not the alternator? I'm thinking when I can, I'll have someone run a switch from the battery under the dash; much easier. A switch cost about $50 I've learned from reading here. I don't think I can do it myself. I've watched a few utube videos, and I get lost with the lingo. Not an electrician obviously.

Maybe the same person can fix the radio.

3. Brakes need some work. I found a two new boxes with brake pads in them in the trunk. My son had been meaning to get around to it. My son in law says I need struts. Not sure what a strut is or how important they are. Does each wheel have a strut? Does it have something to do with shocks? I have a feeling this brake stuff will be pricy. If I take the car to a brake place with the parts will I get a brake? Hope so.

Should also add I've changed the fluids in a car before, and a few tires in my life.

Last edited by Venus911; 08-09-2016 at 12:21 PM.