S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-Type R Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S-Type R Reliability

I'm on the market for a daily driver and have always liked the looks of the S-Types but as someone who's always driven powerful vehicles need something with a little "umph" behind it.

I found a 2003 S-Type R but before I look to deep into it how is their reliability when used as a daily driver? I've searched here and online and have found a lot of people say that Jaguar has horrible reliability but then the later year (2005+) S-Types were good. The car I'm looking at has a lot of miles (Just under 80k). Would you trust this car to get you to and from work everyday without having to drop it off at the shop to get fixed all the time?

Thank you in advance

Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

It'll probably come down to whether you get lucky or unlucky. The cars seem fundamentally well made & reliable. I use my 04 STR as my main (well, only!) car and it's so far got 92K.

Parts aren't especially cheap and dealers can be horrific but that's the same for any upmarket car it seems to me. If you can't DIY basic stuff I'd be wary as you can really get gouged at dealers.

BTW this topic keeps coming up so why not do yourself a favour and read the previous threads.

The following users liked this post:
ProjectCamaro (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Unfortunately that agrees with what I've been reading. I'm not sure I want to risk it but I love the S-Type R's so much I'm having a hard time saying no too.

I'll stop by the dealership tomorrow to take a look at it and go off what I see. CarFax does show it as a one owner vehicle and that it has been kept up on but at the same time with as many miles it has it can turn bad fast too.

As much as I'd hate to say it Mercedes Benz are a dime a dozen and I could find one with good miles for a good price without to much trouble. But then again, they are a dime a dozen which I don't like and for the same price range as the S-Type R I won't have nearly the same horsepower.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

As stated many times over the years when this question comes up, DIY maintenance and repairs is the fundamental key to S-Type ownership. If you can handle the vast majority of service and repairs yourself, these are great cars if you stick with 2003 and up (the newer the better). If you must rely on dealer service or even some independent shops, repair costs can clean out your checkbook....

As suggested above, read the FAQs thread here in the S-Type section and then you'll be in a much better position to make an informed decision....

Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I came from a Mercedes E430. It was a nice car, but it didn't stir the soul like my STR. When it was totaled, I didn't look for another one despite it being extremely reliable and an all around nice vehicle; but if my STR was totaled I would definitely look for another.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There's no magical turning point in reliability at 2005 despite the ongoing claims. All modern Jags are just as reliable as any leading brand, the dark days of Lucas are long gone. It does cost more to fix an S-type than a Civic though.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Here's one; how far will an STR go on it's original ZF transmission, especially if the original owner followed the 'sealed for life' guidelines?

I think if you're buying an STR with more than 90k miles on it, and it hasn't had a ZF failure yet, you should look out for one soon...

STR's are cheap to get into, but if you're not prepared to do your own maintenance and repairs, the costs can border on extortion. Call it the 'jaguar tax'. It's not quite the value proposition you may think it is once these things are factored in.

There is a a misconception out there by service/tech people, that the s-type being 'a jaguar' is a mysterious and complex car to diagnose and repair... but to me its really no different than any other (modern) car. This forum is a great resource, with its active and contributing members, shows there is a many STR owners out there choosing to save a lot of money in service and maintenance costs by DIY'ing.

odds (01-11-2013)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

ProjectCamaro, my 03 STR had 85k on the clock when we bumped in to each other. She now has 135k on the original motor and trans., no major repairs to date. This is a head turning, torquey, high horsepower, reliable car that'll dust many metal out there. Did you say that 03 STR you have yer eye on has "only" 85k on the clock?

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe think in terms of what other 400HP cars would cost, deduct cost of STR and there's your maintenance budget. I've no idea what the numbers are in the USA but they're quite big over here.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
Here's one; how far will an STR go on it's original ZF transmission, especially if the original owner followed the 'sealed for life' guidelines?

I think if you're buying an STR with more than 90k miles on it, and it hasn't had a ZF failure yet, you should look out for one soon....
What do you mean by ZF failure? How is that correlated into not changing the tranny fluid?

OP:

Like any other new car, if the engine or tranny go its going to be expensive and heart braking, but beyond that its pretty reasonable especially if you DIY. Also theres an easy 40rwhp to be had for about $1K in mods.

bfsgross (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM

I appreciate the repies, I have already read through the FAQ's and I have no problem working on my own cars. I've built up some cars into some powerful machines in the past so that's not a big deal.

Right now I'm looking between the '03 STR and an '03 MB E320. The MB's power won't be anywhere close to that of the Jaguar's but it is known to be reliable.

I talked to the dealer today that has the STR for sale, I'll be stopping by tomorrow after work and if they still have it I'll probably pick it up. If it's sold I'll take that as a sign to move to the MB.

Originally Posted by bfsgross
ProjectCamaro, my 03 STR had 85k on the clock when we bumped in to each other. She now has 135k on the original motor and trans., no major repairs to date. This is a head turning, torquey, high horsepower, reliable car that'll dust many metal out there. Did you say that 03 STR you have yer eye on has "only" 85k on the clock?
The one I'm looking at has just under 80,000 miles. I normally buy cars with low miles (think 20k range) so I am slightly apprehensive about stepping into a vehicle with the amount of miles on the clock as this one has.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

I have a 2005 STR and it's been the best car I ever had!

Now at 82K miles. Purchased at 32K miles. Some minor problems but the only complaint is it's a rare car with no aftermarket and almost all parts are dealer only.

I have had several minor problems mostly fixed by searching and reading this forum. Especially Brutal we have some very good S Type mechanics on here!

bfsgross (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM

I've made up my mind, if the dealer still has the STR for sale and it is in the condition they state and all their pictures show I'll buy it. If they don't have it then I'll go with the MB as that's the only STR in my area for sale and I really don't want the none R S-Type.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ahh, that a boy! As you drive her off the lot i gaurantee you'll have a grin cheek to cheek. The day I drove mine home a 2010 Dodge Challenger Hemi was terrorizing the average Joes. I came from behind him and scooped him up in a big swoosh...Like an owl picking off a field mouse. The STR begins to cruise at 90 mph. With the K&N a/f, modded air intake tube, 3 lb. pulley, hi-flow cats and x-pipe, she's not too much concerned. A blower port/polish, "Killer Chiller", and ECU tune should bring it all together, making a formidable street/highway machine.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I've made up my mind, if the dealer still has the STR for sale and it is in the condition they state and all their pictures show I'll buy it. If they don't have it then I'll go with the MB as that's the only STR in my area for sale and I really don't want the none R S-Type.
OK, "Camaro" I'm going to beat you up a little..... Why only the R S-Type when you are also seriously considering an E320? The MB is a V6 car..... Huh?

The "R" guys are gonna be a little PO'd at the next statement, but they will have to "technically" agree...

Unlike the AMG cars from Benz, the R from Jaguar is really not that far off from the "standard" S Type. They both use the same transmission, have very similar suspensions, and the interior trim is not that far off either. The big difference is the engine, brakes, and wheels.... The R gets Brembo brakes (through 2005), staggered wheels, and of course the supercharged engine. As for the rest, well it is just trim. Now, the suspension does use unique parts and comes with the CATS active suspension standard, but the regular S Type suspension is so great that Jaguar only "tweaked it" for R duty. Also, if you look hard the more loaded standard cars have CATS as well.

I bring this up because the competition for the R you are looking at is a V6 Benz that had maybe 250hp. If the R isn't up to snuff, why not a 4.2 NA S Type, or heck, the 3.0 for that matter? I personally had the 3.0. It was a strong, rev willing, V6. I personally like the V8 cars better. They hover around 300hp and just have more grunt. Again, I would get the comparison if you were looking at the Jag and a Benz E500...but you are looking at a wimpy E320....

So I took the liberty of doing a quick search on a 500mile radius to a central Wisconsin zip code on Autotrader and here are some interesting V8's to look at.... Psst..BTW... If it was my choice it would be the Jaguar, not the Benz, and we have a 2006 Benz R350.....

Cars for Sale: 2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 in Marion, IL 62959: Sedan Details - 326628825 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2003 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 in Wilmette, IL 60091: Sedan Details - 268315916 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2007 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 in Grand Rapids, MI 49508: Sedan Details - 325783977 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 in St Louis, MO 63128: Sedan Details - 326720056 - AutoTrader.com

And here is a very rare VDP 4.2. I think the VDP package only ran for a year.

Cars for Sale: 2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 in Avon, IN 46123: Sedan Details - 324879473 - AutoTrader.com

I'm sure that these may be too far for you to go, but they prove out that there are plenty of nice V8 S Types out there.... And that doesn't even touch the V6 cars... There are a ton more of those since they were the most popular (like that most E class's are V6's as well).

Think about it....

Last edited by JOsworth; 08-11-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, can't imagine swapping 400HP for an MB (*) with 250HP. No thanks.

(*) or anything!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I
The MB's power won't be anywhere close to that of the Jaguar's but it is known to be reliable..
BTW the 320 Merc is no more reliable than a 03 and up 3.0 Jaguar.....

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Jeff, please stay out of this while I'm working on getting this guy into an STR. Sure the V6 and n/a V8 are capable, but we've detected that "Camaro" suffers from severe horsepower and torque deficiency. Let the 03 STR prevail. We'll let you get the next guy with anemia.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Jeff, please stay out of this while I'm working on getting this guy into an STR. Sure the V6 and n/a V8 are capable, but we've detected that "Camaro" suffers from severe horsepower and torque deficiency. Let the 03 STR prevail. We'll let you get the next guy with anemia.

You crack me up....

I'm not trying to talk him out of the R, more like WTH on the V6 Merc alternative.....

bfsgross (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

LOL! Jeff, I was just ribbing ya and enjoy joking...sometimes too much. I'm with ya on the V6 MB lack of practicality when compared to the Jag.

Quick Reply: 2003 S-Type R Reliability