S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Issue Periodically

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start Issue Periodically

Hi all, I have a 2006 S Type with a 3.0 engine, left hand drive N.A. I am at the end of my rope with this issue, so any help would save my sanity. This is where I'm currently at. I can start the car with no issues say 20 times, then out of the blue I get in, turn the key and noting happens, meaning all the dash lights come on, but will not fire the spark plugs or coils. I have changed out the battery, I then did hook up a scanner which said B1600 codes (PATS System) it is my understanding that there a few things to the Pats system namely. The key has a chip in it which needs to talk to the ignition cylinder with immobilizer and then go through the instrument cluster, which in turn tells the PCM to start the car. So far, I have had the dealer change out the complete key and reprogram it, still happens, then the dealer changed out the ignition cylinder and immobilizer, still kept happening, then the dealer changed out the instrument panel and reprogrammed that. They swore that this should do it. Nope still happens, it always resets itself sometimes after 2 mins, sometimes after 15 mins, the most it has taken is 30 minuets to reset, then starts fine. The only thing I haven't change or repaired is the PCM. Thank goodness the dealer has not charged me one dime to do all this, as they are baffled and felt that they did not find the fault so why charge me. Phew!!!. Any ideas from your side would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Try using your other key (for weeks if needs be) and see if it also does it.

If you don't have one:
1. someone else has it!!!!
2. get one before you really regret not having one when something happens to the one you do have

BOTH need to be programmed in the same session. That will then wipe the missing one (if one is missing).

Old 11-18-2016, 04:13 PM

Thank You JagV8, we have tried 3 different keys, 2 old, 1 brand new, they all did the same pattern, no start sometimes.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

If you read the codes info (free download) for B1600 and with what's been tried it's perhaps the transceiver - which I guess means the part in the car that reads the key code. Part of the steering column or maybe the SCLM - see what others say.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:11 PM

JagV8, thanks again. Is the transceiver part of the key cylinder/immobilizer? if so that was completely replaced and programed, or a separate module? also what is a SCLM?. The one thing that I keep going back to is that when it will not start, something resets itself. Sometimes quickly, sometimes not so quickly (15 minuets). Then it starts. Now when it will not start, there are no codes showing up. That's why this is driving me crazy.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Did they replace the exciter ring?

Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM

Hus, The key cylinder and ring where completely replaced. Thanks

Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

We know other cars don't do it so I'm now wondering if there may be some aftermarket or other cause (which may be tough to find - as we know from a car with nightmares posted here some time back; the item had been removed badly and the new owner knew nothing except for the problems).

Old 11-19-2016, 06:32 AM

Hi again Jag, there is nothing that has been added after market to this vehicle, I have owed it since new.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

The nearest I've had is if I turned the key _immediately_ after inserting it into the ignition. But it then worked fine after a short time (seconds, not minutes). I took it as a sign of module initialisation / immo not being complete.

Yours sounds different and I think I'm out of ideas other than perhaps to study the elec. guide very closely in the hope of spotting something.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If I recall correctly your dash cluster has a lot to do with the start system. I hope the pros that know that part of the system better than me to chime it on this. I would have it tested if others agree.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Mike, John, Gus . . . greetings from down under.
You have a real brain twister Mike . . . specific, but intermittent symptoms that I think, with no less frustration, I have seen only once previously and that followed some unrelated work behind the dash.

First up though, let me ask a really basic question to help test the relevance to your dilemma - please describe in accurate detail exactly what does and does not happen when you move the ignition key from the "on" to "start" position during one of these "no start" episodes -
  • do the warning lights lit in the "on" position remain lit or extinguish as you turn key to "start"?
  • as you turn key to "start", does the engine crank, but not fire up? or does the engine not crank at all?
  • have you done, or had done, any work around or behind the IC/dash area that might co-incide with the onset?
I read your steps focused on the PATS, but you don't mention the critical feature that is embedded onto the IC assembly. We will know more accurately when you post answers to above, but on these later models (can't speak for pre MY05), the complexity in this area comes down to the 2 (two) multi-pin connectors at the foot of the IC.

You may be lucky and find that the unclip, clean, smear with proper electrical contact lubricant, and re-connect securely . . . will fix the issue. It was just so on the MY07 car cited above . . . and pointed to in Gus' post.

Best wishes,

Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 11-19-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,985 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Forgive me if this sounds completely out of left field, but it almost sounds like an intermittent or misadjusted neutral safety switch. I'd be interested to hear more details in response to Ken's questions in post #12.

For giggles when the car is behaving, try shifting out of P or N and observe the warning lights, etc. when you turn the key to Start. See if the symptoms are the same.

And next time the car acts up, look at the position indicator lights on the J-gate. P or N must be illuminated before the starter can be engaged. The indicator lights are driven by the internals of the transmission, not the shift lever position. If the P or N aren't illuminated when the car is misbehaving, try playing with the shift lever and see if that helps.

A long shot for sure, but it might match your symptoms.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I thought the same thing but felt the dealership would have checked it first. If they did not it is time to find another dealership.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Good call Karl . . . to which we should add to your general theme . . . check the 2 retention bolts that locate and fix the shift cable to the auto trans. These bolts are known to cause shift issues if loose and some have been known to fall out entirely. If the correct shift positioning becomes problematic, then this may affect the positions at which the synchronized gear selection and P/N safety interlock each operate correctly, along the lines that Karl has pointed out.

While there is still a need for accurate answers to questions in post #12, Karl's advice to check this area, is relatively simple to do . . . and certainly recommended IF the engine is not cranking at all.

Best wishes,

Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 11-19-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

+1 check those bolts

do it at least once a year (such as each oil change)

Old 11-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem, stumped me for ages!! I checked everything from park position sensors, PATS, battery, starter motor, ignition circuit... I also had no codes, nothing to assist.

The solution (for me anyway) was to replace both relays R3 and R20 at the same time. (Replacing either independently did not solve the problem.) I also cleaned the connectors within the fuse box which were are now shiny.

I still do get the occasional (once or twice in the last 6+ months) hesitation, but if the engine does not turn over immediately on turning the key, holding it in the start position for less that a second longer and the car will start perfectly.

Hope this helps...

Donna

Old 11-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Default S type 1999 30L

Hi all have a similar problem.Car would cut out about 3 miles from home in the same area, dash lights on...would not start..wair 5-9 minutes and would start and be ok all day. Then would not start when leaving to the shop, around 700 yards away..wait a while and presto, it starts!! Started to not start when stopped and car is parked outside local shop now, walked home due to no starting. Sometime it seems like its on a timer!!! All lights on dash ok, tried both keys but now wont start so its a recovery!! Any ideas will help, have checked all cables for security and no dampness, no engine light showing..Help!!

Old 11-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Follow all the advice in this and previous threads (there is NO other advice). If you find anything new please start a new thread.