S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC,ABS disabled Parking brake fault...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DSC,ABS disabled Parking brake fault...

I have a 2003 S-type 4.2

it started doing this about 4 days ago..
I found this thread on the forums and looked into all the sensor's talked about but no luck yet...

when it do's i I get the DSC disable,ABS disable,Engine system fault and the parking brake fault all at the same time. And when it comes on I can not do anything.. it disables the thottle so all it will do is idle until I restart it and then its fine again for a few minutes sumtimes most the time I have to restart it 3 or 4 time to get it to clear long enough to get off the road.

it's also giving a p1000 code ( TP sensor ) but I havent been able to find the stupid bit needed to get it off to look at it or clean it and it was giving a code for the MAF sensor as well but I was able to pull the MAF out and clean the sensor with some B12 and it hasn't givin me that code again.

do's any body know what could cause this or what the possible fix would be?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I would suggest you get the codes read for the ABS. As for the P1000 go to page 3 of this link http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto..._OBD_II_R2.pdf

Cleaning the MAF sensor I do not know what B12 is but CRC makes a MAFS cleaner.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 PM

thank you for the link to that PDF... I have been looking all over for the ODB codes for this car..
I looked up the p1000 code on a generic ODB software that I have.. it works ok for most cars.
B12 is just multi use parts cleaner. I like it cause it dry's in second's and doesn't leave any residue on the part your cleaning.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The OBD codes are in the PDF in the FAQs. Note you MUST follow the new member instructions first.

You have classic symptoms of a failing battery. See the vast number of threads (which go into detail and also on the other most likely causes)......

Also, you can get help on most codes by using the forum Search on the code. P1000 is explained if you Search

Last edited by JagV8; 06-10-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 AM

the battery is pretty new.. about 3 months old if I remember right.

Does any one have a vacuum diagram for a 2003 4.2 S-type?

Last edited by kaine806; 06-10-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member

Get JTIS, it covers the whole car. But - why do you want the vacuum diagram? You don't appear to have a vacuum problem.

If battery is new, are you sure it's OK and that power/ground/charging are good? See those threads as they address these and more.

Last edited by JagV8; 06-10-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM

ok I have gone through the charging system and all iss good there...
I checked all the chassis grounds they are all good and snug. took the battery and have it tested. it check out good....

did a hard reset on the car.. and after that it ran fin for about 20 miles. all check engine lights when't off and I thought it was good to go.. got in it to go to the store later that day and didn't even get out of my drive way and the DSC/ABS lights came back on...

any other thought's as what could cause this? the only code im getting is the p1000 again.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Do you only have the DSC/ABS now? If so, you likely have a genuine fault somewhere in that subsystem (such as a bad wheel sensor).

After a few drives you should get P1111. If you don't, your only way to attempt DIY is your own OBD tool such as a USB elm327 so you can check the OBD monitors as well as looking for codes.

The DSC has its own module and special software is needed to read it to get the codes. Not cheap DIY as you need something such as AutoEnginuity (about $450).

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM

I just ordered AutoEnginuity for both the cars I own... I figured it would be a good investment... there isnt one single shop in this town that I can find that can pull anything other the normal codes from the jag other than the ford dealer.. but they want 150 just to do that..
but it is very pricey peice of software... total for every thing was 674.73 after tax and shipping...

Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

You probably got the new ProLine with that. Yes, it's expensive but pretty much the only (semi-)affordable option.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds very similar to ABS reluctor (tone) ring problems I had on my X Type (and on a Jeep once). Rings got rusty and lost a few teeth, happened several times over the course of about 5 years. Never had a sensor fail. I did have a sensor knocked a little out of place on a Jeep that offered similar symptoms as a broken ring tooth. Cleaned and repositioned, and cleaned the ring and that was that.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 PM

I just finished checking all the wheel speed sencors.. the all test good. my meter picked up the saame amount of teeth on all 4 wheels...
but pulling the tires off i noticed the front ones are not wearing the same as the rear.
going to put a full set of tires on it friday and see if that was the issue... and the USB adaptor will be here on monday so we will see what happens.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaine806
the battery is pretty new.. about 3 months old if I remember right.

Does any one have a vacuum diagram for a 2003 4.2 S-type?
Dude listen to JagV8's advice IT IS THE BATTERY, I had the same exact problem you are having and yes I too thought the battery should not be the problem because it is so strong and cranks up fast, but I was getting all kinds of stupid weird sensor failures left and right and I have a code reader what I would do is reset the codes and thing would be just fine but then when you use it again the next morning I get all the crazy codes again. So finally I decided to buy a BRAND NEW battery, installed it and from that time on I NEVER HAD any crazy stupid error codes or problems anymore. You may think your battery is still good, it is goo enough really for ordinary cars but with our cars because they have TONS of sensors everywhere once the battery is not at its real peak power voltage, it's that minor voltage difference that starts to trigger whichever sensor does not get the exact voltage and then you get all the crazy error codes. Buy a brand new battery and I bet you your problem will be solved.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

something to think about, i changed my emergency brake motor assembly as it wasnt working (stripped gear) and i had ABS and DSC faults. Then again this is on a STR. Not sure if it would cause the same on yours or not.

Can you hear/feel the parking brake engaging when you take the key out?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
something to think about, i changed my emergency brake motor assembly as it wasnt working (stripped gear) and i had ABS and DSC faults. Then again this is on a STR. Not sure if it would cause the same on yours or not.

Can you hear/feel the parking brake engaging when you take the key out?
Yes I can feel and hear it.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Kaine806
This is Engine System Fault which disables the ABS and DSC. The displayed message can cause confusion.
Had the same problem (Error Messages) last year on S Type V8 2005. The fault code I can not recall, but did point to the throttle body when the code was referenced. After checking many other items over several weeks including, firmware update, attemped throttle body "service" and, and, and,........ a new throttle body was the instant fix. Without addressing the throttle body your fault occurrences will become more regular. Have not yet determined whether the fault of throttle body was a slight sticking coming off closed throttle, or discrepancy between the two position feedback sensors.
Cheers, Paul
He appears not to have the same fault (doesn't have any such code). We'll know more when his AutoEnginuity turns up so he can read the codes from the relevant (ABS/DSC) module.

The following users liked this post:
kaine806 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My vote is also for a battery failure. I know you said that the grounds were snug but double check the ground at the rear of the front passenger side fender well. You'll have to pull out the fender liner. Remove, clean with sandpaper, and slober dialectric grease over it. This has been a source of exactly the same issue that I have had.

The following users liked this post:
kaine806 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by matty427
My vote is also for a battery failure. I know you said that the grounds were snug but double check the ground at the rear of the front passenger side fender well. You'll have to pull out the fender liner. Remove, clean with sandpaper, and slober dialectric grease over it. This has been a source of exactly the same issue that I have had.
Thank you for the info... i'v been going through every thing looking for the chassis grounds.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

They're in JTIS, surely. I know many are, can't say if all are but I expect so.

Quick Reply: DSC,ABS disabled Parking brake fault...