New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Under 18 and Looking at Jaguars

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under 18 and Looking at Jaguars

I have been looking at buying myself a luxury sedan for my first real car. I have had experience driving a Camry that is owned by my parents but I would like to step it up and go for luxury. I have looked at BMWS's (lots of kids have them), Audis, and Mercedes. However, they all look the same and they are a familiar face to see. I have been always been intrigued by the prestige of a Jaguar and I am quite fond of the XK and XF. I do have a 20,000 budget where I pay half of the car. I would like to know how realistic is it owning a jag in terms of maintenance costs including insurance. I know many people bought them far over the age of 18 but any idea is appreciated. While I do love XK's and XF's, I would also be willing to consider an X-Type. Thanks in advance to any advice given.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Sinistar,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Here in the UK, insurance would be the limiting factor on model choice under 25 years of age but things are likely to be different in CA.

Maintenance will be high unless you are 'hands on'. Parts costs often come as a shock even to those of us who have owned and driven Jaguars for decades.

Is a used Jaguar a sensible choice anyone under eighteen? Approached in the right way it's a definite YES. Approached in the wrong way and you could end up out of pocket and disillusioned. We have a number of members sixteen to eighteen years old. The usual first model for them has been X-Type but your budget does allow you wider choice.

The important consideration with any used Jaguar is history. A well maintained example of any model is a pleasure to own and drive; a neglected example can be a money pit. Put the shining paint and leather interior out of your mind and check everything works on a potential purchase. Apparently minor electrical faults can often turn out to be costly to repair. The biggest issue we get on the forum with new owners is replacing missing keys and remotes. Keys are very expensive to replace and program so make sure there's two master keys and two remotes.

Supercharged will be a temptation - normally aspirated will be more reliable.

The FAQ's at the top of each model forum will give you an idea of regular issues.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link US Western - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the search for the right Jaguar and enjoy the forums.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 03-20-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

welcome to the forum - Graham has provided some excellent points so good luck in your search and enjoy!!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:15 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Welcome.

I did it, and I was/am 100% hands on.

Graham has covered all I could have said.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

At eighteen, insurance is going to be a huge factor in the operating costs of ANY car and, the more expensive the car, the higher it's going to be. That said, Graham's advice is spot on. Follow it to the letter and you won't go wrong. Good luck!

Dwayne

Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,955 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Under 18 and a $20,000 budget: Where did I go wrong!?
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Sinistar,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

If I were dictator, all teenagers would have to get their first car the same way I did. My father towed home a wrecked car that he bought off one of his coworkers and said "Son, if you can fix it, you can drive it." Then he told me to go to the library, check out a Chilton's manual and other relevant texts and get to work. Wasn't anything really cool, just a late model Civic, but that early success started a lifelong love affair with all things mechanical. Within months I had graduated up to a vintage Mustang and then a late model Mercury Capri RS.

None of my high school classmates had any idea what happens under the hood of their car. To this day, if their cars break down, they're totally at the mercy of a mechanic who can literally charge them any amount they want. They're unlikely to take it somewhere else for a second opinion because they are in a hurry to get their car back and so they get taken to the cleaners nearly every time.

At your age, and having $20,000 budgeted, I'd say go buy yourself the nicest, lowest mileage XK8 you can find for around $10,000 (or an X-type even cheaper). Keep the other $10,000 set aside for parts and tools (don't blow it on spring break) and just fix it yourself whenever it needs work (I had to use books, you've got the Internet!). The $10,000 your invest in tools and especially education will save you tens of thousands of dollars over your lifetime and possibly even become a lifelong hobby far more rewarding than fishing or golf.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Look at the Lincoln LS's as well. Jag 'S' type dressed up as a Lincoln. Doesn't look wonky and performs well with the Jag 3.9l V8.

Insurance is the killer. One ticket and you're screwed. My son waited until he was 18 to get his licence and has been fortunate enough to not get in trouble with the law. His insurance is @ $40 per month.