New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Planning to buy a Jaguar......suggestions/advise please

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to buy a Jaguar......suggestions/advise please

Hello All,

I always wanted to own a Jaguar! I have owned Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler, Toyota Corolla. I am planning to buy an used Jaguar S-type car. After using it for 3 to 4 years, will either continue with the same Jaguar or go for another Jaguar model.

To begin with, I don't want to invest a lot and also don't want to go beyond 10 years old car. I am not aware of the repair costs and maintenance expense.

Currently I am looking at a 2006 Jaguar S-type 3.0 L V6, which has 86,000 miles andis available with a private seller. He might quote a price and of course we will negotiate.

Kindly let me know:

1. What should be the average price of a 2006 Jaguar S-type 3.0 L that is in good condition with 86,000 miles?
2. In my town/city I live in, we don't have a Jaguar Dealer/Service center. Will regular garages and mechanic shops do oil changes and repair work? Ford has owned Jaguar for a while, will their Service centers repair them?
3. Generally there is a myth about imported cars like Jaguar and German made cars that they are VERY expensive to maintain and repair. Doing some research online....it looks like, the Maintenance and/or repair costs will be approximately 50% more than regular vehicles made by Jeep, Honda, Toyota etc.
4. Pros and Cons
5. Any additional information / suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Welcome.

I am biased, and DOWN here, so i have NO input to suit your market.

I have always found my Jags reliable, cheap to keep, ONCE SORTED from the previous owner/slack maintainer/whatever, and that is where the $$ go.

My advice to anyone about any car:

That person is selling it for a reason, and the truth behind that is often clouded. You want a car (his maybe), and he wants your many, end of story.

The members in your market will slide through soon and offer their opinions.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Cherokee,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

There's nothing difficult about maintaining a Jaguar - it's repairs that can get expensive if you need to rely on professional help. A comprehensive service history detailing scheduled servicing and repairs with no unexplained gaps is critical when assessing any potential purchase.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/ to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-lower-atlantic-nc-sc-fl-ga-66/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,783 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

welcome to the forum- enjoy!!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Cherokee,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=Cherokee;1330567]Hello All,

I always wanted to own a Jaguar! I have owned Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler, Toyota Corolla. I am planning to buy an used Jaguar S-type car. After using it for 3 to 4 years, will either continue with the same Jaguar or go for another Jaguar model.

To begin with, I don't want to invest a lot and also don't want to go beyond 10 years old car. I am not aware of the repair costs and maintenance expense.

Currently I am looking at a 2006 Jaguar S-type 3.0 L V6, which has 86,000 miles andis available with a private seller. He might quote a price and of course we will negotiate.

Kindly let me know:

1. What should be the average price of a 2006 Jaguar S-type 3.0 L that is in good condition with 86,000 miles?
2. In my town/city I live in, we don't have a Jaguar Dealer/Service center. Will regular garages and mechanic shops do oil changes and repair work? Ford has owned Jaguar for a while, will their Service centers repair them?
3. Generally there is a myth about imported cars like Jaguar and German made cars that they are VERY expensive to maintain and repair. Doing some research online....it looks like, the Maintenance and/or repair costs will be approximately 50% more than regular vehicles made by Jeep, Honda, Toyota etc.
4. Pros and Cons
5. Any additional information / suggestions?

Thanks in Advance![/QUOTE

X-Type is a nice little luxury Jag. I had my third X-Type(all used), the reason Jag. Don't sale a lots of X-Type other than it got low rate by the media is: Jag. Only have the dealers in the big cities, lots of people want to buy an X-Type don't know where 's the dealers, and some were intimidate to walk in a new Jag. Dealer. Now, I have some advices if you want to buy a Jag. I see you look for a used X-Type, obviously you don't have much money like me, to own a Eurpean car repair and manternant are expensive, so you should be prepare to do the work yourself, buy a lowest mileage you can find and latest model year you can afford and take the best care you can do, invest in some set of tools, a good floor jack, a pair of ramps and a pair of jack stand, an OBD code reader.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 937 Posts

OK, then. I'm directly comparing 10-20 year old cars to other 10-20 year old cars . Not some factory prepped new Corvette etc. sent to a magazine for a starry-eyed review that depends on how much advertising space . Chevy ponied up for.

​​​​​​​..... I'm driving in the real world, and in that place, the used Corvettes suck in every way you can measure.

Z

Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
OK, then. I'm directly comparing 10-20 year old cars to other 10-20 year old cars . .....

Where did you dig this up?

The OP, Cherokee posted the question on October 18th 2015 and only visited the forum once again the following day.

Graham

Old 02-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 937 Posts

Oops. My post belongs on a different part of the Jag forum . Don't know how it for posted here. Black magic maybe ?
Z

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-07-2018)