S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy?

Hey forum. Don't know much about these vehicles. Looking at buying a 2003 S-Type 4.2 V8 with 133,000 miles for $4k. Seller had to replace the computer modules recently. Any advice comments on this are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

All depends on condition and history. With no details, impossible to say more.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,821 Posts

An S-Type that old and with that many miles is overpriced at $4,000 regardless of condition. Do more research and then decide if you want to offer less money....

Old 09-28-2016, 08:30 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

And of course the question is why did the current owner have to replace the computer modules, and which ones? These car have a very complex control architecture but the "modules" don't regularly need to be replaced.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Default Gearbox fault.

Originally Posted by Keith Colson
Hey forum. Don't know much about these vehicles. Looking at buying a 2003 S-Type 4.2 V8 with 133,000 miles for $4k. Seller had to replace the computer modules recently. Any advice comments on this are greatly appreciated.
Car appearse to be in limp mode when taking off but drives great after that. Is it electrical. Haven't purchased yet.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Shopping in the 4K range, you can do better.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 2,611 Likes on 1,800 Posts

It can be any number of things such as a failing coil on one of the cylinders causing a misfire. The PCM and TCM communicate with each other so a poorly performing engine can cause the TCM to put the gearbox in limp mode.

Is the MIL on and are there any DTCs stored in the system? If there are post them here.

One other possibility is the battery. A failing or weak battery can cause all sorts of electrical 'faults' with these cars. If the battery does not have 12.2 volts across the terminals with the ignition in the off position, the battery must be replaced.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Seller didn't change the modules. Found out that wasn't the problem. Trying to find every reason not to buy it. Biggest positive is paying for it in less than a year.

The following users liked this post:
car5car (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ControlIssues
Shopping in the 4K range, you can do better.
Why be thinking about what I can do?

Old 10-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry Keith,

I didn't mean to offend you. You had originally asked for advice on should you buy or not, with all advice being appreciated. You later state that you are looking for reasons not to buy, with the biggest positive being able to complete payments on a $4000 car in a year.

If overpaying for a car isn't a good reason, overpaying for one with an existing problem should be. Especially if this problem has the potential to be quite expensive. It seems that the seller's story of replaced "modules" may shift better than the car itself.

If this advice isn't what supports your predetermined position, then by all means go for it. After all it is "kind of" your money.

Good luck,
P.T. Barnum

Old 10-02-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Trying to find every reason not to buy it.
'It's broken' is one good reason. Not knowing what's broken or how much it will cost to fix it would be reasons 2 or 3. The repair might cost more than the price of the car.

Biggest positive is paying for it in less than a year.
Even if it wasn't broken, buying a 14 year old high end car and presuming there won't be additional on going costs will end in tears.

Last edited by Mikey; 10-02-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Don't know much about these vehicles.
Can you afford to learn, spending what may be a lot of $$$ and time? If not, don't buy.

You could get lucky. But you need a plan for the rather likely case where you don't.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Seller didn't change the modules. Found out that wasn't the problem. Trying to find every reason not to buy it. Biggest positive is paying for it in less than a year.
I would offer $1000 or so. Check KBB value, they are dirt cheap, except XK.
I guess your car value is about $2500.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Default No offense taken.

Originally Posted by ControlIssues
Sorry Keith,

I didn't mean to offend you. You had originally asked for advice on should you buy or not, with all advice being appreciated. You later state that you are looking for reasons not to buy, with the biggest positive being able to complete payments on a $4000 car in a year.

If overpaying for a car isn't a good reason, overpaying for one with an existing problem should be. Especially if this problem has the potential to be quite expensive. It seems that the seller's story of replaced "modules" may shift better than the car itself.

If this advice isn't what supports your predetermined position, then by all means go for it. After all it is "kind of" your money.

Good luck,
P.T. Barnum
And actually the kbb value of the car in my area is about $4k. Basically just hoping to find out if this would be a steal, a good buy or not. Its pretty clean for its age. Navigation. Shifts smooth in every gear. Just taking off like it's in limp mode. I'm in U.S. Georgia area. Got it up to 80 mph no problem. Really would just like have a decent luxury car like this..

Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 6,260 Likes on 5,460 Posts

Just taking off like it's in limp mode. .
There's the problem. You need to get the codes checked, while you watch, or walk away.

Then you need to post an intro in the new members section. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

Old 10-12-2016, 01:39 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Re: car price, buy or not buy etc. It has been my, over many years, observation that the expected cost to maintain a car of this type (I daily drive an 03 S type R) is going to run you at the low end $150 to a rather, shouldn't be surprised, higher end of $230+ per month to maintain and keep your car nice. This is of course in addition to what every you're paying for the car.

Btw....I also agree the price is too high for the current market.

Two years ago I bought a one owner, dealer maintained, all records since coming off the show room floor 2003 S type R 112K miles with a brand new dealer installed ZF transmission and torque converter for just a 'tad' over 6K.

In the two and change years since I've owned (and loved) this STR the repair bills have been almost equal to the purchase price of 6K ish.....and that's with me doing things like head light bulb replacement (you have to take off the front of the car,...literally), new 'ignition coils and plugs', all my own oil changes as well as gas filter changes, new 'J' box (electronic shift mech.) and other things....not big things but things that add up.

With $1,200 to $1,400 of the close to 6K or more in maintenace being parts only and DIY labor = to about 5K if it had been in shop repairs you can see it is not cheap to own one of these cars.

If you are not a DIY guy, for at least some if not a lot, of your needed maintenance and 'small' repairs and diagnostic's then the cost to maintain is a pretty 'thick ticket'

My suggestion is look and find the absolute best example you can with, if not 'all' records then as long a records history as you can. Talk to and get to know the seller and a one owner car is better than a two owner. A two owner is better than a three....etc.

Great, great cars.......but not inexpensive to keep nice.

Regardless.......wishing you the very best of luck.....!!

M.W. L.

Current 03 STR Quartz/lt gry
Past XK140 DHC

Old 10-12-2016, 04:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently (April this year) proud owner of a S-Type 4.2 V8 with some tips maybe

Check exhaust, i had to replace one muffler.
Check headlights, drooping seems to be an issue with some Jags.
Check transmission, depending on millage ofcourse all transmissions eventually needs oil replacement and ore more (can be expensive) !
Check Cooling, expansian tank seems to be an S issue, they dry out and can cause coolant engine warnings.
Check for rust, trunk and front under sideskirts are main spots.
Suspension,Breaks, if you hear any noises driving (bad roads) check it, replacing arms etc. also can be expensive.
Check if all electrics work, mirrors (softclose), sunroof, windows, etc. etc.

And most important check the engine for strange noises etc. etc. if it had decent maintenance it should be ok, the V8 seems pretty "bombproof" and even high millage should not be a problem.

New original parts are not cheap ! Lots of good as new parts can be found with some patience and if you are handy enough it saves significant money

Get an OBDII so you can do the first diagnostics yourself.

Sofar i havent had major issues besides the ones i knew from start.

Overall with some TLC this V8 4.2 is a lovely car to drive imo and puts a smile on my face if someone thinks he's fast

Last edited by Droops; 10-12-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Very sound advice and a great picture.....cool