S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 S-Type 3.0 Won't Start. Maybe Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2000 S-Type 3.0 Won't Start. Maybe Fuel Issue?

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum so be gentle! Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone here could help me trouble shoot an issue.

I recently became the owner of a 2000 S-Type 3.0. Mostly because it was taking up room at my dad's place so he sent it to me. For the most part the car is in pretty good condition. However, it wont start.

My dad kept it in his garage for nearly a year and when it came time to move it ...well...didn't move. He thought it was the battery so he replaced it with a new one. It would turn over fine but just wouldn't fire up. He figured the fuel was low so he added fuel. Still nothing.

Once I got the car I started to do a little research and try to trouble shoot. I know that apparently these cars tend to suffer from fuel delivery problems if left sitting for too long so I did the following trouble shoot procedures based on my research:

1. I removed the rear seat cushion and the rubber covering to reveal the fuel pump I then had someone turn the key in the ignition and listened for the "whoosh" sound of the fuel pump. There was no sound.

2. Since there was no sound I thought perhaps the fuel pump wasn't getting power. In my research I kept seeing that the fuel pump relay tends to go out after sitting for a while so I replaced it with a new relay from my local dealer. The issue remained. Turns over but no start.

3. I read that fuses #17 (in the trunk), #4 and #20 (in the most irritating passenger side fuel-panel in the world) were all fuel pump related so I replaced all of those as well. The issue remained. Turns over but no start.

This brings me to my question. Something else that came up in my research mentioned that there could be air in the fuel lines and that the "Schrader valve" could be opened and that would help clear that out.

The only problem is I have no idea where the Schrader valve is on my particular car or what it looks like.

I've googled and search but I can't find anything that tells me where the Schrader valve is on a 2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0.

Is there anyone here that could help me out with this? I'd really like to eliminate this potential problem before I plunk down a significant chunk of change for a new fuel pump.

Any guidance/help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Did you check the inertia switch? If it accidentally had been triggered (somehow) it cuts power to the fuel pump. Check your manual for exact location.

Schrader valve is under the hood near the fuel rail, I believe its up front on the rail, but not positive.

The following users liked this post:
AndyZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

This link will show you where the Schrader valve is located.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link to SType from my page JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link to onelines and OBDII codes JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following 3 users liked this post by Gus:
AndyZ (11-06-2015), jaidank (01-27-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Did you check the inertia switch? If it accidentally had been triggered (somehow) it cuts power to the fuel pump. Check your manual for exact location.

Schrader valve is under the hood near the fuel rail, I believe its up front on the rail, but not positive.

I forgot to mention in the original post but yes I checked the inertia switch as well and it had not been tripped.

Something else I noticed which I forgot to mention is that when turning the key to try and start the car the needle on the fuel gauge goes down to E but then will return to where it previously was after a few seconds.

I am not sure if this is normal or not since I've never owned a Jag but it was weird to me so I figured it is worth mentioning.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
This link will show you where the Schrader valve is located.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link to SType from my page JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link to onelines and OBDII codes JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Thanks Gus!!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

probably bad fuel pump. check wire for power at pump

The following 2 users liked this post by MyBlackCat:
AndyZ (11-23-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

...and you've confirmed that the fuel tank has gas, correct?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
...and you've confirmed that the fuel tank has gas, correct?
Yes, as mentioned in the first post before the car was brought home my dad added fuel...

Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyZ
Yes, as mentioned in the first post before the car was brought home my dad added fuel...
Yep. There it is in post #1. Sorry, I missed it.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
probably bad fuel pump. check wire for power at pump
+1 here... If you have at least 10.5V at the fuel pump harness the fuel pump is indeed bad and needs to be replaced.

These pumps are known to crap out when the car sits for a long time...

The following users liked this post:
AndyZ (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Hey everyone I just wanted to update this thread to say that I finally traced the problem to a bad fuel pump. I bought a new pump, installed it myself, and I am happy to say the car starts up just fine now.

Although a few new smaller issues have popped up I can at least say the thing starts and drives now. Thanks to everyone for their help!

The following 4 users liked this post by AndyZ:
abonano (11-23-2015), barcheta (11-24-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-24-2015), Mikey (11-23-2015)