US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts
Default 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse - or in this case the F-Type before the lobster - but I would, might be, be game to put something together for next year. I have already received a couple of PM's saying they will watch "the lobster thread" (before there even was one) so anything, I guess, is possible.

Of course it doesn't have to be elaborate - even if I did organize a full 4-day event in 1997 called the NSX Fall Classic (in and around NYC, including renting out Bridgehampton Racetrack, just before they turned it into a golf course) and in 1999 the 3-day event called the NSX Spring Fling - plus this is Maine, not NYC.

Still, considering at least one Forum member mentioned driving up here for lobster from Texas, some planning would be needed. I do know J-A-N-E (Jaguar Association of New England) has some sort of event/drive planned for next year so that might be an option too, even if I believe that that's held in Massachusetts.

In any event, there are far worse places to come to than Maine, any time of the year and, indeed, there are some fabulous places to eat and stay and, yes, drive (although back in 1997 and 1999 and other years while leading as many as 50 NSX's on a spirited romp - pre-9/11 - we all escaped ticket-free...now is quite a different time).

My first thoughts would be setting up hotel accommodations in Portland, Maine (the Ferrari Club of North America stayed there recently): The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection: Portland Unique Hotels

I'd even recommend dinner at their restaurant, Union, either the night of arrival, presumably a Friday or the following night (presumably a Saturday): Portland Maine Resturants. I eat here all the time and it's fabulous.

Breakfast 30 minutes north of Portland at https://www.facebook.com/blueberriesfood/, where one Forum member can tell you how great that is, followed by a possible destination drive: Owls Head Transportation Museum | Owls Head Transportation Museum (lobster rolls for lunch?).

Dinner back in Portland in any number of places (and it doesn't have to be seafood).

But this is all very premature, isn't it?

The following users liked this post:
Carlg07 (01-05-2016)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

We're there (depending on exactly when).

Thanks Jay!

Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Jay,
Sounds like you are exactly the man for this job. Let me know if there is any planning with which I can assist. For folks blasting in from parts unknown, we could also set up meet-up locations to caravan in.

Lance

Old 11-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Well, taking your lead, perhaps you can post my thread on the Northeast Region of this Forum? Any region actually...

I'm happy to take the lead of organizing this - without getting into details, I spent months putting together my NY Events (you have no idea) - premature though it is. I certainly know the best places to eat in the State of Maine and I'm sure we would all have a grand time no matter what direction - literally and figuratively - that weekend might take. My brain is already working on it; witness my post.

I suppose the first order of business is to get a sense when this might occur? Starting, presumably, on a Friday? In May? June? Earlier/later?

Old 11-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

May might be perfect or early June. I'm in. As long as it's not Black Fly season.....they might carry the cars away! I love Maine in the spring. Count me in.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

If it works out right, I'll take a two week vacation and do another F-Type road trip across the country. I figure another day at Tail of the Dragon would also be appropriate.

Fresh Maine Lobster... I can taste it already!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

sounds awesome. hope you guys do it. makes me want to do a dungeness crab run here in SF but you guys might have heard, our crabs are toxic this year :-(

Old 11-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

While there's no question that the best way to enjoy a lobster is steamed - that's the way I would cook it for friends at our home; along with steamed Maine potatoes, steamed corn on the cob slathered with amazing Maine-made (Casco Bay brand) salted butter with a home-made blueberry pie for dessert (made with the small but extremely flavorful Maine blueberries) - I'm thinking lobster rolls for lunch from one of the following;

Libby?s Market - 70 Photos - Seafood - Brunswick, ME - Reviews - Yelp
(Owned by dear friends, he's a lobsterman)

Red?s Eats - 308 Photos - Seafood - Wiscasset, ME - Reviews - Yelp
(World-famous and who catered my wedding 12 1/2 years ago...which means I don't have to wait on one of their world famous lines).

Brass Compass Cafe - 44 Photos - Seafood - 305 Main St - Rockland, ME - Reviews - Yelp
(For one of their delicious Lobster Club sandwiches).

And that's just for starters...

Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Well, taking your lead, perhaps you can post my thread on the Northeast Region of this Forum? Any region actually...
Once we set the date,I'll launch on getting the word out. I personally would prefer May or July, but could do the first weekend in June if necessary.

We should also consider who all to invite. Though we had no cars other than F-Types at the Lancaster event today, it would be great to mingle with the predecessors. I suggest all 2 door Jags be invited (C,D,E and XKs), even though few might show.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Once we set the date,I'll launch on getting the word out. I personally would prefer May or July, but could do the first weekend in June if necessary.

We should also consider who all to invite. Though we had no cars other than F-Types at the Lancaster event today, it would be great to mingle with the predecessors. I suggest all 2 door Jags be invited (C,D,E and XKs), even though few might show.
Might I suggest [you, or someone] establishing one of those "polls" listing possible dates on this thread? Presumably Friday, Saturday, Sunday? I can then reach out to the Press Hotel - and make inquiries [re] other places of interest; i.e. Owl's Head - on behalf of those interested in staying there...

Old 11-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Might I suggest [you, or someone] establishing one of those "polls" listing possible dates on this thread? Presumably Friday, Saturday, Sunday? I can then reach out to the Press Hotel - and make inquiries [re] other places of interest; i.e. Owl's Head - on behalf of those interested in staying there...
Will do. I will set up a Doodle Poll so that people can go back in and change their responses until we firm up the date. I'll post the link shortly.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

In addition to dining - either Friday or Saturday night - at Union at The Press Hotel, here are three other alternatives:

Emilitsa | Traditional Greek Restaurant in Portland, Maine | Home
(Upscale Greek and one of our favorite places to dine in Portland)

Street and Co.
(Beautiful place for great seafood - including a fabulous selection of oysters)

DiMillo's on the Water
(I hesitate to mention the #1 tourist destination restaurant in Portland although the food has gotten better over the years and they can easily accommodate a large group, which one assumes we might be).

More to come...

Old 11-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default Scheduling Poll

Please use the available link to indicate your availability for next summer. Please participate in the poll (using your forum member name) only if you are seriously considering to attend.

Doodle Poll: 2016 F-Type Lobster Run-Maine

Thanks, Lance

Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Just recorded my votes.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

But this is all very premature, isn't it?
Premature, or immature? Either way, I'm in depending on the date. There are a number of Boston-area owners on here we could round up. I've only met one, though he was on another forum.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Posted my availability. My son will be graduating this year and ceremonies will be first weekend in June. I'm not going to miss that. Otherwise its all about requesting time off from work.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

I plan on adding a docent-led tour - which I think I should be able to arrange; and if not I'll lead it! - of the splendid Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, Maine with their spectacular collection everything Wyeth; N.C, Andrew, and Jamie after our visit to Owls Head.

Thought you'd like to know.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

To keep things all in the one place and make Jay's life a little easier I'm going to close this thread.
Anyone interested in joining the run can post in the original thread in the F Type section linked below, all types of Jaguar are welcome.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...er-run-152903/