Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC/ABS fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DSC/ABS fault

Hello,
Couple questions that I am trying to clarify.

I have read about the DSC and ABS module faults among many of the models. I am trying to rule out the need to purchase wheel speed sensors, as they are nearly 250-300 per sensor.

I have an s-type 3.0 with almost 200K mi on it. For about 2 years the DSC/ABS fault message has been on(please don't judge). I have no cruise and no abs, but the car drives fine and brakes OK, not as good as it could be with ABS but for 200k you can't ask for perfection. Prior to this, the message would randomly come on and off, and now has stayed on, and comes on while in park when i start it cold.

There are a number of reasons I have not had this fixed, that I won't bore you with. What I really need to know...is there a way without taking the car to a dealer to get the codes from the abs module? I have heard that OBD II can't interrogate the ABS system and that there are separate codes for that system and a seaparate type of scanner tool that is really expensive and usually only Jag dealers have.

Additionally, is there a way to identify which speed sensor(if any) is bad so that I am not wasting loads of money on parts that are not bad. I know that the sensors need cleaned, but I had seen that if the ABS/DSC fault message is present while the car is in park, immediately after start, before the wheels turn,it is likely not a dirty sensor(i will be cleaning all of them though).

Thanks in advance for your expertise and freedom from bias of my auto neglecting ways.

Matt

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

May be easier to clean than test but each should be about the same ohms (and if you can spin a wheel should create a similar small transient voltage).

Measure ohms nearby and again from the module to check for wiring problems.

It's probably cheap to get the proper codes read and far less trouble.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Have you checked Battery??? Water in trunk???

In uk front sensors are about $60 and rear about $10

Last edited by police666; 11-11-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

After 2 years if it was the battery, wouldn't it have conked out by now?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Not nessaceraly, it might just cause electrical issues. It might have enough power to start the car but not enough to prevent issues when under load.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe it is the battery. Ireplaced the battery this past summer when I did all the brakes. I am planning on cleaning them, just havent had the time yet. Probably wouldn't be bad to have the codes checked, justworried about running into issues like some others have had when they spent money on speed sensor, only to find out that it wasn't the problem.

You guys on here tend to be a ton more reliable.

Thanks, if there is any other ideas I will certainly use them.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

I think a JLR Mongoose would DIY read codes but a complex tool

Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Yep a JLR Mongoose would help you find the problem, this is the tool I use.

- but you sould really check the battery, cause I had this message once and a couple others and it was due to the battery ( I changed it twice).

-and you sould check on ebay or even for oem's sensors it will be less expensive.

good luck with that and tell us how it went solving this problem!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Well whatever it takes we really need the codes. The ABS problem could be wheel sensors but which one?

It's just too complicated. Have you tried the free code readers at the parts stores? Probably can't get the ABS stuff but it's worth a try and it won't cost you.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone recognise code C1A91 i also have abs light on

Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Any chance that A is something else?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSC light always on and blinking withOUT the "DSC fault" message...

Good morning, All:

Sorry to bug you with my question, here, but I am really frustrated with the dealer and need some expert help after they "screwed" my car. I wish I had read this forum before I reported to their facility/dealership…?! Here is the problem....

I have a 2001 Jaguar S-type 4L with only 84K on it. I keep it well-maintained and have been rather happy with it (except for having to recently replace the headliner at $550 a pop). Last year (2012) I had the right and left outer rear tie bars/rod ends replaced as well as the brake disc/rotars (all at the dealer’s recommendation). They also said I had a “compressor oil leak” and need the AC compressor replaced. That I did NOT do. Two months ago, I had the auto hobby shop on base test for any AC system leak then charge it with Freon and the AC works PERFECTLY.

Now, just last week I had the oil changed and the tires rotated and balanced along with the 80K maintenance checkup. I was told the “front sway arm bushing were broken and needed to be replaced,” so I ordered the parts (it has always worked out cheaper for me to order the part online and have the dealer install) and brought in the vehicle to have the bushings installed. Now, here is where I was rather naïve…only recently, over the past 1.5 years, the DSC Fault indicator light and message has appeared on my console—most recently when I rolled over some crunch snow/ice. The light stayed lit until I turned off the car and restarted it. I figures since I was making a 1,400 mi trip to PA (weather not being all that great along the route) that I would mention it to the Jag mechanic when he installed the front sway bar bushings. Well, 8 hours later I get a call telling me that in his “16 years of experience I have never seen this problem. I even called Jaguar. The DSC system is working as it should, but now the indicator light stays lit all the time. I did a hard-reset and everything. Jaguar says you have to replace the ABS/DSC module part #XR82996800D, and it will fix this, but the car is drivable as is…” I asked for an estimate, and the sheet read ABS/DSC module #XR82996800D and something about “need computer module “02 C219/DA/001”[sic]. The price for this module or system, without labor, is $1,050?!

My frustrations lie in that I brought it in with NO light permanently lit and flashing, and now, that’s what it does, blink constantly while the car is on but withOUT the DSC fault message….

Any suggestions what I really need to do, here? Is the car really safe to drive to PA? Should I just have a Jaguar dealer in PA “fix” the problem, now…?

Please advise, and apologies for the lengthy email—I’m just really frustrated right now…'tis the Season...

~Eric

NB: I have tried to attach a pdf of the estimate sheet to my post in the event that you don't understand what I thought they needed in my post.... ECB

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Burdge-Jaguar Part Request.pdf (288.1 KB, 199 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Default Check up

Ok first of all don't panic !

1- you should check you battery first. ( if you had it since more than 3 or 5 years ) or if you get 10v change it !

2- if it's not your battery it's possible it's a malfunction of the part that you say, but if they told you the dsc/abs was working fine ! this part is not the problem !

3- if you really want to change the piece for a low price you should really check on ebay and not alway go to the dealers.

4- check your fault code yourself with a OBDII scanner

P.S I understand your frustration, I had the same kind of fault on my 2009 xf v8 sc and I replace some part that worth thousand of dollars, I was discouraged and by looking on this forum I found and resolve the problem it was my battery since I changed it I didn't have problems.

hope it help you ! if all of this don't work you should check with an another member name brutal I had him on my friends list that's him that helped me solve my problem.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

The battery was replaced about 2 weeks ago (the dealer told me thecold-crank voltage was below that recommended). The warranty had expired withAutoZone, but I had the 5 year plan, so replaced the battery for less than $50.In my heart-of-hearts, I believe the module was working just fine. Afterreading through the forum, it sounds like the tire just slipped on the snow/iceand provided the fault alert. However, I have no idea what the dealer mechanicdid to get the light to stay lit permanently....?!

Regarding the scanning thing, how do I do that? As you canprobably deduce, I have major experience in other fields, but certainly not with vehicles and their mechanics, and I have lost confidence in the dealership...

Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Default Obdii

You can get an OBDII scanner on ebay for a good price ( check if it fit with your car)

and for you warning message have you try to unplug the battery for at least 24h ?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

What were the codes that Jaguar pulled related to the ABS? If you can get them please post them. If your ABS trouble indication is consistent with weather condition I would be checking the electrical connections to each sensor.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Thanks.
Regarding the scanner, I will check eBay to see what they have.
Regarding the error code, no error code is displayed (like before when the “pencillight” and the tire indicator amber lights would light up and the constantmessage “DSC fault” would appear until I turned the car off then on, again. Now,just the amber tire indicator (DSC) is lit and blinks throughout the drive. IfI switch DSC off, then the console momentarily displays "DSC Off." IfI switch it back on is momentarily shows "DSC On."

Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Gus, thanks for the inquiry.

Not certain, but in your experience, would the Jaguar mechanic have storedthese codes on my vehicle database/service record or would they remember themif I called them, tomorrow, and asked?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Gus, a quick question. Where is this sensor or module located? Can I just look at them myself and pull the part number off the module myself, or does the dealer have to do it? I am NOT very savvy at all with this stuff--boy do I wish I were, now...

Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If your work was performed by Jaguar I would say they have the codes just ask them for it. As for the sensors and plugs you have one for each wheel. As for the ABS module it is located under the hood in the engine compartment front right.

Link to Oneline http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2022001en.pdf

Look on page 61, Fig 05.1

The following users liked this post:
mitral (12-16-2013)

Quick Reply: DSC/ABS fault